• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Feltham and Wokingham Resignalling

Gloster

Established Member
As I don’t think that there are any level-crossings in the area except for the one at the south end of Strawberry Hill station, I would presume that they are using an area alongside the line for a crane, storage or parking. There are a couple of possible areas around Twickenham station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deepeetw

As I don’t think that there are any level-crossings in the area except for the one at the south end of Strawberry Hill station, I would presume that they are using an area alongside the line for a crane, storage or parking. There are a couple of possible areas around Twickenham station.

The only place I can think of that is used to turn buses by the railway (in the area covered by the re-signalling) is the old Albany stand near Twickenham station, as you suggest.

Not a level crossing though.

Gloster

Established Member
Not a level crossing though.
It could simply be that at some point during the preparation of the press release to the public several items have been combined and nobody has properly proofread or cross checked the final product. Or all road closures might have been lumped together and when producing a list for the general public, nobody noticed the retention of another item.

Ian Hardy

In the Level crossing closures, they mention

Arriva Bus Turning Point, Twickenham

I can't for the life of me work out where that is, anybody else here know better?

Thanks!
I think that they mean the Twickenham Albany Bus Stand will be closed (which is not a level crossing at all), this is on the opposite side of London Road from the present station, but it was the forecourt of the old station which closed in 1954.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think that they mean the Twickenham Albany Bus Stand will be closed (which is not a level crossing at all), this is on the opposite side of London Road from the present station, but it was the forecourt of the old station which closed in 1954.
Now you’ve pinned it down, it’s obviously an ideal access point for craneage, as suggested by @Gloster above.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I did assume it was The Albany when reading it too. Never seen an Arriva bus there though (they don’t come to these parts).
Yes I saw your reply too, but didn’t click on as to where the bus stand actually was at the time...

Ian Hardy

I did assume it was The Albany when reading it too. Never seen an Arriva bus there though (they don’t come to these parts).
Someone may have got predictive text and started typing Albany but Arriva appeared instead, do people not proof read things before they publish them???

Ian Hardy

It seems as though Network Rail has extended the commissioning work at Easter to include Tuesday 6th April as well, their press release:
https://www.networkrailmediacentre....o-improve-train-services-in-south-west-london
SWR's engineering work page:
https://www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey/planned-improvements/april-2021-works
& SWR's Easter poster:
https://www.southwesternrailway.com...~/media/87880fc0c5cb4445aec07edf4256d030.ashx

Although on Fri, Sat & Mon the Windsor trains stop at all stations via the Hounslow loop, on Tuesday they are fast between Barnes and Hounslow.

I suspect that a few people are going to get a surprise on Tuesday when there are no trains?

SWT_USER

Thanks @Cowley , coincidentally I was looking for this thread earlier.

Once this current block is finished will it mean the end of the almost constant weekend engineering works between Staines and Waterloo?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think with hindsight some of the info about the current closures found in the recent “Staines Station” thread possibly belongs here.

TEW

Established Member
Thanks @Cowley , coincidentally I was looking for this thread earlier.

Once this current block is finished will it mean the end of the almost constant weekend engineering works between Staines and Waterloo?
There's usually a few follow up possessions but should be nearly done on that section. The Wokingham area is still to be resignalled too so there will be more possessions at that end of the line.

SWT_USER

I think with hindsight some of the info about the current closures found in the recent “Staines Station” thread possibly belongs here.

Thanks for that, I'd missed it.

There's usually a few follow up possessions but should be nearly done on that section. The Wokingham area is still to be resignalled too so there will be more possessions at that end of the line.

Thanks - selfishly my concern is the Staines to Brentford and Waterloo. Feels like we've had hardly any weekends without disruption over the past year.

Goldfish62

Established Member
It's all over for Feltham ASC (1974-2023). As of this weekend and through next week the final sections (Windsor/Virginia Water to Whitton/Barnes Bridge) are being commissioned and transferred to Basingstoke ROC.

There just remains the Wokingham area to commission next Spring and that'll be the largest recent resignalling scheme in the NR Wessex Area complete.

