• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Trainee Drivers (closes 15/07/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Nothing here yet, did you get an e-mail or was it an update on your application history on the careers website?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
Still waiting on mine too, have you checked your status on the website?

Yep, still showing as 'Successful at full assessment' with no scheduled sessions.

Just playing that waiting game :(

Hopefully we'll hear something this week!

ghost

Got an invite to paddington for managers interview next week, got the email about 5 days ago, luckily check my email. I applied hoping I would get in to paddington but the email says interview for reading depot:cry: I think I will have to pass on this one!

reapz

Got an invite to paddington for managers interview next week, got the email about 5 days ago, luckily check my email. I applied hoping I would get in to paddington but the email says interview for reading depot:cry: I think I will have to pass on this one!

If u dont go u should let them know early so someone else can have yr interview spot also it looks good for any furture appilcations

387star

On Moderation
Invited to Assessment Friday October 28th but turned it down. I am entering the railways shortly with another TOC and need to practice towards the concentration and reaction tests and really work hard at basic physics rather than panicking. I am 22 so have a few years ahead of me to really think about what path I want to go down.

Main reason is experience as I know I could fall flat at interview stage and as there are only two chances want to make sure I'm ready.

Good luck to those who made it through and await the next stage
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do depot drivers have to retake assessment or are they seen as qualified?

Last edited:

toxyboy

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has been to the assessment with FGW having already completed some or all of the tests and whether they made you resit everything or just resit what you had failed previously? Thanks in advance for the replies.

sultanofswing

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has been to the assessment with FGW having already completed some or all of the tests and whether they made you resit everything or just resit what you had failed previously? Thanks in advance for the replies.

if you fail any part of it you will have to resit the whole lot. I think you have to wait 6 months before you can reapply. Fail any part a 2nd time and it's night night nurse... no more chances.... EVER!

By the way I have an interview next thursday and have to prepare a report to take with me.

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Hi might be a silly question but would a TOC give you time off work to prepare for a assessment if you already work for that TOC even if it's short notice?

Perhaps as you would have access to vacancies early you would have more time to make the assessment day free?

I imagine it would be even harder to get a day off if it were for another TOC.

Beveridges

Established Member
If you work for that TOC they give you the day off if rostered to work it with PAY to go to the assessment day, or the day before if its a night shift like it always will be with me as I have ended up in a job with permenant twelve hour nights anyway as I continue to get turned down for drivers jobs.

No other time is given off to practice. You should be practicing before you even get invited, just in case your asked at short notice to attend.

If you get an assessment day with a different TOC while working for another TOC, you have to book Annual Leave to get the day (or night) off for the Tests, and better hope the TOC does not find our your applying with another TOC as they are never impressed when you do this!

FGW_DID

Established Member
Interviews start tomorrow!!!

I've still not heard a peep from them.

TDK

Established Member
and better hope the TOC does not find our your applying with another TOC as they are never impressed when you do this!

The company can't do anything about what you do on a free day or AL day and I doubt very much there will be any implications resulting in an assessment day!

sultanofswing

Had mine!

Been in about an hour, got a phone call, with a job offer! (on condition i pass the medical)

Last edited:

kart

Had my Interview on Tuesday, got a phone call today offering me the job (on condition I pass the medical). Got my medical at the end of the month. :D Still a long way to go, won't be really happy till I have a contract in my hand!

yellowgull

Congratulations those who have heard, hope the final hurdle goes well. For those who havn't heard, good luck.

I didn't apply for this role as it was too far away for myself. I was just wondering, what were you asked in your interview today?

sultanofswing

Had my Interview on Tuesday, got a phone call today offering me the job (on condition I pass the medical). Got my medical at the end of the month. :D Still a long way to go, won't be really happy till I have a contract in my hand!

me too, my condition is that i pass the medical, have to go kings cross on 3rd November.

I was interviewed at reading. where were you applying for?

387star

On Moderation
Is the driver medical any different to other railway medicals?

If you have recently passed a medical would you still be expected to take it?

toxyboy

Hi all, congrats to all that have been successful, was wondering how many vacancies they have as I have been invited to do an assessment (applied for Paddington depot) but it seems a few people have already been offered some of the positions, so was wondering what they're thinking might be as they are still inviting people to do assessments? As it's my last chance and they want me to do everything again even though I have passed everything apart from 1 of the test and structured interview my thinking is that it's a possibility that the numbers they are assessing could make it even more difficult to get through as we will all be scored against each other, any thoughts or inside knowledge would be appreciated.

kart

Hi all, congrats to all that have been successful, was wondering how many vacancies they have as I have been invited to do an assessment (applied for Paddington depot) but it seems a few people have already been offered some of the positions, so was wondering what they're thinking might be as they are still inviting people to do assessments? As it's my last chance and they want me to do everything again even though I have passed everything apart from 1 of the test and structured interview my thinking is that it's a possibility that the numbers they are assessing could make it even more difficult to get through as we will all be scored against each other, any thoughts or inside knowledge would be appreciated.

Hi toxyboy,

Well done on getting an assessment, in my interview I was told 600 people applied, 30 interviewed last week for 12 jobs. I don't know about if they are hoping to have another course after the Feb one, but no harm in going to the assessment and passing it as it will last you for at least two years.

Dave A

Hi all, been a long time since I last posted here, but thought this is relevant to me, as I'm waiting to hear about my interview results too.

In answer to some of your questions toxyboy:

I was advised there are "10/11/12" positions on the training course due to start in Feb. Now, this may be less, as I know a driver who is waiting to be re-trained on this course (although he may not be taken into account). I also don't know whether this is for all depots or just Paddington (which I applied for). However, it has "been paid for", and is certain to start then, according to the gentlemen who interviewed me.

I was advised that there are 40 people being interviewed, until the end of the month (with everyone being told by mid Nov). I also have a friend waiting to hear results too, who had it earlier than me, and find it quite odd a couple of people have already heard. He also was asked whether he'd be interested in a position as a "Depot Driver" (something I wasn't asked)?!

Being in the railways for 4 years now and knowing how recruitment processes work, it wouldn't surprise me if they over-subscribed when offering the job. This will mainly be due to the fact that a number of people will fail the medical, not want to wait until February, drop out at the last minute or even not have their references come through in time. So don't worry if you don't hear soon (don't forget, we applied way back in summer, it's standard it takes this long!).

Best of luck to everyone who got through this far, and I hope to see you on the course. :)

sultanofswing

Hi toxyboy,

Well done on getting an assessment, in my interview I was told 600 people applied, 30 interviewed last week for 12 jobs. I don't know about if they are hoping to have another course after the Feb one, but no harm in going to the assessment and passing it as it will last you for at least two years.

yeah what depot did 600 people apply for? they told me at reading that they wanted 10, 11 or 12 people for February 2012, then about 8 more for June 2012.

I have been conditionally offered feb start date, as long as i pass medical, (thursday 3rd nov).

But I have spoken to someone who had there assessment today for the June start date. and he was told he would have a structured interview in a couple of weeks.

so thats what i know,

FGW_DID

Established Member
Having read the above posts, even though I have passed the full assessment (according to the recruitment website) but not having heard anything about an interview, I can now safely assume that my application is dead in the water?

It would be nice to be told where one stands as soon as the decision was made.

reapz

Having read the above posts, even though I have passed the full assessment (according to the recruitment website) but not having heard anything about an interview, I can now safely assume that my application is dead in the water?

what depot did u apply for?

kart

I've applied to all three of the depots and was told at the interview they would let me know which depot they wanted to put me in after all of the interviews have taken place. FGW_Did I would give HR a ring and ask what’s going on!!

Dave A

Not necessarily! You may be on a "reserve" list! Get in touch with their resources team via the form on the website (they replied to me the next day).

Reading other posts, it seems like everyone has been given conflicting information, which seems to be standard in the railway industry... :roll: :lol:

FGW_DID

Established Member
Oxford was first choice but all the correspondence prior to the assessment day stated 'Reading'. I was expecting to go wherever Drivers were needed.

I spoke to Resources last week, to be told they would e mail the assessors to find out what was happening. I will be chasing them up tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.