• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Honestly can't remember at this point what the options for drinks were as it was more than two years ago! However, whatever I was drinking, it was a cracking meal and all in was around £30. I certainly didn't feel ripped off by it and unless the FGW equivalent is very much different I'd imagine the same applies there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
If you said gravy in a kitchen you would be told where to go. ;)

Jus is the correct term for gravy in a kitchen set-up.

Worked in a kitchen myself.

Gravy is the correct term for gravy if the recipe/dish requires it. Only a pretentious chef would serve a traditional British roast dinner au jus
, for example. That holds true for even the most exclusive restaurants. A good gravy (one made with bone marrow for example) is just as valid an accompaniment to many meat dishes as a good jus

Worked in a kitchen myself too. City & Guilds 706 1&2. Work experience under Gary Rhodes. 15 years in the hospitality trade.

sonic2009

Established Member
bnm i hold my hand up there, when i worked in the kitchen under my head chef, words like gravy were banned, although our gravy or jus was made from bones cooked off and drained, with powder added to make the gravy/jus.

Just out of question, it would be interesting to see who FGW suppliers are.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

krisk

Good to see a market for a meal. Perhaps a return to these on London to Scotland runs.

GodAtum

On Moderation
My lunch onboard FGW a few years ago:

68801_564497445798_2041743_n.jpg

67731_564497515658_2271104_n.jpg

And on Virgin:

22653_550711278388_1893464_n.jpg

22653_550711288368_4733841_n.jpg

aylesbury

Back in the early seventies I had dinner on the wcml on an evening train and it was a brilliant experience.Silver servicgood ,good food in a mk2 I think the carriage was full as well.This was the time when breakfast,lunch,dinner was standard fare wish they could do this again.

krisk

Things on the railway exist, then they go, then they come back under a new name. So much goes full circle

fgwrich

Established Member
That would do me fine, although I've only had it either on tap or from a bottle, so if it is as good as that from a can..

It's ok from a can - at least it's kept in a fridge at all times which keeps it good - Bottles would be better though, or even better - Beer on Tap. Come on FGW, you like being Enterprising, try that in your buffet cars :p

sprinterguy

Established Member
It's ok from a can - at least it's kept in a fridge at all times which keeps it good - Bottles would be better though, or even better - Beer on Tap. Come on FGW, you like being Enterprising, try that in your buffet cars :p
The HST buffet cars were, of course, originally fitted with one or two draught beer pumps when they were new, so if it is true as krisk says that fashions on the railway go round in circles (It seems to be true pretty much everywhere else!), then that's something I would certainly like to see brought back :)

Yew

Established Member
Couldn't agree more!

I think there should be more food cooked and served on board - EMT, GA, EC, WC, GW, and XC (and TPs longer routes) could all offer it.

Dining on board a train is special - particularly if the food is top notch.

Apart from the food, service, view etc, people seem to forget that it saves you time at either end of your journey too.

I can remember being very excited having my first meal on board a train. Was at college, saved up and had an evening meal on the train from St. Pancras to Sheffield in the 80s. Had a bog standard ticket (it was still called 2nd class then) and chose the cheapest things on the menu...... but had a great meal, in first class - a real experience!!

Dined on board a few times since then - GNER (excellent), BR (MML/XC TOC as it was) and on charter trains. You can't beat it.

And although not the cheapest - it is definitely VFM!

EMT do, their all day menu is pretty good in first, although a few dishes are a bit iffy on quality, but on the whole very good quality and portion sizes for the money (generally less than a fiver). The best thing is it is available on most trains!

I admit its a shame they cant open this up to standard, instead of the feared 'TOC Paninni' that seems to be the common thing these days. I think I would be quite pleased with this form of hot catering on EC or Virgin, Maybe with a bit of free booze and crisps?

Bristol Rover

Looks good value to me.

Have used the travelling chef on many journeys and thought it was excellent - £8 for a decent sized breakfast using quality ingredients and freshly prepared is hard to argue with.

Retorus

Looks good value to me.

Have used the travelling chef on many journeys and thought it was excellent - £8 for a decent sized breakfast using quality ingredients and freshly prepared is hard to argue with.

Indeed, I had the salmon platter which was both delicious and substantial.

I'd already eaten two slices of toast and a slice of salmon before I took this!

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 78

mr williams

Was there any truth in the story I heard some years back that FGW withdrew a number of the restaurant services into London in the morning and out in the early evening because the trains were too full for the waiting staff to serve the food?

rogACE

i love FGW hot grub in 1st class but sadly its only on a few trains now

still the bacon baguette from the buffet car is the best around
rather yummy (£4)

broadgage

I certainly enjoy the Pullman on the 18-03 from Paddington fairly regularly.
The prices seem similar to those charged elswhere for meals of similar qaulity.

I have previously complained to FGW about the restaurant being in effect "first come, first served" without any priority for first class.
They must have listened, because first class customers are now addmitted first, with steerage only admitted if space remains.

Whilst only 2 return restaurant services a day is rather paltry, it is certainly better than nothing.
Rumours abound regarding the reinstatement of another FGW pullman, anyone would think that franchise renewal was approaching!

