• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fines

Status
Not open for further replies.

quinten

Hi all

I am looking at applying for a job working on the platform with my local train company but i have had a few £20 train fines over the years for not buying a ticket, my last being a couple years ago (very stupid of me i know). I was just wondering if this would affect me getting a job as i know a few of the ticket inspectors recognise me and am worried if i did get the job they would inform someone?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Unless you were particuarly nasty I doubt the inspectors would remember you as we deal with a large number of issues daily. Whether or not the fines would show when the company checks your details however would be a different story.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
So you've had a few penalty fares. But you have not been convicted of any crime. I suspect you'll be OK.

the sniper

Established Member
as i know a few of the ticket inspectors recognise me and am worried if i did get the job they would inform someone?

I don't imagine you were the nicest of customers then... If your conduct was anything less than perfect, I'd avoid the job. If you've messed the RPIs around, presumably why they recognise you, I'm sure they'll be glad to return the favour and drop you in it if you turn up on the platforms.

Last edited:

Established Member
Happens at one operator, when checking a passenger's details, the tenant at the house next door has also been fined - often with a familiar name. Usually a source of 5 minutes humour and nothing more - loads were stopped when younger, it's more common than I thought :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi all

I am looking at applying for a job working on the platform with my local train company but i have had a few £20 train fines over the years for not buying a ticket, my last being a couple years ago (very stupid of me i know). I was just wondering if this would affect me getting a job as i know a few of the ticket inspectors recognise me and am worried if i did get the job they would inform someone?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks
If all that happened was an issuing of a few Penalty Fares and you were polite about it then I wouldn't worry.

Here's Chiltern's view on Penalty Fares, for example:

https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/sites/default/files/files/timetables/Chiltern%20Penalty%20Fares.pdf
A Penalty Fare is a charge that Chiltern Railways is allowed to make under the Regulations and Rules. It is not a fine, and anyone who is charged one is not being accused of avoiding, or attempting to avoid, paying their fare.

‘Fare dodging’ is a completely different matter: it is a criminal offence and we treat it as such by prosecuting ...
(That said, anyone who makes the same mistake many times may be viewed with suspicion, rightly or wrongly...)

Had to google to find out what that meant!

It's the same as a prolific shoplifter applying to become a store security guard, hypocrisy of the highest order!! If someone can't play by the rules how can they possibly enforce them?

ComUtoR

Established Member
It's the same as a prolific shoplifter applying to become a store security guard, hypocrisy of the highest order!! If someone can't play by the rules how can they possibly enforce them?

Ex thiefs are widely used as security consultants as they are best placed to find all the holes in the security arrangements. Under the rehabilitation of offenders act there should be no barrier to employment. Ex Hackers are employed by various computer companies.

The phrase it takes one to know one springs to mind.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Have you read this?

Again, the shopping analogy - while amusing - doesn't quite work... except if you're talking about shops where you are required to queue to purchase your items before you pick any of them up. :lol:

quinten

Thank you for your replies,

It wasn't a case of being rude to the inspectors but i know i became a known face to them as i was fined on more than one occasion.
Also the hypocrisy statement i do not agree with as surely if I were to work on a platform it wouldn't be my job to enforce fares it would be the job of an inspector!? (I may be wrong)
May seem a biased point of view I don't think it should potentially prohibit me from gaining employment as yes it was stupid of me but it is in the past and my lesson was learned a long time ago.

ComUtoR

Established Member
May seem a biased point of view I don't think it should potentially prohibit me from gaining employment as yes it was stupid of me but it is in the past and my lesson was learned a long time ago.

If they decided against hiring you because of your past actions would you accept that it may be a barrier to being employed the company you chose to travel ticket-less with ?

Simon11

Established Member
It is very unlikely that the members of staff who caught you without your ticket a few years ago will be the people at your interview. It is also unlikely that as they check your application, will they also check their database of customers issued with a penalty fare.

There is however a small chance that you could be identified, once employed. However, it shouldn't be an issue as everyone makes mistakes, learns and moves on. You can say that it makes you potentially a better candidate, as you have experience of the mind of a customer who fare evaders, so are able to spot potential fare evaders and ensure that the TOC collects all revenue.

causton

Established Member

Because they have learned better!

I got a Penalty Fare when I was a lot younger and immature. I know other staff that have as well and make no attempt to hide it, so they are not ashamed of it, it was just their circumstances at the time. People make mistakes and learn from them and as harsh as the railway industry seems, it is not that strict! :)

amateur

On Moderation

Surely ticket inspectors condone fare evasion ....because then it keeps them in a job! Secretly, I bet they're anti ticket barriers. (Luddites).

Stigy

Established Member
Unless you were convicted at court for fare evasion contrary to s5 of the Regulation of Railways Act 1889 you should be okay (which I doubt as even unpaid PFs tend to be cancelled and end up as Byelaws in court which aren't recordable). Penalty Fares won't show up during recruitment checks as all you're likely to be subjected to is a basic disclosure by the DBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.