• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FCC franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickynoide

Hi all,

I have applied for trainee train driver for FCC at Kings Cross and I'm due to attend the assessment day. During these days i found out that FCC's franchise on the Thameslink route is due to end in september this year.
What would happen if they lose the bid for the franchise? Would I still get a job?
I'm so worried right now...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bystander

Hi all,

I have applied for trainee train driver for FCC at Kings Cross and I'm due to attend the assessment day. During these days i found out that FCC's franchise on the Thameslink route is due to end in september this year.
What would happen if they lose the bid for the franchise? Would I still get a job?

There'll be no effect at all on you, in terms of the recruitment process and the availability of your job. Don't worry. The only effect on you if the franchise were to change hands, would be the colour of your uniform and what it says on your payslip! Well, mostly. In a perverse outcome, TOCs often ramp up recruitment towards the end of their franchises because there are contractual penalty clauses for the operator if they "hand the keys over" with insufficient manpower, etc.

Really, don't worry. It's how I got my trainee driver's job - in exactly such a "late franchise" burst of recruiting enthusiasm after years of them surviving on undermanning with rest day work cover.

Last edited:

rickynoide

Alright!! Feel much better now, thank you! Actually I think it's what is going on because on the job page it was saying "starting in september".

Sparkybill

Hi All,

Appreciate the info. 'Bystander'. I am also going for the assessment in a couple of weeks and also found your comments informative and helped to 'put my mind to rest'!. Cheers.

Good Luck Rickynoide, perhaps we might be there together if it's on 8th May, but anyway all the best.

jamess115

Hi all,

As far as I am aware, the 6 month extension to the franchise from march thru sept will be taken over by an already agreed (by dept of transport) super franchise involving Southern, Thameslink and FCC East Coast services. This will inevitably mean more trains, more passengers and a greater need for staff. I wouldn't concern yourself too much.

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
Hi all,

Don't be worried. Right now they are starting to recruit drivers as a reaction to the new fleet and increased work load coming in the next few years. Both FCC and Southern have been actively recruiting drivers for this reason as both companies have advanced teams going to Germany next year to train on the Class 700s which leaves gaps that need filling now.

A-driver

Established Member
Don't be worried. Right now they are starting to recruit drivers as a reaction to the new fleet and increased work load coming in the next few years. Both FCC and Southern have been actively recruiting drivers for this reason as both companies have advanced teams going to Germany next year to train on the Class 700s which leaves gaps that need filling now.

The actual reason they are recruiting is that most depots have numerous vacant lines in the roster-especially kings x & Bedford. They have to end their franchise with a full compliment of drivers and a high number are currently leaving to go to other companies or retire. FCC won't be overly concerned about covering training etc until they know if they will be running the TSGN. The advance teams out to Germany are minimal-a case of 2 or 3 drivers from each of the 3 regions (GN, TL, SN). The gaps that will be left by those people are a mere drop in the ocean compared to the large number of driver vacancies they have in the roster and have had for a number of years. At the moment the only GN depot fully staffed is kings Lynn.

Class377/5

Established Member
The actual reason they are recruiting is that most depots have numerous vacant lines in the roster-especially kings x & Bedford. They have to end their franchise with a full compliment of drivers and a high number are currently leaving to go to other companies or retire. FCC won't be overly concerned about covering training etc until they know if they will be running the TSGN. The advance teams out to Germany are minimal-a case of 2 or 3 drivers from each of the 3 regions (GN, TL, SN). The gaps that will be left by those people are a mere drop in the ocean compared to the large number of driver vacancies they have in the roster and have had for a number of years. At the moment the only GN depot fully staffed is kings Lynn.

The advanced team is already chosen as I know the guy whose leading our lot with Southern doing the same and your very wrong with figures its around 25-30 on the advanced teams. GN aren't included as there a need to train Thameslink and Southern drivers for the first units. There is part of both FCC/Southern franchise that states they are too recruit drivers for the TRSP which they have done. Of course this has been mixed in with general recruitment driver for gaps on the roster.

A-driver

Established Member
The advanced team is already chosen as I know the guy whose leading our lot with Southern doing the same and your very wrong with figures its around 25-30 on the advanced teams. GN aren't included as there a need to train Thameslink and Southern drivers for the first units. There is part of both FCC/Southern franchise that states they are too recruit drivers for the TRSP which they have done. Of course this has been mixed in with general recruitment driver for gaps on the roster.

At the moment southern drivers have been applying for jobs at 3 bridges which will involve travelling to Germany to learn the stock and train other drivers. FCC havnt created an actual job for it like southern have but have chosen several drivers in the TL. GN drivers are also involved but we only have one driver per depot (excluding Lynn as there are no plans for Lynn men to get 700work) but kings x, Hitchin, cambs and Pbo all have a driver involved who will travel to Germany to have a say in design etc along with all the other drivers. Plus our company council reps have had a big say in the design-since the mock up there have been changes made to the cabs such as raised door controls, a different DSD pedal set up etc.

This recruitment drive won't get driver numbers above current establishment, certainly on the GN, as there simply isn't room on training courses to cover the current gaps combined with the high number retiring and moving to other TOCs.

Class377/5

Established Member
At the moment southern drivers have been applying for jobs at 3 bridges which will involve travelling to Germany to learn the stock and train other drivers. FCC havnt created an actual job for it like southern have but have chosen several drivers in the TL. GN drivers are also involved but we only have one driver per depot (excluding Lynn as there are no plans for Lynn men to get 700work) but kings x, Hitchin, cambs and Pbo all have a driver involved who will travel to Germany to have a say in design etc along with all the other drivers. Plus our company council reps have had a big say in the design-since the mock up there have been changes made to the cabs such as raised door controls, a different DSD pedal set up etc.

This recruitment drive won't get driver numbers above current establishment, certainly on the GN, as there simply isn't room on training courses to cover the current gaps combined with the high number retiring and moving to other TOCs.

Southern are recruiting drivers as its in their franchise to do provide drivers for stock moves around Three Bridges (I've got the staff ad). FCC as the lead TOC in the TRSP did it differently as they were contracted too.

Its only been sensible the drivers had an input into the design and I'm well ware of that. (Not that it was just drivers whose had an impact on the design either).

Status
Not open for further replies.