• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Felix the Huddersfield Station Cat passes away

WibbleWobble

Awww no! As alluded to, 12 is relatively young unless there was an underlying issue.
Sounds like cancer (it is mentioned in the "notes to editors"):
Felix was humanely put to sleep at a local vet due to the discovery of tumours which led [to] medical complications.
12 years is a very decent age for an outdoors cat, it is usually domestic cats who live much longer (and it ultimately depends on species).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Travelmonkey

It is a shame I always wanted to find one of the official railway moggies hopefully Bolt is coping with the loss and can keep the mantle of Huddersfield as the station with a famous cat RIP Felix,

Howardh

Established Member
It is a shame I always wanted to find one of the official railway moggies hopefully Bolt is coping with the loss and can keep the mantle of Huddersfield as the station with a famous cat RIP Felix,
Wonder if they can visit a cat sanctuary and find a replacement and friend for Bolt - and fingers crossed they get on?

T-Karmel

Devastating news to a cat lover that I am myself... It wasn't ideal to find out about it twenty minutes prior to my last drive of the day!

I've known of her from before I started on the railway, yet I only made it to Huddersfield just last month. I wasn't lucky enough to meet her, but I've seen Bolty boy and I was introduced to a new recruit - Buddy, if I remember the name correctly. Seems like Bolt won't be left on his own after the loss.

trainophile

Established Member
Devastating news to a cat lover that I am myself... It wasn't ideal to find out about it twenty minutes prior to my last drive of the day!

I've known of her from before I started on the railway, yet I only made it to Huddersfield just last month. I wasn't lucky enough to meet her, but I've seen Bolty boy and I was introduced to a new recruit - Buddy, if I remember the name correctly. Seems like Bolt won't be left on his own after the loss.

That's good news. A cat needs a pal around the place. Although George at Stourbridge Junction seems to manage okay with just his doting servants!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Cats are very tough (RIP to our lost friend) , we had a young - thought to be male turned up on the up slow platfom at St Albans - "he" settled in" in the old Station Managers office with bed , water food etc and .both staff and passengers made a fuss. Life was fun , chasing the odd pigeon etc.

On the passengers was a vet so he took him off for a check. "Brian" turned out to be a lady and was chipped. From Mill Hill I recall so she got returned to her missing owners. Must have scored a ride on a 319 to see the world.

waterboo

Is 12 not the number of years that she has been at Huddersfield as opposed to the true age of the cat?

Parallel

Established Member
Sad to hear Felix has passed away.

Visited Huddersfield station last year - she wasn't around. I did get to meet Bolt though.

I did get to meet Nala a couple of weeks ago at Stevenage - she was indeed sat on the ticket barriers!

LowLevel

Established Member
I have to tip my hat to Felix - she was despite the adoration a typical cat - famous, well known and loved by probably millions of people, most of whom would never know the horror of being blanked or having their fingers nipped by her as she was actually notoriously mardy :lol:

I felt rather sad to read she had snuffed it this morning. I've known many railway cats and whether they're grumpy or cuddlebugs who like to sit on your paperwork I'm very fond of them and think they make a fine addition to any railway facility. My local station has recently acquired a cat and she is a very calming influence.

The end of the chapter for Felix but she'll be remembered.

mike57

Established Member
I'm very fond of them and think they make a fine addition to any railway facility
And they are very effective at vermin control, mice and larger vermin will keep out of the way of a cat, even if the cat doesn't kill that many. Having sat on Manchester Victoria station in the rush hour and seen mice running around on the platform much to the upset of some passengers a cat is a good way to control them. Poison can be indiscriminate and is often ineffective, and other methods of control frequently dont work. Cats also discourage pigeons which are another problem on some platforms.

R.I.P. Felix. I really enjoyed reading both the Felix books, and I'd only just sent the first one off to a friend in the US when I found out the sad news.

At first I couldn't find a report of the death on the BBC news website, but eventually found that they'd put Huddersfield in South Yorkshire.

izvor

Tonbridge station has had various cats over the years, fondly remembered, but seemingly none at present. These fine plaques are on platform 3.

Toncat.JPG