First Class on local services.

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by Gwenllian2001, 7 Sep 2019.

1. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Before the introduction of DMUs, the First Class Compartments on local services in South Wales were normally kept locked except for the morning and evening peaks, when a considerable amount of 1st Class Season Ticket holders would be travelling. At other times it was necessary to get platform staff to unlock a compartment in order to join, or leave the train. This was a nuisance at stations where arrival platform faces were on the opposite side to boarding. Trying to attract platform staff at Pontypridd, to let you out, was always a nuisance.
    Did this happen in other parts of the country?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. AY1975

AY1975 Member

I know this is a different era from the one you are talking about (indeed the period you are referring to was long before my time!) but I seem to recall some time in the early 1980s, shortly before First Class was abolished on most local services in the North-West, seeing a Class 304 EMU at probably Crewe or Stoke-on-Trent with two of its three First Class compartment doors locked and only the one at the outer end of the Trailer Composite unlocked, and passengers attempting to open the locked doors. It was possible to access the other two compartments via the end one, though.

I presume this was done on off-peak services so that a member of station staff or a travelling ticket inspector could stand by the one unlocked First Class compartment door and check the tickets of First Class passengers boarding or alighting. I'm not sure how widespread this practice was, though. This was one way of policing the First Class on non-gangwayed EMUs and DMUs - obviously not so practicable on coaches or units with non-corridor First Class compartments.

See also the thread on Class 304 EMUs at https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-304-emus.166141/

4. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

I recall 1st class on the 1st gen DMUs but it was mainly declassified by the mid 80s. The seats remained however.

5. 33017

33017 Member

One of my great-grandfathers commuted from Dinas Powys to Grangetown in the 1920s and 30s (at least). A first class season ticket holder, he was apparently given a carriage key so he could open and lock compartments as required.

6. A0wen

A0wen Established Member

Back in the 90s, when the GN inner suburban service at weekends ran into Kings Cross, I seem to recall it wasn't uncommon for Hornsey to send 317s out on such services. The 317s of course being outer suburban units had 1st class whereas the inner suburban service and the 313s which were the usual units didn't have it.

7. Trackman

Trackman Member

I remember them.
    Did they make them into a non-smoking compartment?

8. PeterC

PeterC Established Member

Substitution of various outer suburban units on second class only routes was a regular occurrence under both BR and TOCs out of Liverpool Street.

9. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

I don’t recall that. My memory of smoking on trains was to avoid a certain coach. But on local services I think it was just a section.

can’t believe we had smoking on 2 car DMUs now. (And the tube for that matter). How times change.

10. Springs Branch

Springs Branch Member

In the 1960s and 70s, my posh auntie and uncle led a comfortable but modest middle-class life in one of the nicer areas of Bolton.

Their neighbours in the adjoining semi might well have been the inspiration for Hyacinth Bucket.

From time to time, with husbands safely at work (tightly-furled brollies & briefcases in hand - my uncle was a middle-ranking civil servant, the neighbour a solicitor) and if my aunt wasn't quick enough in finding a "previous engagement", Mrs Bouquet would dragoon her onto daytime shopping trips to the better department stores in Manchester or Liverpool.

These excursions were accomplished by train (DMUs from Bolton to Manchester Victoria or Liverpool Exchange), where "Hyacinth" insisted they travel in First Class. This was presumably to avoid any chance of encountering riff-raff, since there was certainly no problem getting a seat on off-peak local trains in that era (if you were lucky you might get a whole Second Class carriage to yourself).

I'm not sure how much the First Class tickets cost back then relative to typical incomes, but in the absence of Cheap Day Returns, railcards etc, the fare was probably an unwelcome drain on my auntie's housekeeping funds. Also, I suspect, an indulgence she kept more-or-less to herself, my uncle being a thrifty Scot.

Having observed that local DMUs always pottered around with their First Class compartment completely empty, I wonder if these two ladies might have accumulated a collection of consecutively-numbered Edmondson First Class Returns from Bolton T. St. to Liverpool Ex.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2019 at 06:28
  11. mailbyrail

mailbyrail Member

I remember using the train to school between 67 and 70.
    The service was the Chester-Rock Ferry dmu, there were often passengers in the first class compartment in the morning, but I don't remember them being on board the afternoon return services.

12. Mogz

Mogz Member

I remember the North Wales Coast Class 37 hauled trains in the 90s and early 2000s always had a few First Class compartments. These were usually Mk 2 stock in Regional Railways livery. Occasionally you got some Mk 1s with a few Standard Class compartments too. There was one coach doing the rounds that was a Mk 1 with all First Class compartments too, if I recall correctly.

Latterly I think these were declassified.

I remember travelling in a Class 101 in Network South East livery on the Borderlands line too, once. That had a very comfortable de-classified First Class end compartment with the front window blinds up which was great!

Last edited: 16 Oct 2019 at 17:49
  13. Mogz

Mogz Member

Duplicate post.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2019 at 17:47
  14. Mogz

Mogz Member

Triplicate post.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2019 at 17:47
  15. Mogz

Mogz Member

Quadruplicate post.