Until recently, FGW seemed to have a policy of closure by stealth as regards restaurants. They were all "temporarly" withdrawn after the Hatfield accident, most never reapeared.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I certainly enjoy the Pullman on the 18-03 from Paddington fairly regularly.
The prices seem similar to those charged elswhere for meals of similar qaulity.

I have previously complained to FGW about the restaurant being in effect "first come, first served" without any priority for first class.
They must have listened, because first class customers are now addmitted first, with steerage only admitted if space remains.

Whilst only 2 return restaurant services a day is rather paltry, it is certainly better than nothing.
Rumours abound regarding the reinstatement of another FGW pullman, anyone would think that franchise renewal was approaching!

Until recently, FGW seemed to have a policy of closure by stealth as regards restaurants. They were all "temporarly" withdrawn after the Hatfield accident, most never reapeared.

Steerage class? why should those in a class that have usually paid for their ticket, come second to those who usually have not paid out of their own pocket & get Dinner on exs as well.

Welcome to RF broadgage, "ships in the night"

broadgage

First class customers have usually paid more for their ticket, regardless of whether or not it is their own money.
That is one good reason for receiving priority in use of the limited dining spaces.
Also the dining car is in effect a first class coach, so it seems reasonable to give priority to those with first class tickets.

I was far from impressed when having paid the full first class fare, I was unable to dine because others could run faster than me when the train was anounced.

Matters have however improved recently with first class admitted first.
Also for a long time one could not book a seat in the restaurant, the 29 customers who could run fastest got seats and that was that.
Recently however first class ticket holders have been allowed to book dining seats.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
OK, we beg to dither, but if you are in first, is that not near or next to the dinner, or did standard class ticket holders jump in at the station.

As I understand it FGW normally have those who wish to use the restaurant queue up on the platform outside the buffet car, hence it was a total free for all. These days as far as I'm aware you can ring up to reserve to a place or if you hold a first class ticket get priority over others so it's no longer quite such a 'survival of the fittest' situation.

broadgage

As I understand it FGW normally have those who wish to use the restaurant queue up on the platform outside the buffet car, hence it was a total free for all. These days as far as I'm aware you can ring up to reserve to a place or if you hold a first class ticket get priority over others so it's no longer quite such a 'survival of the fittest' situation.

Yes, in the past, as soon as the departure platform was anounced there would be a mad stampede towards the restuarant.
Those who ran the fastest got a seat. Also rans did not.

Now though, the staff admit those with bookings first, and then those without bookings but with first class tickets, and then others.

Seems to work fairly well.

bnm

Established Member
If you're desperate to sample the excellent FGW Pullman food and service, then you can do what I do, buy a Standard Class ticket on the 1200 or 1255 ex Plymouth up Pullmans. Restaurant has never yet been full with 1st Class passengers on those services, although I have noticed a marked increase in the last year of both 1st and Standard pax taking up the offer of a meal. I'll sometimes buy a 1st Advance if the price is reasonable. Failing that Standard Advance to Reading for a leisurely 3 course lunch with aperitif and after meal coffee. Or split at Taunton Off Peak Day Singles to Westbury (1255 only) for 2 courses and coffee. Let staff know you are bailing at Westbury though! I typically spend around £25 on tickets and £40-£50 (inc. tip) on food and drink.

I do my bit to use it or lose it (same goes for Travelling Chef services), but can't afford to do so on a weekly basis like some. My Pullman trips are for leisure and the sheer joy of eating freshly prepared high quality food whilst an ever changing scenery flashes past your window at up to 110mph.

If broadgage here is the same person as a broadgage I know on another forum, then I know he is probably single-handedly responsible for ensuring a good income for the Pullmans! :D

Sante! et Bon Appétit!

broadgage

Yes, it is the same person as known on another forum.
I do my bit !

I have never had reason to complain about the food or the service, though I been known to write winging letters when the advertised Pullman service fails to appear, as used to happen regularly.

It has been much more reliable lately.

Travelling from London I allways buy a first class ticket so as to be almost certain of a dining seat.

Traveling into London I usually have only a steerage ticket, there seems little point in first class on up services.
Not only is there usually room for steerage customers in the restaurant on the up trains, but also priority for First cant realy be enforced.
What if the dining car is already full of steerage ticket holders when I board ? they can hardly be told to leave half way through the meal !
Neither would it be realistic to keep dining seats vacant until Taunton, in case a first class class customer wishes to board.

If the first up Pullman fails to appear, or has no restaurant service, then I normally wait for the next one.
Otherwise I would have to sit in steerage :cry: or pay well over £100 :cry:extra to sit in First, still unfed.

If the up Pullmans become so popular that first class customers are unable to dine, then bookings should be allowed as is the case on down services.
Not needed at present though.

bnm

Established Member
Is FGW the last TOC to offer a restaurant service?

Technically, yes. Other long distance operators offer complimentary meals to 1st Class customers.

The ATW Premier Service isn't really a restaurant. It's a complimentary offering to 1st Class passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.