• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First class travel for wheelchair users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Voyagers and Pendolinos have a space for wheelchairs and their user in First Class, as do / did East Coast IEPs, HSTs and Mk4s.

Last edited:

RPI

Established Member
5 car GWR IET'S only have a wheelchair space in 1st class and not at all in standard

Spartacus

Established Member
I think the default wheelchair space in a TPE Mk5 is in 1st Class.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm a bit lost why Southern First Class would even remotely be described as a "Treat".

If the user were missing out on first class service (e.g. refreshments etc) I'd see their point, but that doesn't apply to Southern services. You'd just be paying more for use of a different wheelchair space if there were one in first class....? What constitutes a first class wheelchair space?

Master29

Established Member
What's his point? He knows it's pointless on Southern Rail and as for describing it as a treat. A bit of look at me with this post.

mrcheek

Established Member
What's his point? He knows it's pointless on Southern Rail and as for describing it as a treat. A bit of look at me with this post.
I suspect his point is merely to try and be famous on Twitter for a few hours.

Ianigsy

In Southern’s case, it’s probably a case of “well, nobody’s ever complained before”.

Under normal circumstances Southern’s first class customer base is going to be heavily skewed towards high end commuting and the number of wheelchair users in that group is likely to be very small. Paying extra for the privilege of sitting behind a door may well also be an unjustifiable luxury.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I'm a bit lost why Southern First Class would even remotely be described as a "Treat".

If the user were missing out on first class service (e.g. refreshments etc) I'd see their point, but that doesn't apply to Southern services. You'd just be paying more for use of a different wheelchair space if there were one in first class....? What constitutes a first class wheelchair space?

I guess they’re making it on a point of principle than anything else. Also not that pleasant being next to the toilet I guess? Also the thought they might be missing out on 1st class quality because they are forced to but, as we know, it’s not the same in other operators.

I did find it odd they worked for Southern and mentioned it was “a treat” because anyone knows it’s just a headrest.

Last edited:

Fuzzytop

similarly there are no accessible spaces in First Class on the new Norwich-London FLIRTs. I am surprised that hasn’t been the subject of similar complaints.

Darandio

Established Member
Had a feeling some of the replies would accuse the complainant of being an attenion seeker. Disappointing.

They are unhappy that the only option they have is to be stuffed in second class next to a bog. In 2021 it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect any customer to be able to access any available class of accomodation.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
similarly there are no accessible spaces in First Class on the new Norwich-London FLIRTs. I am surprised that hasn’t been the subject of similar complaints.

The FLIRTS do get major, major brownie parts for level boarding. And standard class is itself pretty high quality anyway.

Had a feeling some of the replies would accuse the complainant of being an attenion seeker. Disappointing.

They are unhappy that the only option they have is to be stuffed in second class next to a bog. In 2021 it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect any customer to be able to access any available class of accomodation.

That is a reasonable point. With train design, we can do better than stick-them-next-to-the-bog-because-that's-convenient.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That is a reasonable point. With train design, we can do better than stick-them-next-to-the-bog-because-that's-convenient.
The wheelchair spaces still need to be able to access the universal toilet however. It seems that two bays of seats should be removed from the adjacent saloon. There are units which do this in a better manner - eg longer distance stock where the wheelchair space is in the adjacent saloon but it is never done well in 1/3-2/3 door stock. Coming up with a design that allows standard and first class passengers in a 377 to access the universal toilet seems somewhat impossible.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The wheelchair spaces still need to be able to access the universal toilet however. It seems that two bays of seats should be removed from the adjacent saloon. There are units which do this in a better manner - eg longer distance stock where the wheelchair space is in the adjacent saloon but it is never done well in 1/3-2/3 door stock.

Class 185s do it well - the toilet and wheelchair spaces are separated by the vestibule.

Established Member
The wheelchair spaces still need to be able to access the universal toilet however. It seems that two bays of seats should be removed from the adjacent saloon. There are units which do this in a better manner - eg longer distance stock where the wheelchair space is in the adjacent saloon but it is never done well in 1/3-2/3 door stock.
I think 387s have it quite well? Enter and turn left for the carriage and the wheelchair space, the Khazi is to the right.

Attachments

• 16313704070794198294051559156831.jpg
    16313704070794198294051559156831.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 113

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Class 185s do it well - the toilet and wheelchair spaces are separated by the vestibule.
At the expense of the universal toilet being nowhere near the standard class accommodation and the need for people to pass through first class to get to one of the toilets.

I think 387s have it quite well? Enter and turn left for the carriage and the wheelchair space, the Khazi is to the right.
Yes, that is a better arrangement.

GALLANTON

The guard hands you an antimacassar to put on your wheelchair.

the sniper

Established Member

I didn't think that, until someone said above the person worked for Southern previously? In which case they'd know that a wheelchair user being allowed in first class on their units is just being ripped off for the dubious pleasure. Personally, I wouldn't pay to put my own seat in the yobbo magnet box, the only bit somewhat worth paying for is the seat... Now, if they have nothing to do with the railway, I can accept that they may well just be naïve and believe they're missing out on some experience or service.

Alternatively they're just arguing out of principle, but I'd argue that there are more pressing issues to highlight/fix. This seems like the wheelchair rail users equivalent of 'first world problems'...

Master29

Established Member

They are unhappy that the only option they have is to be stuffed in second class next to a bog. In 2021 it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect any customer to be able to access any available class of accomod
Not really. He knew about this situation but still got his 15 minutes for a story as pointless as Southern Rails daft first class offering.

Bayum

Established Member
Not really. He knew about this situation but still got his 15 minutes for a story as pointless as Southern Rails daft first class offering.
Not at all. They quite rightly pointed out that they deserved to be able to sit in first away from the toilet, bike spaces and other parcels that build up around the area. Not a comfortable travelling experience.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Not at all. They quite rightly pointed out that they deserved to be able to sit in first away from the toilet, bike spaces and other parcels that build up around the area. Not a comfortable travelling experience.
You mean so that they unable to use it if they need to?

hwl

Established Member
As some people seem to be unfamiliar with "first class" on southern...

It consists of 12 seats (2+2 format) between the cab and the nearest set of doors (not my photo):

With no UAT in that vehicle.

If the wheel chair space isn't near the UAT you then lose a huge number of seats to create the wide aisle.

The DfT plan for the SE 375 pre covid was to axe first class. A solution to this complain will be similar (or Southern putting a yellow strip above the current wheelchair space)

Bayum

Established Member
You mean so that they unable to use it if they need to?
PPP. P*ss poor planning leads to issues like this. Most other operators seem able to successfully accommodate wheelchair users in such a way that they are able to sit within the passenger saloon and access the toilet.

Bungle73

On Moderation
PPP. P*ss poor planning leads to issues like this. Most other operators seem able to successfully accommodate wheelchair users in such a way that they are able to sit within the passenger saloon and access the toilet.
It is within the passenger saloon........

hwl

Established Member
It is in the passenger saloon.
These are 30:70 door locations and 20m vehicles so there isn't much flexibility.
And lose how many seats? Many of 377s have 3+2 seating the other side of the vestibule

Status
Not open for further replies.