• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Capital Connect Travel Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeroWolfe

I’ve come across this FCC Complimentary Pass in an old wallet. Any thoughts on whether I can still use it on GN services?
Wallet and Moth jokes also allowed......

IMG_0877.jpg IMG_0878.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
FCC ceased to exist in September 2014

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Suppose you might find a willing buyer on eBay for a fiver, collectors item and whatnot

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No. And if you tried it and were caught I would expect a successful prosecution.
This is the sort of post that gives some rail staff on here a bad name.

If you walked up to the barrier at Kings Cross and asked to be let through I would expect no more than a polite refusal and a suggestion to visit the ticket office. Even if you were caught on board a train it would be a penalty fare in the majority of cases. Those that were referred to prosecutions would in the main be dealt with by way of an out-of-court settlement.

For a successful prosecution to occur the accused would need to continually refuse to co-operate throughout the process. That is hardly the MO of someone who has publicly asked for advice on an internet forum.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Given that it has no expiry date, I think it is valid, although the longer ago it was issued the less chance you will find someone knowing what it is.

I would echo the advice that it may be better to see if anyone wants it as a collector's item, if you are not desperate for money. Ending up in a dispute (rightly or wrongly) is not what you want I would suspect and I would say the chance may be fairly high if you attempt to use it.

Established Member
Given that it has no expiry date, I think it is valid, although the longer ago it was issued the less chance you will find someone knowing what it is.

I would echo the advice that it may be better to see if anyone wants it as a collector's item, if you are not desperate for money. Ending up in a dispute (rightly or wrongly) is not what you want I would suspect and I would say the chance may be fairly high if you attempt to use it.
Good luck finding a First Capital Connect service to use it on though...

pdeaves

Established Member
As 221129 suggests, there are no trains on which it is valid; it clearly states 'valid for travel on First Capital Connect trains'. As a side interest, the ORR has not yet revoked the FCC licences where usually it does very quickly after a franchise change so theoretically the company First Capital Connect Limited could still run a train... maybe!

Starmill

Veteran Member

If you have a ticket that says 'London Midland only' on it, is that valid on any trains? Some people will have season tickets issued just weeks ago that still say this. Such tickets may be Annual Seasons. So almost a year from now there may be people with 'London Midland only' tickets - well over a year after the last London Midland train ran. Are you claiming that these people will be prosecuted or that they are at risk of prosecution if they travel on a train operated by West Midlands Trains?

The same applied to people with tickets, which will have included anyone with an Annual season, that said First Capital Connect Only (or FCC Only). Are you claiming that anyone with one of those tickets on a Great Northern service was prosecuted or at risk of prosecution for travelling on trains run by Govia Thameslink Railway?

It's a well known fact that successor franchises take over contracts that their predecessor opened. I'm shocked you've not heard of the idea.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A ticket routed for travel by a defunct TOC (e.g London Midland, Southern Railway, First Capital Connect) must be honoured by the replacement TOC within the validity period of the ticket.

matt_world2004

Established Member
A ticket routed for travel by a defunct TOC (e.g London Midland, Southern Railway, First Capital Connect) must be honoured by the replacement TOC within the validity period of the ticket.
So if the ticket had an expiry date they would have to honour it?

Starmill

Veteran Member
The ticket doesn't have an expiry date, so presumably it's valid in perpetuity.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Perhaps ask on Twitter and see if you can have it exchanged for a Great Northern or Thameslink one. Ask in a friendly manner and the social team may well see a positive PR angle from it, giving them some brownie points and you a one day rover.

Or find someone who wants it as a souvenir and see if they'll buy it.

(Reminds me, I wonder if anyone wants some Wagn antimacassars I got at the end of their franchise? Or should I one day put them on a 387 and see if anyone notices...?! <D )

gray1404

Established Member
Could post it in to customer relations then with a really polite letter. Worst case they write back saying no. I've done this with one Toc and they said no. I escalated it and took it to Transport Focus (who took my side strangely) and London Midland still said no. I'm sure it cost them more to process my correspondence then to simply reissue. In the end I paid for a ticket for the journey I was going to make and LM services were disrupted so I ended up claiming the full amount of the ticket back in delay repay. And spent an extra hour in bed (beauty of real time apps) and enjoying a breakfast at Spoons until services were restored.

They sent RTVs (pre cash payment changes) which I sent back for a cheque as £30+ Although LM did issue the free pass in the first place.

I've asked VT to reissue something similar and its been a yes.

Clip

Established Member
Could post it in to customer relations then with a really polite letter. Worst case they write back saying no. I've done this with one Toc and they said no. I escalated it and took it to Transport Focus (who took my side strangely) and London Midland still said no.

