• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Trainee drivers, Anyone heard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKS

Was you reading as well? I assumed you were Newport due to the date.

I'm sounding desperate now aren't I? But as I've said before, dream jobs don't come around often!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT66

Yes it was at reading so like I say it may be different if you did yours in Newport!

welshperv82

That's the news I been waiting for but I was 15th so guessing I didn't make it :( ill give it a couple of days then phone careers hr but its not looking good. Gutted! All this rail simulator practice is for nothing lol!

Congratulations to yourself Paul! Wish you all the best of luck, keep us updated!

Stay positive mate, I had a phone call yesterday for stage 2 and I did stage 1 a month ago :)

LKS

Stay positive mate, I had a phone call yesterday for stage 2 and I did stage 1 a month ago :)

Well done mate! :) bet your over the moon! where did you do yours? I'm guessing Newport by your name but could be wrong!

What are the course dates does anyone know? I know there was one maybe 2 next month and one in jan...is that right?

welshperv82

Hey guys,
Had to pull out of stage 2 for family reasons, absolutely gutted, hopefully it doesn't ruin my chances. Completed stage 1 at Reading in September and stage 2 was back in Reading also. Any news for you guys?

bob hope

No news for me yet regarding my assessment on the 16th October at Reading - even if others on the same day have - the wait is torture!!

So - being the cheeky sod I am I phoned OPC directly who confirmed that the results have been given to FGW - but they wouldn't let me know mine - <(

Well I have a bit of a theory on why some people hear a week later and some hear a month later:

Those who passed the first assessment with flying colours get invited to the second assessment as soon as possible, and all being well they pass that and go onto the managers meeting, impress them and the jobs theirs and they are as happy as pigs in muck!!

If however they slip up at any stage, FGW go back to the people who managed to pass the first assessment without flying colours and see if they can get through the second assessment and managers interview......

Only once they have found the people they want do they let everyone know the results.:roll:

Does that seem feasible to anyone else?

NHG66

No news for me yet regarding my assessment on the 16th October at Reading - even if others on the same day have - the wait is torture!!

So - being the cheeky sod I am I phoned OPC directly who confirmed that the results have been given to FGW - but they wouldn't let me know mine - <(

Well I have a bit of a theory on why some people hear a week later and some hear a month later:

Those who passed the first assessment with flying colours get invited to the second assessment as soon as possible, and all being well they pass that and go onto the managers meeting, impress them and the jobs theirs and they are as happy as pigs in muck!!

If however they slip up at any stage, FGW go back to the people who managed to pass the first assessment without flying colours and see if they can get through the second assessment and managers interview......

Only once they have found the people they want do they let everyone know the results.:roll:

Does that seem feasible to anyone else?

I have not worked out how they do it. If you fail the reaction test then they tell you there and then and you drop out of the process. There must be a reason why they do not tell you at other stages.

LKS

Hey guys,
Had to pull out of stage 2 for family reasons, absolutely gutted, hopefully it doesn't ruin my chances. Completed stage 1 at Reading in September and stage 2 was back in Reading also. Any news for you guys?

Ah no! Gutted for you to mate! Is the reasons long term or can you reschedule? Shouldn't ruin it if it lasts 12 months (but could be wrong)

As for the theory I have wondered that myself, but as someone else said if you fail reaction test you don't go any further so surely it's worth having everyone do it as not everyone may pass to go onto interview.. I took my part 1 on 15th at Newport an the wait is killing me... Only been 2 weeks! I've phoned hr yesterday who said they are still awaiting results?!?

