• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Trainee Drivers (closes 15/07/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Hi

I live in Sussex so would that be pushing it for the required travelling distance? They obviously hope to make easy eliminations this way.

I have done well enough academically and I am currently a supervisor/deputy manager in a retail shop.

I have begun to volunteer for St John's Ambulance as I thought this might help with health and safety questions as well as working under pressure.

I am 22 and simply do not have all the skills generated from work others may have which they are surely looking for when deciding on applicants for this challenging role.

Would it be better to wait till I have built up work experience?

I suppose I could fill the application in so I have a feel for it but I am worried how I will aquire all the skills they require and/or really impress them and stand out.

I may look for work experience roles within TOCs this summer by using my own initiative and see if that helps
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
PS I have purchased a number of books to help me including a book on improving my maths skills. I was wondering if someone could advise me on a book which explains simple mechanics to help with the mechanical test? I have the mechanical and spatial awareness book already. Thanks

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
ml - You've got to be in it to win it. You'll never know what they will say if you don't put an application in. Fill the form in as best you can, taking your time with it. I spent years sending in application forms for the railway until I was taken on as a trainee driver so it does pay off.

If you send the form in the worst they can say is no thank you. If they do then you'll hopefully be able to get some feedback from FGW as to where your application needs work. On the other hand you never know your luck :D

All aboard

Hi, I agree with driver9000, I am 26 have always worked in retail, and due to undertake my second stage of assessment with lorol later this month. You will have more experience than you realise! I mean examples of working on my own I thought back to daily paperwork in the office, and doing stock count! Working on your own for long periods of time, and making sure your not miss counting stock! You follow rules and procedures everyday you set up the store and do cashing up. I am sure you have had to fill out an accident report at some point. Also I don't know if you ever had shoplifters, but the work your doing now will help with the emergency experience. They just need to know you can work well on your own, and will stay calm under pressure. If you know that is genuinely you, then like me just go for it!

Good luck.

387star

On Moderation
Thank you for the advice! I love to work on my own yes.

I have had no instances of shop lifting but enough training information on what to do in such an instance. The above is correct minus the accident forms... not that I want an accident to happen!

I was thrown into the deep end and the whole computer system crashed on my first day alone in the shop which I suppose counts towards my response to unexpected situations.

I will give it a shot and probably a long one at that because First rightly demand rigorous applications
PS When you select forgotten password on the First Careers login the page does not seem to work has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:

Captain Chaos

I've applied for that. hoping to re-locate if succesful :)

Was going to put in for this internally but family issues have put it on ice so I will have to wait for the next round of applications.

Which depot have you applied for Sonic? If it is Reading then with a bit of luck I will be working with you at some point in the future!

Best of luck with it though whichever depot you have applied for!

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Hi

I live in Sussex so would that be pushing it for the required travelling distance? They obviously hope to make easy eliminations this way.

I have done well enough academically and I am currently a supervisor/deputy manager in a retail shop.

I have begun to volunteer for St John's Ambulance as I thought this might help with health and safety questions as well as working under pressure.

I am 22 and simply do not have all the skills generated from work others may have which they are surely looking for when deciding on applicants for this challenging role.

Would it be better to wait till I have built up work experience?

I suppose I could fill the application in so I have a feel for it but I am worried how I will aquire all the skills they require and/or really impress them and stand out.

I may look for work experience roles within TOCs this summer by using my own initiative and see if that helps
PS I have purchased a number of books to help me including a book on improving my maths skills. I was wondering if someone could advise me on a book which explains simple mechanics to help with the mechanical test? I have the mechanical and spatial awareness book already. Thanks

I was in retail management before i went into driving. Loads of relevant skills. Accuracy, following procedures, communication, teamwork, self management, time management, customer service, etc.

Service sector manager to driver is a very well trodden path. Best of luck.

387star

On Moderation
Thanks I will try and be cautiously optimistic then.

I have also applied for a guard position.

