• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Aberdeen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Jorden, at least you did try to get a photo, to prove it.

Indeed, it caught me off guard. Had i been 20 or so feet back i may have managed to get a half decent photo!

I'm fairly sure this duty comes off one of the Lochside School runs and typically uses a E500. However there would be no issue with the use of an Artic as most of the route is on wide dual carriageway roads anyway.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Looks very smart!

Wonder if the plan is to repaint the remaining blue ex-FSE examples then do the rest of the B7RLEs? I’m excited to see an artic and an E500 in the new livery!

I believe the Ex-FSE B7RLEs and Geminis will be the first vehicles to be done, where from there they go is unknown but i'd suspect the remainder of the B7RLEs and the E300s will be the next priority. The Streetlites and E500s are probably of the lowest priority as most of the E500s were repainted and/or partially painted just 3 years ago and most of the Streetlites remain fairly fresh.

I doubt the Artics will be done as they don't have long left. Although certain examples could do with a tidy up!

buslad1988

Really like the new Scottish First liveries; so simple yet so smart.

Only thing that bugs me on both 69294 (and in general on the FSE unbranded versions) is that I wish they’d decide what version of the First logo they want to use! On the front/rear they use the original barbie First (f) logo but on the sides (above door and cab window) they use the newer style large (f) FirstAberdeen. Why can’t they just pick a preferred version and use it consistently!

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

Only thing that bugs me on both 69294 (and in general on the FSE unbranded versions) is that I wish they’d decide what version of the First logo they want to use! On the front/rear they use the original barbie First (f) logo but on the sides (above door and cab window) they use the newer style large (f) FirstAberdeen. Why can’t they just pick a preferred version and use it consistently!

I noticed this too! I think it would have finished the livery off nicer if they’d gone for the new “F” at the front. FSE and Aberdeen’s look really great and it’s nice that each individual livery means something personal to each area’s heritage.

However Glasgow I think should have gone with an orange and black livery. Not really a fan of Glasgow’s. Even a bit of pink or something in it would have been nice.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
One of the Ex-FSE Blue B7RLEs (most likely 69290) has been sat face in at the depot for quite a few days now, could possibly be the next vehicle for repaint. My guess is that one of the drivers taking the Panthers up from Caledonia will be taking it down.

I somewhat agree, personally i prefer the older style logo on the front, but the lack of consistency with the sides is irritating.

However Glasgow I think should have gone with an orange and black livery. Not really a fan of Glasgow’s. Even a bit of pink or something in it would have been nice.

Not sure if you've seen my reasoning before, but for the avoidance of doubt i'll say it again! The Glasgow fleet is so big that having a 100% unique livery would never work, you could perhaps however have a specific geological section of the network using it's own livery to break things up a bit.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Nonsense. So many different route brandings can work yet a specific standard black/orange livery for Glasgow can’t work? No, just no.

It like saying glasgows fleet of 800ish cant all have the lilac colouring because the fleets too big yet somehow it works just now.

Not quite. The lilac being used on the rear is the same as that being used down south, meaning when branded vehicles transfer they just have to replace the front wedge rather than repainting 75% of the vehicle. Anyhoo this is unrelated to the Aberdeen thread and i was just putting a theory out there!

Gingerbus1991

Not quite. The lilac being used on the rear is the same as that being used down south, meaning when branded vehicles transfer they just have to replace the front wedge rather than repainting 75% of the vehicle. Anyhoo this is unrelated to the Aberdeen thread and i was just putting a theory out there!
hence why one day I do hope that First Group are broken up and sold off to prevent this from happening, all this says to me is that some other poor relative of the First Group gets glasgows tattered heaps or glasgow looses newish buses.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
How are First Aberdeen getting on with the relivery process? They seem to be powering through Glasgow’s but haven’t seen much activity in any other buses other than the B7RLE which was down a few months back. Perhaps they’re trying to finish Glasgow and FSE before moving on to Aberdeen but seems weird they did one.

Also any news on when the Streetdecks are due for Aberdeen?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
How are First Aberdeen getting on with the relivery process? They seem to be powering through Glasgow’s but haven’t seen much activity in any other buses other than the B7RLE which was down a few months back. Perhaps they’re trying to finish Glasgow and FSE before moving on to Aberdeen but seems weird they did one.

Also any news on when the Streetdecks are due for Aberdeen?

69294 debuted in the new livery last month, currently 2 Panthers are at Caledonia getting work done i suspect once they come back a pair of B7RLEs will go down in their place.

The Vanhool A330s are due top transfer to Stagecoach to First next month seeing off the last remaining Barbie B10BLEs, with the 10 new Streetdecks being due by summer although still no confirmed date. I've been informed that two of the Streetdecks due for Aberdeen have already been built (albeit not liveried or fitted out) and are currently going through tests with Wrightbus over in Ireland.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
69294 debuted in the new livery last month, currently 2 Panthers are at Caledonia getting work done i suspect once they come back a pair of B7RLEs will go down in their place.