TT66

Not sure bob,I did my assessment last Tuesday stage one and have been told reactions and interview tommorow in reading.Thinking back to the tests on the gb I probly did 10/11 lines each page so half way down and with the dials test I still had 9 questions unanswered so doubt i had very good passes.Would say average/good.I think it may come down to previous work history,your location,the depot you've applied etc Also there's probly a few hundred who have done stage one so lots to mark and organise stage two,may just be a bit of a lottery as too who goes first! Good luck and will let you know how it goes!back to the interview revision!

bob hope

Not sure bob,I did my assessment last Tuesday stage one and have been told reactions and interview tommorow in reading.Thinking back to the tests on the gb I probly did 10/11 lines each page so half way down and with the dials test I still had 9 questions unanswered so doubt i had very good passes.Would say average/good.I think it may come down to previous work history,your location,the depot you've applied etc Also there's probly a few hundred who have done stage one so lots to mark and organise stage two,may just be a bit of a lottery as too who goes first! Good luck and will let you know how it goes!back to the interview revision!

Good luck Paul - and don't let the young lady distract you too much if its the same assessors again! ;)

I think I did about the same as yourself regarding the tests - but been having nightmares about groups of 4 dots that I can see right in front of me, but I can't manage to lift my arm to put a line through!!!

And another theory - perhaps it goes by surname - is yours Aardvark by any chance? :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
By the way Paul - did your online status ever change from the original assesment invite?

LKS

Well I've just had my reply... Failed. I'm absolutely gutted! I've emailed back to find out what it is I failed on. Would like to know.

Good luck to everyone who's still waiting and well do e to all who have passed

macncheese

I have not worked out how they do it. If you fail the reaction test then they tell you there and then and you drop out of the process. There must be a reason why they do not tell you at other stages.

I can not work out how they do it either, its all I've been thinking about for the last two and a bit weeks. Which I think definitely makes the wait alot more painful.

Has anyone been given a conditional offer for a depot other than Oxford?

Im sorry to hear that news Lewis.

LKS

Thanks macncheesse. I've emailed them to see what I didn't do right. I got a feeling it's the gb. The information booklet said that would be in asses 2 with mechanical issues 1, so practiced it but focused on the mechanical and trp which is what I'm guessing let me down. I know it's not an excuse as other people have made the grade, I just wish I knew so I could've studied in the right direction :(

bob hope

Well I've just had my reply... Failed. I'm absolutely gutted! I've emailed back to find out what it is I failed on. Would like to know.

Good luck to everyone who's still waiting and well do e to all who have passed

Bad luck Lewis - gutted for you mate. I have the feeling I'll be getting the same kind of news shortly. Keep plugging away and hopefully better luck next time.

Makes you wonder why they have to keep you waiting so long to hear - I remember watching the lady from OPC marking the papers as we were being talked through the last TRP test!

I wish now I'd taken the test privately before hand - at least that way you know on the day if you've made the grade or not.

macncheese

I hope you get the feedback you've asked for. I had a similar situation with my assessments, I wish they had told me the assessments were split into two days rather than just the one! Its not fair that they mixed up the order of your tests as any logical mind would prepare more for the first stage.

Mix107

I can't see why FGW can't do all the assessments on one day except the Structured Interview like I did for Greater Anglia. A.) it lets you prepare for them all together so no surprises or confusion and b.) it saves time and delays in getting back your results, as people leave the process throughout the day if not successful and papers get marked there and then. Sorry to hear of those that didn't make it. Best of luck to the rest of you still in the running. Only 3 weeks now till I start the course with GA.

macncheese

Mix - how long did you have to wait after your managers interview or whatever the final stage for GA is?

Mix107

For the structured interview got a phone call the next day, as OPC fed back the results on that morning. Had the manager's interview on a Friday in June, told would get the result early the next week. Chased it up a couple of times and found out on the Thursday. I'm not a big believer in sitting and waiting for results. Polite chasing never hurts and shows your keen. GA have always given me good reasons if waiting, then always give them a gentle reminder if I needed too. My longest wait has been from getting the job to starting as July intake was full, so 4 month wait to start. Not long now!

NHG66

I can not work out how they do it either, its all I've been thinking about for the last two and a bit weeks. Which I think definitely makes the wait alot more painful.

