• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ferrybridge Power Station

GardenRail

Good news for the rail industry, but in reality who might use it. It seems plans are afoot to turn the old site into an industrial site, that is to keep it's rail connection.

If it's anything like the waste of a rail connected building at Tinsley though, it won't get used for anything.

Mr Gilmore said rail tracks which loop the site would be maintained and access to a wharf on the river would be retained for future use.
Coal used to arrive by barge on the Aire and Calder Navigation until the 1990s, and around 17 coal trains a day would use the branch line off the main Dearne Valley Line route between York and Sheffield.
The meeting was told highways improvements would help reduce traffic congestion in the centre of Ferrybridge.
Committee members said they hoped more could be done to encourage alternatives to road transport when more detailed building plans are submitted.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
As you ask, who might use it. There are plenty of industrial users who might, with a distribution centre being most likely. Depending on what other users exist on site, then a consolidation centre might also be feasible.

And it's a lot easier to use a connection that exists than it is to create a new one.

class 9

The 2 small Energy from waste plants at Ferrybridge have a dedicated siding with gantry cranes that AFAIK have never been used.
I very much doubt that the new development will generate any rail traffic at all.

GardenRail

The 2 small Energy from waste plants at Ferrybridge have a dedicated siding with gantry cranes that AFAIK have never been used.
I very much doubt that the new development will generate any rail traffic at all.
I always see these from the A1 and wondered what they were for. Who makes these decisions to install infrastructure with no need for it.

najaB

Veteran Member
Box ticking for the planners.
To some extent yes, it is just box ticking. However, it's a lot easier to bring an dilapidated but extant railhead into service than one that doesn't exist if and when a user eventually shows up.

YorksLad12

Established Member
I always thought it would be a good place for a park & ride site, though it would need some trains on that route. Possibly also an exit from the A1/M62 ;)

D6130

Established Member
Regular gypsum trains to Hull Docks.
Not any more I suspect since the closure of the Ferrybridge 'C' coal-burning plant. The gypsum (Calcium Sulphate) was a by-product of passing the coal flue gasses (Sulphur Dioxide) through a bed of crushed limestone (Calcium Carbonate). That's going to become a rare commodity now that Drax rarely burns coal.

littledude

Not any more I suspect since the closure of the Ferrybridge 'C' coal-burning plant. The gypsum (Calcium Sulphate) was a by-product of passing the coal flue gasses (Sulphur Dioxide) through a bed of crushed limestone (Calcium Carbonate). That's going to become a rare commodity now that Drax rarely burns coal.
The gypsum trains run *from* Hull Docks, not to, and import gypsum for the Siniat plasterboard factory

D6130

Established Member
The gypsum trains run *from* Hull Docks, not to, and import gypsum for the Siniat plasterboard factory
Didn't realise that. Thanks for the clarification. Having driven Drax-Kirkby Thore gypsum trains in the past, I had assumed that all the gypsum came from UK power stations....but now that they are on the cusp of extinction, I suppose the gypsum has to be imported.

littledude

Didn't realise that. Thanks for the clarification. Having driven Drax-Kirkby Thore gypsum trains in the past, I had assumed that all the gypsum came from UK power stations....but now that they are on the cusp of extinction, I suppose the gypsum has to be imported.
No problem!

Actually, to prove your point about there being few power station gypsum trains these days, the only train into Kirkby Thore these days is imported gypsum from Tees Dock!

xotGD

Established Member
Enfinium have announced plans for CO2 capture at the two EfW plants. Their proposal includes transporting liquid CO2 by rail to Teesside.

So if this come to fruition, then the siding will see some use.

GardenRail

Enfinium have announced plans for CO2 capture at the two EfW plants. Their proposal includes transporting liquid CO2 by rail to Teesside.

What happens to the liquid co2, as an aside, if this becomes a reality?

najaB

Veteran Member
Industrial uses (carbonation of drinks being a common one, along with solvent extraction), stunning animals before slaughter, cooling purposes.

xotGD

Established Member
It would be permanently sequestered in a saline aquifer under the North Sea seabed as part of the East Coast Cluster CCS scheme.

Industrial uses (carbonation of drinks being a common one, along with solvent extraction), stunning animals before slaughter, cooling purposes.
No, as above, it would be permanently stored. The quantities involved would be way to high for industrial use.

class 9

Also potentially a pipeline to be used, so we'll have go see which option is chosen, if indeed it gets off the ground, as part of the cost is dependent on government funds.

It would be permanently sequestered in a saline aquifer under the North Sea seabed as part of the East Coast Cluster CCS scheme.

No, as above, it would be permanently stored. The quantities involved would be way to high for industrial use.
Not necessarily, there's a paragraph in the planning documents that says "It is possible that downstream handling may provide for possible diversion of some CO2 for usage in industry etc"

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Fair enough. I was answering the question of what industrial purposes CO2 has.