The Vanhool A330s are due top transfer to Stagecoach to First next month seeing off the last remaining Barbie B10BLEs, with the 10 new Streetdecks being due by summer although still no confirmed date. I've been informed that two of the Streetdecks due for Aberdeen have already been built (albeit not liveried or fitted out) and are currently going through tests with Wrightbus over in Ireland.

I’m a fan of the Streetdecks. Many say the E400MMC is a better bus but I like both. Would be nice for Glasgow to have saw some Streetdecks too.

SarahDFIG

Panthers ain't been touched yet. Caley paintshop only been working on Glasgow and FSE. 1 of FSE streetlites was parked up in new livery awaiting to return home on Friday. Glasgow E300 fresh out the shop for the 201 was also sitting.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Panthers ain't been touched yet. Caley paintshop only been working on Glasgow and FSE. 1 of FSE streetlites was parked up in new livery awaiting to return home on Friday. Glasgow E300 fresh out the shop for the 201 was also sitting.

Panthers have already been repainted, vinyls and finishing will be done locally as per the other coaches.

I’m a fan of the Streetdecks. Many say the E400MMC is a better bus but I like both. Would be nice for Glasgow to have saw some Streetdecks too.

They're Hydrogen powered so hopefully that makes them less bad, diesel Streetdecks are bloody awful things and the body is built poorly too. I see the new examples in Leeds still leak like sieves. I would have preferred E400MMCs instead, plus they'd fit better along side our E200MMCs.

Some Further updates:
Panther 20613 has already entered service with FACH.
62153/55 have been relegated to reserve vehicles (effectively withdrawn)
62150 has left for scrap
10170 is being worked on possibly pending being brought back in to use (it had sat at the depot rear since November 2017).

SarahDFIG

Panthers have already been repainted, vinyls and finishing will be done locally as per the other coaches.

Thought they arrived white sorry. they have been painted white for over a week but not moved which is why I said they haven't been touched.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
B10BLEs 62151/53/55 are now withdrawn, leaving just 62149/52/65/66/67/78/80 in service. 62153 will be stripped of parts over the next week in order to assist with the restoration of 62151 which is due to go to Glasgow for a full repaint and refurb. 62150/81 are now scrapped with 62154 due to go soon.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
69294 has had a tidy up following some minor accident damage to the rear nearside, include a painted Wright emblem.

Must admit it really is looking the part!

47677778051_db78235c7b_b.jpg

Photo Source - https://www.flickr.com/photos/41987105@N06/47677778051

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Looks incredibly smart now all they have to do is tackle the inside and those dreadfully worn seats!

Indeed, the seats are the only downside really. If they refurbished them to a similar standard as Glasgow's Gemini's they'd be perfect for the 18. The high back seats of course make them more desirable for a longer route like that.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Call it what ever people want but a half job done ok, slap on some paint..

Ahh, I was waiting for your ever repetitive repetitive comments....

As someone who has seen it in person i can vouch that in person it doesn't look half finished, photos really don't do the livery justice.

overthewater

Established Member
I dont want to get in the middle of this, but could he mean inside? IE seats which do need some TLC even when there were on the 38s?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Call it what ever people want but a half job done ok, slap on some paint..
An accurate description for those white Geminis that have been trundling round West Lothian full (of fresh air) for the last 6+ months, ...however, it's not such an accurate description for the above Eclipse, which, in my opinion, looks rather dapper.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I dont want to get in the middle of this, but could he mean inside? IE seats which do need some TLC even when there were on the 38s?

Possibly... Internally 69294 is probably the tidiest of the Ex-FSE B7RLEs, however a retrim is needed. But this is a discussion that has been had before a number of times....

Gingerbus1991

It really is a thought which has been shared far too many times but one which is more prevalent than ever!

Regarding any FSE, FiG or FA 2006 to 2009 B7RLE’s with just a paint job its hardly going to make a good lasting impression on the public, which after-all is what a bus is there for...the minute those apparently important people that First call customers sit on these buses any effort that the company do make is all and forgotten about, its just another bus with a dank interior, of course a paint job is better than nothing.
Ahh, I was waiting for your ever repetitive repetitive comments....

As someone who has seen it in person i can vouch that in person it doesn't look half finished, photos really don't do the livery justice.
Any freshly painted bus of any colour or pattern look decent in person.

I understand the way in which each enthusiast has there ideology placed when it comes to buses, there colours, driveline or simply the way they sound but at the end of the day...When it comes to purely how a member of a fleet appears as a “whole” it certainly wont be getting any awards, adding an insult to injury the website address looks tacky and unnecessary!