• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Looking at this document
Category 2 - Suitable for outdoor use in relatively confined areas; fireworks should not cause injury to people standing 5 m or more away - below 120dBA noise pressure measured 8m horizontal distance at a height of 1m above ground.
Category 3 - Suitable for outdoor use in large open spaces; should not cause injury to people standing 25 m or more away - Below 120 dBA; noise pressure measured 15m horizontal distance at a height of 1m above ground.
There seems to be decent differences based on what category the firework is (with category 2 and 3 being the ones easiest to buy this time of year).

Gloster

Established Member
Unfortunately, plenty of fireworks have been imported illegally and, amongst a number of failings, are too loud. But how are you going too prove it once they have exploded?

nw1

Established Member
For I think the second year in a row, we're not getting many anyhow, due to the never-ending rainfest that is autumn 2023.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
For I think the second year in a row, we're not getting many anyhow, due to the never-ending rainfest that is autumn 2023.
I've been hearing them consistently for over half an hour now (I almost started a thread like this, but not complaining about noise just mentioning their frequency)
It's not even the 5th yet!

At least (legally) they have to stop after 23:00. (midnight on Bonfire Night, 1am on New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year)

MasterSpenny

I've been hearing them consistently for over half an hour now (I almost started a thread like this, but not complaining about noise just mentioning their frequency)

At least (legally) they have to stop after 23:00.
I have been hearing them constantly for a while now as well. Although please don’t let any of them be aimed at people, this includes the police - this has been happening in central London.
A Section 35 Dispersal Order has been authorised by Superintendent May- Robinson at 1843 hours in order to disperse a group on Trafalgar Square who have been firing fireworks into crowds & towards police officers.
The Dispersal Order will remain in place until 0100 hours 5/11/23.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Unfortunately, plenty of fireworks have been imported illegally and, amongst a number of failings, are too loud. But how are you going too prove it once they have exploded?
From my house this evening the fireworks were definitely louder than I have heard before, seemed to be competing with each other and echoing across the valley...my neighbours have horses and I would imagine
that they spent the last couple of hours calming them

nw1

Established Member

At least (legally) they have to stop after 23:00. (midnight on Bonfire Night, 1am on New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year)

I certainly don't have a problem with them, in fact I like looking at them for point of clarification. But the prolonged heavy rain that set in a couple of hours ago is knocking them on the head rather.

Gloster

Established Member
So far there hasn’t been much around this bit of the island, mainly because everybody and everything is drenched. However, over recent years the pattern seems to have been for people to try to fire off as many fireworks as possible any way they like as fast as possible. Those well-ordered displays of my childhood when people tried to make a display have gone. The last decent display I saw was in Hamburg.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There also seems to be more charity / commercial fire displays than I ever remember before. Not sure if this is as more and more people live in flats, are concerned about the cost or other impact of fireworks, or what, but I do not remember before seeing as many adverts for rugby club / scout group / council / etc firework displays as I have done this year. I suppose there is the risk that these would typically be louder and or use more fireworks than a typical domestic arrangement.

MP33

I heard of someone who acquired some fireworks that had fallen off the back of a lorry. They tried to light one of them with a match on November 5th. Unfortunately they were display fireworks which were set off electronically. They nearly blew their arm off.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
You know you're getting old when.... ;)

Yes I have found that certain sounds tend to be more intolerable/irritable now than in the distant past. But also I do get annoyed in people setting off fireworks anywhere, anytime without any consideration for others or animals, e.g. cats

Loppylugs

I find it difficult to comprehend why we "celebrate" Guy Fawkes night when the guy (sorry) completely failed to achieve his objective. We may well all be better off now if he had succeeded !

Ediswan

Established Member
Cats are odd. When I was young, we had a back garden firework party, so the family cat had been called indoors. When the display started, the cat got as close to the single-glazed window as possible and watched.

Gloster

Established Member
I find it difficult to comprehend why we "celebrate" Guy Fawkes night when the guy (sorry) completely failed to achieve his objective. We may well all be better off now if he had succeeded !

For many years it was because people believed that we had been saved from the horrors of the country becoming Catholic, which would lead to eternal damnation and so on. Nowadays, I don’t think many people under about forty know the history. It has rather been overtaken by the pressure from the US for Halloween, another simple tradition that the US has debased, which is easier to make money out of. Before long we will be burning a pumpkin to celebrate.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This rain many of you have mentioned is annoying me in that it means I can't open my attic hatch window in order to hear the bangs better...

Harvester

Established Member
Cats are odd. When I was young, we had a back garden firework party, so the family cat had been called indoors. When the display started, the cat got as close to the single-glazed window as possible and watched.
In contrast our cat has been really frightened by the loud bangs this evening. No noise for over an hour, but she is still hiding in a corner below the kitchen table. Will have it all again tomorrow evening!

If Guy Fawkes had succeeded Europe may well have stayed Catholic as the Protestant reformations in mainland Europe would not have had support from Britan. Quite possibly we would still have been been scientifically in the dark ages unable to educate people that the sun revolves around the earth and all the other papal beliefs for fier of being burned alive for heresy.

If Guy Fawkes had succeeded Europe may well have stayed Catholic as the Protestant reformations in mainland Europe would not have had support from Britan. Quite possibly we would still have been been scientifically in the dark ages unable to educate people that the sun revolves around the earth and all the other papal beliefs for fier of being burned alive for heresy.
Bonfire Night is a celebration of being independent from the Vatican and the Pope and the ability to pursue our own course. Think of it as a "Brexit" moment

westv

Established Member
Maybe my imagination but fireworks sold to the public do seem louder than in the past.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
:rolleyes: Think some folk in my neck of the woods must have had their phones or watches set to 'Atlantic Daylight Time' if last night was anything to go by!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Whereas Britain moved onto the much more civilised method of being hung, drawn and quartered!!!

The Planner

Veteran Member
Around here, I was up late last night and at 0115 this morning, there was an extremely loud bang. It has been said in past years that criminal elements like Bonfire Night as they can gun-down other gangs and those sounds would just merge into the general cacophony.
That has made me laugh. Criminal gangs will be buying dodgy old motors to back fire to hide their murderous intents.

Trackman

Established Member
Maybe my imagination but fireworks sold to the public do seem louder than in the past.
When was a wee kid there was only really Standard fireworks you could buy (well your parents), nowhere near as loud as they are today.

brad465

Established Member
6 years ago while I was a Deliveroo rider I did a shift on the weekend of bonfire night, it sounded like I was riding through a warzone.

Status
Not open for further replies.