Youll have to give a bit of background on what you were asking because you seemingly involved transport focus for some reason so I'm intrigued to know more especially as they still said no.

gray1404

Established Member
I asked if they could reissue me with another pass to one of longer validity as the one they had issued ran out less then 2 months after they sent it to me. Also, LM is not my local TOC so I only travel with them when I am going long distance. I asked LM if they would extend as I hadn't been able to use it in that 6/7 weeks and also during that time I'd had surgery which meant even making a trip "for the sake of it/for a bash" wasn't practical. So I asked the question. They said no. I escalated it and their Customer Relations Supervisor emailed me to say the time they had given me was "more then reasonable" so they were sticking to their decision. I felt under the circumstances they were not really understanding so I took it to Transport Focus expecting nothing.

(The circumstances under which they came to issue me with the free day pass were also in my head. I travelled with a valid itinerary, major delays due to staff shortages, guard on second to last train said he'd arranged taxi with control as I'd have missed last connection by the time we arrived, this never arrived, I was left stranded and no staff there to help and I had to get a taxi. LM reply was to issue delay repay, admit there was no log of call with control (the guard made it on his phone on board in front of me and was most helpful and concerned) and that the station was indeed closed with no staff to help but they could not refund a taxi even though I was left stranded as it wasn't ordered on their account. I appealed to Customer Relations Supervisor who agreed to pay taxi fare as a goodwill gesture and enclosed the above free day pass).

As it worked out though the journey I would have used the free day pass on, and I had to buy a ticket for, was disrupted and I was compensated so in essence had a free return anyway.

Transport Focus took the view that they were disappointed LM had chosen not to reissue my free day pass when I offered to send the unused one back to them first. They said that they consider it reasonable that any vouchers or such (day passes) that TOCs issue to customers should have 6 months minimum validity and LM should have ensured this at the time of issue. They said they felt it reasonable that LM send me another one and had requested this from Management who they raised it with but LM refused out right. They said that, sadly, as issuing a free day pass was at the discretion of the railway company and was not an entitlement under the NRCoC (as it was at the time), passenger charter or delay repay scheme then there was nothing further they could do to compel them to reisssue it.

As I say I think it ended up costing LM a lot more in costs in the end due to the escalation of the complaint, journey made with ticket was delayed and then a cheque being requested. Non of this could have happened if I'd be travelling on a free travel pass. Strange how it can cost a TOC a lot more money to process a complaint (more if escalated) compared to an individual sending off a few emails. Plus friends who I have been put off by my experience that they would now rather travel on Virgin Advances on direct services compared to LM Only walk ups as they are afraid they might end up stranded too - lost revenue for LM.

I do accept that LM didn't have to reissue though; however I do think they should have adhered to industry standard (according to Transport Focus) and done the first issue of the day pass with a reasonable/6 months validity.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

When franchises change the new company takes on many of the passenger responsibilities and liabilities of the old.

The pass is valid. It has no expiry date. The OP will not be prosecuted. He may however have difficulty in using it thanks to the automatic reaction of some staff to refuse it without thinking.

When Arriva took over Virgin XC the vouchers Virgin XC issued were honoured by the new franchise. They were even reissued in many cases. Complimentary journeys which lay on file were also honoured.

London Midland Only tickets within their expiry date are valid on West Midlands Trains, for example. People are travelling with season tickets in the old name.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When franchises change the new company takes on many of the passenger responsibilities and liabilities of the old.

The pass is valid. It has no expiry date. The OP will not be prosecuted. He may however have difficulty in using it thanks to the automatic reaction of some staff to refuse it without thinking.

When Arriva took over Virgin XC the vouchers Virgin XC issued were honoured by the new franchise. They were even reissued in many cases. Complimentary journeys which lay on file were also honoured.

London Midland Only tickets within their expiry date are valid on West Midlands Trains, for example. People are travelling with season tickets in the old name.

This is a tricky one. It's rather sloppy of FCC not to put an expiry date on the passes. Leaving it open-ended certainly created problems in the future. WOuld you expect someone with a Northern Spirit complimentary pass to be allowed to travel on a Northern service, what about a GNER pass? Then taking it a stage further what about a British Rail complimentary pass or a LMS pass (if such things existed).

At least with tickets they are only issued up to a maximum of 12 months ahead of travel so there's effectively a clear cut off date. I'm surprised there's not a similar requirement for complimentary passes.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
This is a tricky one. It's rather sloppy of FCC not to put an expiry date on the passes. Leaving it open-ended certainly created problems in the future. WOuld you expect someone with a Northern Spirit complimentary pass to be allowed to travel on a Northern service, what about a GNER pass? Then taking it a stage further what about a British Rail complimentary pass or a LMS pass (if such things existed).

At least with tickets they are only issued up to a maximum of 12 months ahead of travel so there's effectively a clear cut off date. I'm surprised there's not a similar requirement for complimentary passes.

On all of these things, they are legally valid if there is no expiry date.

Whether you’d have the gumption to try and use them is something else.

I worked for Virgin WC a few years back and we did honour (well, reissue) an old Intercity comp journey. Never known any other instances as extreme as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.