• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fined for being in first class

simonw

I did encounter a woman who was most reluctant to move her bag a few weeks ago on the tube
I asked her why she imagined for one moment that I wanted to Stand
So they do exist but not often
some people have been known to threaten to sit on any bags which results in them being moved pretty sharpish
I've done that and physically moved them.

Despite a user name of need help quick, the op has, it appears not returned to read our collective words of wisdom.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
The TM/guard must declassified first class if there's no seat left in standard, people refusing to move seat = no seat left (who knows if they've bought 2nd ticket for their bags/equipment? Not a passenger obligation to deal with it head to head, and in this situation you have already tried your best to ask), I'd suggest you appeal and request CCTV footage for the service you've taken to show there's no seat in standard if you are confident that's true
Do you have a source for this claim?

Towers

Established Member
The TM/guard must declassified first class if there's no seat left in standard, people refusing to move seat = no seat left (who knows if they've bought 2nd ticket for their bags/equipment? Not a passenger obligation to deal with it head to head, and in this situation you have already tried your best to ask), I'd suggest you appeal and request CCTV footage for the service you've taken to show there's no seat in standard if you are confident that's true
Categorically untrue, I would suggest!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The TM/guard must declassified first class if there's no seat left in standard, people refusing to move seat = no seat left (who knows if they've bought 2nd ticket for their bags/equipment?
No, there is no obligation to do that even if all Std Class seats were actually physically taken by people.

People refusing to move does not equal no seats left, it equals people need to ask for them to move their bags - that's up to them.

You cannot buy a second ticket for a bag.

You cannot buy a second ticket for yourself and use it to secure a 2nd seat for yourself either, even with reserved seats if the seat is unoccupied anyone is entitled to it.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Hogwash from the first word to the last I'm afraid.

No TM or guard on that train
No obligation to declassify first class if standard has no seats left
It's not true that a bag means a seat is "occupied", even if you have a second ticket
And getting CCTV is therefore a fruitless exercise.

methecooldude

Absolutely not!

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The TM/guard must declassified first class if there's no seat left in standard, people refusing to move seat = no seat left
On that basis XC would never have first class

who knows if they've bought 2nd ticket for their bags/equipment?

It doesn't matter. Having a ticket for a person doesn't mean they get a seat. Bags having a ticket really doesn't mean they get a seat.
I'd suggest you appeal and request CCTV footage for the service you've taken to show there's no seat in standard if you are confident that's true
This would prove nothing. Lots of people sit in First Class with standard tickets even when there are plenty of standard seats.

Not a passenger obligation to deal with it head to head, and in this situation you have already tried your best to ask

You have to be pro-active in finding a seat if you want one. You can't just ignore potential seats and just sit in First Class.