Screenshot from opentraintimes today:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230827_144153_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_144153_Chrome.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 92

Freightmaster

Established Member
It's all over for Feltham ASC (1974-2023). As of this weekend and through next week the final sections (Windsor/Virginia Water to Whitton/Barnes Bridge) are being commissioned and transferred to Basingstoke ROC.
To be pedantic, this phase of resignalling starts from Egham; Virginia Water through to Rusham Level Crossing
just west of Egham was completed in April 2022.

Still a lot to commission in seven days, mind!

MARK

Goldfish62

Established Member
To be pedantic, this phase of resignalling starts from Egham; Virginia Water through to Rusham Level Crossing
just west of Egham was completed in April 2022.

Still a lot to commission in seven days, mind!

MARK
Yes, I knew it was somewhere between V Water and Egham, but not exactly where.

Agreed. It's a huge task considering how vast the scheme is (yet strangely has received little attention here and elsewhere).

traji00

There just remains the Wokingham area to commission next Spring and that'll be the largest recent resignalling scheme in the NR Wessex Area complete.

Screenshot from opentraintimes today:
This was at Staines this weekend:

Attachments

• 8A07FA50-828F-4C45-9BB4-7F3AFA8ECD78.jpeg
    8A07FA50-828F-4C45-9BB4-7F3AFA8ECD78.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 121

Goldfish62

Established Member
This was at Staines this weekend:
Nice touch.

Job completed:
Earlier today, Saturday, 2 September, Network Rail has reached a major milestone in its £116m Feltham and Wokingham re-signalling programme when it successfully switched on 116 new state-of-the-art digital signals between Barnes and Virginia Water, Windsor & Eton Riverside and Hounslow.

That part of the railway network had been closed for 14 days while Network Rail engineers worked around the clock to commission the new signals and complete the upgrading of seven level crossings that were also part of the programme.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Going well... Cancellations due to a signal failure between Staines and Windsor :'(
Yes, saw that!

Hopefully just teething problems, but after recent axle counter failures on the Windsor and Chertsey branches today we had what appears to have been a major level crossing failure at Pooley Green, blocking both lines for around two hours.

I'm sure it will soon all get much better...

The now former Feltham ASC was looking forlorn and rather sorry for itself when I walked past it today.

Last edited:

AY1975

Established Member
The now former Feltham ASC was looking forlorn and rather sorry for itself when I walked past it today.
I presume it's part of the same complex as NR's Network House office building diagonally opposite Feltham station on the north side of the line, although the map on waze.com gives its address as Crendon Court, 7 Hanworth Road on the south side of the line.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I see that Traksy has now got the Feltham area feed sorted, up and running. The OTTher site has not.
Pat
I emailed Open Train Times about it last month but never received a response, so I'm wondering if the site is still supported. As it stands it's still showing the pocession in the Staines area from late August.

Last edited:

Dunfanaghy Rd

I emailed Open Train Times about it last month but never received a response, so I'm wondering if the site is still supported. As it stands it's still showing the procession in the Staines area from late August.
I gave them up for lost years ago. Absolutely useless to a (ex-) freighty. Every link seemed to go to a class 2 in the NE of England.
Pat

deepeetw

I emailed Open Train Times about it last month but never received a response, so I'm wondering if the site is still supported. As it stands it's still showing the pocession in the Staines area from late August.

They posted something on Twitter about it being on their to-do list, but it is down prioritised due to other (paying) industry work.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I presume it's part of the same complex as NR's Network House office building diagonally opposite Feltham station on the north side of the line, although the map on waze.com gives its address as Crendon Court, 7 Hanworth Road on the south side of the line.
It is indeed next door to Network House. Crendon Court is a smallish block of flats across the railway (and indeed visible from the former box), on the same small crescent as the Alf King Children’s Centre and the Headquarters of the World Zoroastrian Organisation

Never a dull moment in Feltham….

Goldfish62

Established Member
Possession 10th to 18th February Reading - Bracknell / Guildford to commission Wokingham area, the final part of the whole scheme.

Last edited: