• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Filming at Kings Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
No, I just dont have the time to watch idiotic rubbish like Harry Potter.
If you don't watch it, how do you know it's idiotic rubbish? Surely you don't believe the critics (most of whom have noted the improvement over the series)?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Can I just ask why there was the Virgin 'Pretendolino' sitting at KX?

I am missing it!

Crossforth

Established Member
I assume it is because they are subtly advertising in the film

It used to be GNER and if you look at one of the photo galleries linked, there is a photo of the guard from the first film wearing Virgin uniform instead of GNER

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Its also being used by the crew for catering etc. Plus I suspect its acting as a barrier to prevent people seeing the filming.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Just cause you dont enjoy it does not mean it is idiotic. Grow up and stop being so narrow minded.

Right: sometimes I do use the incorrect volcabulary to voice my opinion, and I apologise to anyone who took offence to what I said.

Now can we please get back to the topic of this Thread.

Thak you!

:D

CarterUSM

Established Member
I assume it is because they are subtly advertising in the film

It used to be GNER and if you look at one of the photo galleries linked, there is a photo of the guard from the first film wearing Virgin uniform instead of GNER

I think it is called product placement, or some other weird term that falls short of full 'advertising'.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Its also being used by the crew for catering etc. Plus I suspect its acting as a barrier to prevent people seeing the filming.

I saw one carriage with a hand written sign saying 'Adult crowd' outside. Guess the extras are all able to sit inside while waiting for 'action!'.

I think it is called product placement, or some other weird term that falls short of full 'advertising'.

Advertising, product placement, showing what Virgin Trains might look like on the ECML...... all the same thing ;)

Last edited:

ungreat

Advertising, product placement, showing what Virgin Trains might look like on the ECML...... all the same thing ;)

It's a barrier train to shield the filming,whilst the Hogwarts train does the same when they are filming..nothing more.

Vulcan

It's a barrier train to shield the filming,whilst the Hogwarts train does the same when they are filming..nothing more.

Its also an air conditioned place to people to sit in which is available to hire. Only the best for Mr Radcliffe.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
If Virgin logos are visible, it's product placement, if not then it isn't (no different to if it was a set of unbranded old Virgin coaches).

Like I said before though, if they are filming what I think they are, which is the final scene set 19 years later (it's the only scene in the book that is on the platforms at Kings Cross, the other scene is in a waiting room at "Kings Cross" but will probably be filmed in a studio) then it gives the interesting implication that not only will Virgin be running the ECML in about 2030 (going on the film timeline which tends to set each film in the present day) but using Mk3s.

ungreat

The Virgin logoed DVT is so far in front of the Hall it wouldn't be seen,but..there was a "young and old Harry" very visible through the barrier trains windows a couple of days back..saw it from my cab!

jon0844

Veteran Member
not only will Virgin be running the ECML in about 2030 (going on the film timeline which tends to set each film in the present day) but using Mk3s.

So who says the Harry Potter books are simply a work of fiction!

silentone

The Virgin train seems to just be for catering and somewhere for them all to sit. From what I could gather today that train isn't in the shots and most of what's being done is facing the 'Hogwarts Express'

I'm also sure it won't be there on Monday as from Sunday, Platform 2/3 will be closed as NR are starting structural work to install lifts/escalators & bridge supports.

Crossforth

Established Member
I was only going by a picture of an actor in Virgin Trains uniform and in the first film was wearing GNER uniform

162px-Station_guard_1.jpg

Film 1

normal_20qibk4.jpg

Other day

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Yes - I can see the VT Logo on the mans hat in the 'other day' picture.
It would make sense to have removed the GNER logo

Crossforth

Established Member
According to Yahoo Group ecmainline, The Hogwarts Express has left King's Cross and the two 67s with the Virgin stock are also getting ready to leave

ungreat

Yep...its gone and so have the 67s and VT stock
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hogwarts Express is now at Ferme Park opp Hornsey depot

HSTChris

The thing about the VT stock being used as catering etc was also reported on my local Gen group. I really dont think it will appear in the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.