Nym

Established Member
I know distance would be pushing it, but would it be out of the question to apply from a Bolton address? (And mentioning willing to re-locate?)

turbo mick

Iam a Driver at reading if you need any answers just remember crossrail is on the horizon were are expecting a lot of changers in the future at the 3 depots and the electrification as well

mick

hants-man

Iam a Driver at reading if you need any answers just remember crossrail is on the horizon were are expecting a lot of changers in the future at the 3 depots and the electrification as well

mick

What does that mean in practice for the drivers? Is it just the extra work of learning new traction, revised signalling, track layouts. Or will it mean moving depots etc?

Last edited:

turbo mick

What does that mean in practice for the drivers? Is it just the extra work of learning new traction, revised signalling, track layouts. Or will it mean moving depots etc?

Basically if crossrail ends up at reading it could mean a loss of work with a lot of the local work to london becoming crossrail and we wouldnt have enough work to cover the establish of drivers at oxford,padd and with reading being the biggest depot of the LTV side but thats just my thoughts Aslef are already discussing this

387star

On Moderation
Hi

I spent hours typing out the 'screening' part of the application only to press submit and a title reading screening appears again but with nothing else. I refresh page and I'm back to square one (same page where you put your age and answer all the detailed questions)

Is that because you can only fill the screening part out if you get through that far or what? Or is the submission in transit and the system dosen't like you doing anything before then?

This is before the equal employments part.

Very infuriating... when you press submit you hope it does just that rather than wiping out all your answers
Perhaps it means I have failed to progess further. I wonder what the screening process looks for if that is the case... is it certain words, how long should answers be etc

Last edited:
I know distance would be pushing it, but would it be out of the question to apply from a Bolton address? (And mentioning willing to re-locate?)

I was living in Newcastle when I applied for FCC and mentioned that I was willing to relocate - and now coming up to the final stages of my training as a driver, so you never know, just mention that you are willing and flexible to move to where they want you, and if you have the appropriate skills then you're in with as much a chance as anyone!

387star

On Moderation
They screen this one if you live too far away and perhaps thats happened to me. Anyone else had issues? Perhaps because I put I have had one emergency situation and not lots...

I didn't even get that far, I tried to apply but they said seeing as how I had failed to shortlist in the tram drivers position (not train) I can't apply for 6 months.

Even though I have passed all the train drivers assessments at FCC and got through to the medical (at which point I had to withdraw for family reasons)

Unbelievable!

Minilad

Established Member
Good luck to everyone who applies.
Just remember, however many people apply someone has to get it. so keep the faith and you never know

387star

On Moderation
My status reads incomplete application so I presume the page was wiped out perhaps because it had been left on for too long. Surely if it was a true screening section it would read 'failed'. I have not attempted to fill it in again.

Anyhow I am young yet and my confidence needs to be built up. A good experience filling it in though!

plymothian

Indeed the FGW online application form is a pain in the arse to fill out and does time out after a while - usually too soon cos you're trying to fill it in as best as possible and so take a while!
Plus the computer automatically screens your answers, so you have to know how to cheat the system to get any chance of getting through to shortlisting.

387star

On Moderation
Im confused if i was screened or not. Pressing submit on the screening part and the page going all but blank may mean I was screened? If anyone can shed light id be grateful. Anyone who got through... any tips? Are certain key words looked for. etc after all if it did log out surely this wouldn't render submit useless. Next time will paste answers on word!

schwa

I would recommended from experience that anyone who is doing the screening questions should use a word processor before 'pasting' it into the application on the FirstGroup website. Makes it easier to write and proof read.

Perhaps the people with the "6 month" messages could create new accounts to apply for the roles?

Last edited:

plymothian

If it says incomplete then you should be able to continue by clicking on the job title and refilling out the form

387star

On Moderation
Indeed I could try that. I'm thinking about applying again on Thursday. Just remembered I applied before for TPE last summer and got through the submit stage...

Presumably it tells you soon after you sumit whether you make it to shortlist.

I hope I have as much time on Thursday as I did on Sunday... probably not and I don't want to rush it so perhaps a miss this time

Lou2006

Hi All,

I completed my application today and was successful with the submit. However this is not before losing all my text the first time around on Sunday after 2+ hours (I was fuming) after saving to draft.
I also experienced not being able to progress with the questionnaire today, but to be honest I have put this down to a website which is not very well designed (software wise) and perhaps struggles when more than 1 person is trying to use it rather than automatic screening?

Status
Not open for further replies.