• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class Declassified

Status
Not open for further replies.

John @ home

Established Member
In this scenario, the first class fare is 1.5 times the standard class one I believe.
The 1.5 multiplier for First Class fares existed in the pre-privatisation editions of the National Fares Manual. This was changed in the early years of the privatised railway. By 2004, the wording was:
National Fares Manual NFM 90 said:
26 September 2004 - 1 January 2005

Fares for First Class Travel
First Class fares for most journeys where First Class accommodation is available are shown in Sections B and C. Where a First Class fare is not shown for the throughout journey and First Class accommodation is available for part of the journey, a through First Class fare can still be issued. This charge is based on the Standard throughout fare (Standard Open or Standard Day) plus the difference between First Class and Standard (FO or FD minus SO or SD) fares for the portion of the journey where First Class accommodation is available.
The relevant chapter of NFM 90 is attached.

I am not aware of any current equivalent instruction.

Attachments

• NFM 90 A1 Intro.pdf
    72.4 KB · Views: 6
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
The 1.5 multiplier for First Class fares existed in the pre-privatisation editions of the National Fares Manual. This was changed in the early years of the privatised railway. By 2004, the wording was: The relevant chapter of NFM 90 is attached.

I am not aware of any current equivalent instruction.

By NFM98 (Jan 2008) this had been slightly amended as shown in the attch: to include scenarios where the entire journey could be completed in first class, the instruction is to add 50% to the standard single (open or day) rounded to the nearest 10p.

Attachments

• nfm98-1st.jpg
    nfm98-1st.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 17

pjnathanail

BRfares shows First Class season tickets and the £7 upgrade between stations on the Norwich to Sheringham line (Eg Cromer to Sheringham!) Avantix doesn't, but shows a £7 FC single fare indicating there is some official mechanism for the £7 upgrade. Why would FC seasons be available on this route though, its not often a 170 turns up!

wintonian

Established Member
BRfares shows First Class season tickets and the £7 upgrade between stations on the Norwich to Sheringham line (Eg Cromer to Sheringham!) Avantix doesn't, but shows a £7 FC single fare indicating there is some official mechanism for the £7 upgrade. Why would FC seasons be available on this route though, its not often a 170 turns up!

Norwich to Sheringham only shows me the weekend first and Cromer to Sheringham only shows a first class season. as long as there is 1 service a week then the journey can be completed in first class, although I doubt in that case anyone would buy such a season though they may buy an upgraded if first class is provided at the weekend.

Requeststop

As an aside to this, when working a local sevice from Markinch in Fife to Edinburgh the service was diagrammed an ex Hull Trains 170 with the rather plush (for a train) green armchair style seats in 1st. The service was not advertised as having 1st class - so this section would have been declassified.

Anyway there were two elderly gentlemen, both holding Fife Concession cards, sitting in the 1st class area. They both had their £1 fare ready when I approached. Being in an impish mood, and with a straight face, I politely informed them that they were in 1st and to "look around" at the superior environment that they were occupying. They agreed that it was rather posh and asked what they had to do - I informed them that a 50% surcharge would be in order and that would be an extra 50p each ~ thank you very much. They presented their 50p stating that they thought it was value for money. Of course I did not accept the additional charge but rather informed them that I had been having them on ~ I was then informed that I should have been on the stage (preferably one with a trap door & a noose <D) but they were still adamant that the extra 50p was value for money on that particular train.

After they had alighted at their chosen stop I discovered that each had left 50p squarely in the middle of the seat that they had occupied. I'm sure that I was the "talk of the steamie" for a while because whenever I saw them again they would wave 50ps at me.

Cheers

Cheers is very apt, because after a nasty day's work, it cheered me up very much. Thanks........and Cheers!:grin:

pjnathanail

Norwich to Sheringham only shows me the weekend first and Cromer to Sheringham only shows a first class season. as long as there is 1 service a week then the journey can be completed in first class, although I doubt in that case anyone would buy such a season though they may buy an upgraded if first class is provided at the weekend.

I have just looked at the Greater Anglia timetable and see that no services are advertised with FC between Norwich and Sheringham (and hence Cromer to Sheringham also)

Have I missed a once a week London through train or somthing?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It is probably just an error that a First Class season exists. Doesn't mean it is necessarily usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.