• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Franchise Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Established Member
Sorry if my accurate and truthful observations are a bit too painful for comfortable reading but the beauty of dealing with facts is they're indisputable.

However, a genuine question in respect of your second observation; if nothing service-related is going to change irrespective of whichever outfit runs a given franchise, why go through the pretence of it all?

Is it just window dressing for public consumption? :-?
Well you are right about one thing - your posts can truthfully be described as painful...

Regards your genuine question, what do you think is going to happen with a new franchise? 3000 staff get fired on a Sunday and 3000 new staff get employed on Monday?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
if nothing service-related is going to change irrespective of whichever outfit runs a given franchise, why go through the pretence of it all?

So lots and lots of people who wear posh suits can make lots and lots of money sorting out the details plus it gives credence to the very existence of that useless government department.

richw

Veteran Member
Well you are right about one thing - your posts can truthfully be described as painful...

Regards your genuine question, what do you think is going to happen with a new franchise? 3000 staff get fired on a Sunday and 3000 new staff get employed on Monday?

that would be an incredible recruitment drive, but us living in the real world know that TUPE will happen, and the only differences will probably be a new paintjob for the trains and a different colour tie for the staff. The other factors are beyond a tocs control in the majority.

The Ham

Established Member
Did anyone seriously think it wouldn't be extended?

I would have thought that although most people would have not seriously thought that it would be extended there would have been the thought/doubt that DOR could end up taking it on.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes, but it's still unlikely it would officially come out on a Saturday evening. These sort of DfT decisions are normally announced pretty formally, as they affect the stock exchange etc..

richw

Veteran Member
Yes, but it's still unlikely it would officially come out on a Saturday evening. These sort of DfT decisions are normally announced pretty formally, as they affect the stock exchange etc..

Staff may be made aware, and given a confidentiality agreement to sign when given such info before being formally announced. I have heard it is due to be announced formally on Monday, but this was simply idol gossip and rumours, so not to be taken as gospel.

Several reports last Tuesday/ Wednesday said it may be announced within a week.

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...-Western-rail-franchise-on-line-for-extension

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I spoke to conductor yesterday and he said his travel pass came through which he took to meaning that First had it for another couple of years.

Flamingo

Established Member
First were always going to get it. The only discussion was over the money.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I'm curious to know if Reading station is still going to be managed by First or if it will be taken over by Network Rail. All the new signs there are in the Network Rail style (dark blue background).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Network Rail will take it over at some stage I expect, it was specifically happening from April 2014 in the now lapsed GW franchise ITT, but I can see little or no reason why it wouldn't still happen. Bristol TM is also down to transfer to NR.

So they'll probably get round to it in due course, (similarly with the transfer of Dean, Mottisfont and Romsey to SWT).

Pumbaa

Established Member
Listed as April 2014 for those, and as far as I'm aware that's still on course.

bnm

Established Member
According to ITV Westcountry the DfT are set to announce tomorrow that First Group have been awarded the management contract for the Greater Western Franchise up to July 2016.

From ITV Westcountry:

Train company's contract expected to be extended

t's expected that train passengers in the region will hear tomorrow that First Great Western's contract has been extended for a further two years.

The Government has been forced to extend it after the last round of franchise negotiations collapsed in chaos.

But there are worries that services may be reduced, and there'll be further delays to much needed investment.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry...in-companys-contract-expected-to-be-extended/

Link also contains a video news report.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
September 2015

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/franchising-deal-to-boost-services-on-great-western-main-line

irst Greater Western Ltd will operate trains between London Paddington, the Cotswolds, south Wales and the south west until September 2015.
Railway tracks

Rail passengers will benefit from improved services, including greater WiFi coverage, on the Great Western network as a result of a new franchise agreement announced today (3 October 2013).

Under the agreement the government has reached with First Greater Western Ltd (FGW), the company will continue running the franchise to operate trains between London Paddington, the Cotswolds, south Wales and the south west.

The new 23 month franchise is a further sign that the government’s programme is on-track. It will also enable the continued delivery of vital work to upgrade the line in future, including electrification to help deliver faster, more reliable journeys.

A multi-billion pound programme of national rail investment by Network Rail has already seen more than £5 billion pumped into projects benefitting passengers on the Great Western network. These include Crossrail, the electrification of more than 200 miles of track on the Great Western line, and the upgrade of Reading Station.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Last edited:

PhilipW

The DfT refers to "more electric trains for Thames Valley". What does that mean? They don't have any now and will not be getting any within the 23 month extension period.

Even in the longer period, I am not aware that any specific figure has ever been quoted for the exact number of EMUs that they will be given.

So the word "more" is complete spin. It implies something but means nothing.

willc789

Certainly nice to see that the sleeper is to gain 2 extra coaches on a service that they were planning to axe only a matter of years ago.

Interested to see the detailed plans for wifi though. Surely it makes no sense to fit it to all HST's, only to withdraw them for IEP with a handful surviving for the West Country services?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The DfT refers to "more electric trains for Thames Valley". What does that mean? They don't have any now and will not be getting any within the 23 month extension period.

Even in the longer period, I am not aware that any specific figure has ever been quoted for the exact number of EMUs that they will be given.

So the word "more" is complete spin. It implies something but means nothing.

Arguably, the existing Heathrow Connect electric service is "Thames Valley".
FGW have a share in that with BAA.
Stations out to Hayes already have an electric service.

PhilipW

Under the paragraph on "wider benefits", the Press Release lists
• the retention of through services from Cornwall, Hereford, Weston-super-Mare, Bedwyn and Pewsey to London.

Again I have to say I think this too is complete spin as there has never been any suggestion that any of these services would be terminated within the 23-month extension period. The threat comes post electrification from 2016 onwards.

I think the DfT is treating the public like idiots putting out all this waffle and spin. I don't like it.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
GW 16x cascades should start in 2017 (electrics are supposed to start Dec 2016).
But a lot of water has to go under the bridge yet.
The early cascades may go to strengthen existing services (eg Reading-Gatwick, or Cotswold).
It will probably be the ITT for the next GW franchise (issued in 2015) which will confirm where the fleet will go.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Under the paragraph on "wider benefits", the Press Release lists
• the retention of through services from Cornwall, Hereford, Weston-super-Mare, Bedwyn and Pewsey to London.

Again I have to say I think this too is complete spin as there has never been any suggestion that any of these services would be terminated within the 23-month extension period. The threat comes post electrification from 2016 onwards.

I think the DfT is treating the public like idiots putting out all this waffle and spin. I don't like it.

Maybe if DOR were to take over then those services would have been axed. The DfT will also have to add some padding to the statement instead of just saying 'It's been extended'.

Status
Not open for further replies.