Has anyone been given a conditional offer for a depot other than Oxford?

Im sorry to hear that news Lewis.

Hi Mac,

I know of two others along with myself who have been given offers subject to medical etc for Oxford.

Sorry to hear your bad News Lewis, hopefully the results will allow you to brush up on the area you failed and be successful next time, best of luck with that.

macncheese

For the structured interview got a phone call the next day, as OPC fed back the results on that morning. Had the manager's interview on a Friday in June, told would get the result early the next week. Chased it up a couple of times and found out on the Thursday. I'm not a big believer in sitting and waiting for results. Polite chasing never hurts and shows your keen. GA have always given me good reasons if waiting, then always give them a gentle reminder if I needed too. My longest wait has been from getting the job to starting as July intake was full, so 4 month wait to start. Not long now!

That's good you moved along quite quickly, congratulations on getting the job. I'm hoping ill get some good news by the end of this week. I've called them three times in the last 2 weeks, im on first name terms with the lady in HR now haha (maybe too keen?)

NHG66 - im hoping that the vacancies are filled depot by depot. Although there's probably alot more candidates than the people on this forum to take into consideration. I sat my managers interview 2-3 working days after you I think and I still haven't heard anything. Although I was told 2-3 weeks (in my 3rd week now) to hear in the interview so maybe im just too impatient, but what i do know is the waiting is literately sending me insane :(

Mix107

That's good you moved along quite quickly, congratulations on getting the job. I'm hoping ill get some good news by the end of this week. I've called them three times in the last 2 weeks, im on first name terms with the lady in HR now haha (maybe too keen?)
(

Thanks very much. Hope you hear this week and it's good news. The waiting is excruciating, fingers crossed! I'm on first name terms with the GA HR person too, it never hurts. Which depot(s) for FGW have you applied for?

macncheese

Thank you Mix. I live 5 minutes from Reading depot so that was my first choice, I also applied for Paddington and Oxford.

barrykas

Established Member
I can't see why FGW can't do all the assessments on one day except the Structured Interview like I did for Greater Anglia.

It's essentially down to the number of applicants they need to process. The day I did my Stage 1, they had three groups of around 25 people each, which was all the function room in the hotel could comfortably hold.

David_Train

Sorry to hear this Lewisstoner. I'm still waiting to hear the result of my stage one which I took in Reading on the 4th of October. They said we would hear within 7 to 10 days but here I am with no news yet. I think no news is good news but I'm not holding my breath for a successful result. Out of interest did they say you had failed or was it that you got a borderline pass? Has your on-line account status changed? If I fail I'm not going to give up, I'm going to go to a private training session if a TOC offers me another assessment. Best of luck for the future.

Last edited:

barrykas

Established Member
Still no news here. Applied for Paddington back in August and had the Stage 1 in Reading at the start of September...

Sorry to hear this Lewisstoner. I'm still waiting to hear the result of my stage one which I took in Reading on the 4th of October. They said we would hear within 7 to 10 days but here I am with no news yet
I was wondering if anyone else here had also been on 4th October!
At least I'm not the only one who hasn't heard anything.
If I've not heard anything by next week I'll email the H.R. Peeps again, although no doubt be told they still haven't been given the results!

TT66

Did my stage two today at reading! Wow the interview is intense! She dosent give you break! A 10 day wait for results now! They mentioned not to ring before because they have been getting a lot of calls regarding results!

bob hope

Hi Paul - bet you're relieved thats over with! Was it pretty much as you expected?
Was it the same people who ran the first stage?

TT66

Yeah its a nice feeling now its over! Im not going to lie, it is hard but like ive said make sure your prepared.The guy before me came out and said 'what a f***ing nightmare' so i guess he didnt answer many.They ask you questions you never would of thought about but i felt i gave fairly good responses.i think its 50/50 for me!As for the Reaction test just don't rush or panic! hopefully you will hear soon about stage two!

Status
Not open for further replies.