• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puremetal84

Nice one I'm pleased for you honestly, just wish I was in your shoes lol..... I'm sure it was the dials just didn't answer enough Oh well, Oh sorry what depot did you apply for out of interest I went for oxford but to be honest I would go anywhere keep posting and I will wish you luck :D

I applied for Reading depot but like you I would go anywhere! It sounds as though u did a pretty good job on the tests as well, so fingers crossed you hear good news soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swords

pretty similar really, about three quarters down each page with the dots, think it seemed like a full house with the glop test and about 38 with the dials. Never had any indication of scores for the different stages, just a pass confirmation by e-mail with details of the following part, and I too applied for the reading depot but would go anywhere.

varcoe88

I'm another one still waiting to hear from bristol. I was there on the 4th. Got down to around 3/4 of the page on the dots. Was fairly certain I didn't get any wrong or miss any. Might have got one or two wrong on GLOP and got to around 34 on the dials. Though I think I did get one possibly two wrong. Just want to know now how well or badly I did.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I'm another one still waiting to hear from bristol. I was there on the 4th. Got down to around 3/4 of the page on the dots. Was fairly certain I didn't get any wrong or miss any. Might have got one or two wrong on GLOP and got to around 34 on the dials. Though I think I did get one possibly two wrong. Just want to know now how well or badly I did.

It certainly does test the patience skills that for sure
Thank goodness I have Lions match, Moto GP and F1 at weekend to keep my mind off it.. And Glastonbury coverage just in case my mind focuses on it :D

KT530

Hi Ayamonte,
I got three quarters down on each page for the dots test. I didn't have much trouble on the glop and on the dials did about 31-32. I haven't recieved any results so far in terms of how well I passed. Only had emails/texts to tell me I've passed. I did have a phone call asking what date I wanted to sit the second stage though.

I asked them when they rang and they were happy to provide the info.

I think the Stage 1 results were Fail, Boderline, Pass, Good or Very Good

Good luck to those through to DM Interview and to those still waiting to hear, keep the faith

rob12

It certainly does test the patience skills that for sure
Thank goodness I have Lions match, Moto GP and F1 at weekend to keep my mind off it.. And Glastonbury coverage just in case my mind focuses on it :D

Well the F1 wouldn't take my mind off it.. Like watching paint dry for me apart from the grid walks 'I like to look at at the pit girls, ( the lucky buggers) But the Moto GP i'm on that one with you just a shame rossie doesnt have the pace no more but come on CAL love watching this boy looking forward to him getting a factory ride next season.. Now thats going to be intresting... As for glastanbury, have u seen that train station they all decend on! Just glad i didnt apply for a postion any where near there looks like a nightmare

rob12

I asked them when they rang and they were happy to provide the info.

I think the Stage 1 results were Fail, Boderline, Pass, Good or Very Good

Good luck to those through to DM Interview and to those still waiting to hear, keep the faith
Hi mate sorry does your post mean you also got through? or that you where unlucky this time? And you where also there at reading on 29th if my memory serves me rigjt? If you also got through then well done brother!

KT530

Hi mate sorry does your post mean you also got through? or that you where unlucky this time? And you where also there at reading on 29th if my memory serves me rigjt? If you also got through then well done brother!

Hi there

Thanks; Yes, I'm through to DM Interview at Reading. Can't remember off hand what day Stage 1 was.

Best of luck to you

Red18

I see FGW are looking for Qualified Drivers at various locations with a closing date of December.
Wow, that's a whole heap of recruitment.

455driver

Veteran Member
I see FGW are looking for Qualified Drivers at various locations with a closing date of December.
Wow, that's a whole heap of recruitment.

Old news, they have been looking for qualifieds since April last year and have had quite a bit of success.

Any "normal" TOC (as opposed to the "glory" boys) are always happy to entertain applications from drivers with a good record.

Big Dan

Just had an email saying I passed Stage 1 (Bristol 5th June) - cool
BUT - "Unfortunately FGW's workforce planning team have identified some unforeseen and changing priorities across the business and as a result we are not in a position to recruit outside the company for Trainee Train Drivers at Bristol for at least the next six months. This means that, regretfully, we are unable to offer you a Stage 2 invitation at this time. We understand how disappointing this is, particularly as you have taken time to prepare for and attend the assessment."

I've just had one of these as well, bad news for all the Bristol candidates :cry:

Red18

Same here...
Pass but not recruiting from outside the business due to 'unforseen and changing priorities'

I'm rapidly falling out of love with this company.
What a complete waste of everyones effort, time and money.

Last edited:

Red18

Sounds like qualifieds have filled Bristol.

They are still advertising for qualified drivers for Bristol. The application closes at the end of the year.
Sounds to me like someone somewhere has messed something up.
Not enough driver trainers maybe or no budget for training?

Dave1987

On Moderation
Old news, they have been looking for qualifieds since April last year and have had quite a bit of success.

Any "normal" TOC (as opposed to the "glory" boys) are always happy to entertain applications from drivers with a good record.

Lol I wonder who you are referring to! :lol:

daddy_badger

funny, I haven't had an email from first for ages. still says invited to stage 2 which I did and still awaiting results, whereas I hear the last intake of applicants are not going to stage 2 something is afoot.

davidbarker09

as above got the same email today from FGW gutted to say the least, however Southern gatwick express are looking for drivers from there Brighton depot, worth a shot guys ;)

Quickthorn

funny, I haven't had an email from first for ages. still says invited to stage 2 which I did and still awaiting results, whereas I hear the last intake of applicants are not going to stage 2 something is afoot.

Have you tried ringing the assessment centre where you took stage 2?

varcoe88

;)
Just had an email saying I passed Stage 1 (Bristol 5th June) - cool
BUT - "Unfortunately FGW's workforce planning team have identified some unforeseen and changing priorities across the business and as a result we are not in a position to recruit outside the company for Trainee Train Drivers at Bristol for at least the next six months. This means that, regretfully, we are unable to offer you a Stage 2 invitation at this time. We understand how disappointing this is, particularly as you have taken time to prepare for and attend the assessment."

So at least I know that i've got the right aptitide and assume I can take this 'pass' forward to somewhere else?

Received the same email as well. Happy that I at least passed although dissapointing to say the least! Application shows as on hold on First careers website.

first_ade

Hi there

Thanks; Yes, I'm through to DM Interview at Reading. Can't remember off hand what day Stage 1 was.

Best of luck to you

Same here folks, got my depot mgr interview soon too. Good luck.

Any ideas what the interview entails? I've not been given any prep and there was no mention of tests or anything? Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers in advance!
Ade

rob12

What I find strange is that I think I did I ok on the first stage however I haven't heard either way yet if I passed or failed? I can accept that maybe my scores were not in the top 5 or 10% and maybe that's why I haven't heard back because some fellas have been invited to stage 2, some have heard back saying they failed, some have heard back saying they got borderline pass and won't progress any further and now some have been told they have passed but are not needed (I would be well ****ed if that happened to me) feel for you guys on that one. Is it possible I have passed and I'm waiting for the second wave of intakes or course dates to then be invited back for stage 2? took a friend of mine 18 months before she got on, but it seems pretty clear to me I have missed out this time for the July course just wish I knew what heck was going on!!!

Aviator88

If this helps paint the picture a little more...

I attended the Stage 1 assessment in Reading on the 30th May.

I received an email last week, effectively saying that they are still marking results and aim to be in touch within 7-10 days.

Nothing heard yet. We all need to be patient and let them get on with whatever it is that they're doing. I'm not letting myself become disheartened or becoming obsessive about checking my Emails. I find it best to adopt the mentality that if they want me, they'll let me know at some point.

TPA

If this helps paint the picture a little more...

I attended the Stage 1 assessment in Reading on the 30th May.

I received an email last week, effectively saying that they are still marking results and aim to be in touch within 7-10 days.

Nothing heard yet. We all need to be patient and let them get on with whatever it is that they're doing. I'm not letting myself become disheartened or becoming obsessive about checking my Emails. I find it best to adopt the mentality that if they want me, they'll let me know at some point.

I think you need to get a new brush mate cos you're not painting a picture that has anything to do with what's happening at the moment. Read the threads!

People are being entirely reasonable wanting to know what's going on. They have been told many times that they would be informed in 7-10 days and not heard for months. We all know about patience but people are trying to plan their entire futures here and they are getting understandably frustrated; that doesn't mean they don't want to work for FGW or become a driver anymore, it just means they want to know what's going on.

As for obsessively checking emails, yes that's what plenty of us do because it means so much, not because we're impatient or because we're not "the right stuff". We are desperate to hear because we want the job, why wouldn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.