• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc1

Nobody can beat me I have been awaiting shortlisting since last August

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geargrinder

Just picked up a standard FGW HR email about applying for a role as depot driver at Old Oak Common. It says that after 18 months there would be the chance to go mainline. Too far away for me but might suit somebody?

I saw that job too - Engineering Driver - Of course the bit which says "there may be an opportunity to become a Paddington mainline driver following a minimum of 18 months productive driving on Old Oak Common" could also mean there may not...
Given you have to pass the same assessments, with the number of actual mainline trainee driver roles currently appearing, I wonder if this is a good one to apply for or not ?

swords

I am still awaiting shortlisting from then too, but have been to assessments 1 & 2 plus DM interview from the latest application in may!! go figure

daddy_badger

depends how bad you want a job in the industry, you could be stuck there for 2 years at least before you could transfer anywhere. mind you I believe old oak common is a decent place.

TPA

That's amazing TC1 but not very encouraging though! Have you called them or chased them up? I am due to retire in around 20 years so I'm thinking I may not have enough time left............;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I saw that job too - Engineering Driver - Of course the bit which says "there may be an opportunity to become a Paddington mainline driver following a minimum of 18 months productive driving on Old Oak Common" could also mean there may not...
Given you have to pass the same assessments, with the number of actual mainline trainee driver roles currently appearing, I wonder if this is a good one to apply for or not ?

I know nothing about anything, however, IMHO I completely understand how wazzed off you must be feeling but having put the time and money into it so far wouldn't it be best to just hang in there for the mainline job fella? Depot driver is £15-20K less and not great hours. This process is slow but there's a great job at the end of it and if the previous threads are to be believed there are a lot of jobs out there with FGW. Once any/whatever issues are resolved we may all find it moves faster than an HS2 and within no time were in a crew room laughing about it all.............I bet you've had more dicking around in your previous job!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

WinterChief

That's amazing TC1 but not very encouraging though! Have you called them or chased them up? I am due to retire in around 20 years so I'm thinking I may not have enough time left............;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I know nothing about anything, however, IMHO I completely understand how wazzed off you must be feeling but having put the time and money into it so far wouldn't it be best to just hang in there for the mainline job fella? Depot driver is £15-20K less and not great hours. This process is slow but there's a great job at the end of it and if the previous threads are to be believed there are a lot of jobs out there with FGW. Once any/whatever issues are resolved we may all find it moves faster than an HS2 and within no time were in a crew room laughing about it all.............I bet you've had more dicking around in your previous job!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Id think you'd be better off getting your foot in the door however possible - either position. If they are recruiting go for it.

NI 271

Anyone know the salary for the 'Engineering Driver'? Not too fussy about the trainee salary, I mean once passed out?

TPA

Id think you'd be better off getting your foot in the door however possible - either position. If they are recruiting go for it.

Focused you must stay young Skywalker if your goal you are to achieve. Why stay tied to the mothers ship when you could soar across the galaxy? :D

SkinnyDave

Established Member
This thread has went a bit quiet, how's everyone getting on with assessments and interviews etc

I received this reply from First Great Western yesterday:

"We can confirm that you have passed the first part of the Stage 2 assessment for the trainee train driver role. We are planning assessments over the coming months and will invite you to complete the assessment, however at the moment unfortunately we can't advise when this might be. Please do bear with us and we'll be in touch in due course."

after reading other threads on First Great Western recruitment I will just have to play the waiting game with them.

A

rob12

I just received this reply from GW.........

Unfortunately we have not yet received the results from the assessors, as
soon as we do we will be in contact with you.

Kind regards,
Alice

Resourcing Advisor
FirstGroup Resourcing

FirstGroup plc
Registered in Scotland no SC157176
Registered Office: 395 King Street, Aberdeen AB24 5RP

I have no idea what's going on now!! If I have passed but with a score not high enough for this time round that's fine I would like to know though as I have seen 2 positions come up with another TOC but nothing I can do until I know if I have passed or failed and these are rare opportunity's so don't really want to miss out

henryedward61

I have managed to apply, train and pass-out with another TOC in less time than it has taken First to respond, needless to say I have lost interest in my application with them. Absolutely shambolic!.
Some automated email garbage was the least I expected, considering the depth's required to satisfy the application process.

BromleyBoi

Finally got my results through from the 1st stage assessments in Reading 31st May. Unfortunately it was a borderline pass for me. Good luck to everyone else.

Hughqq

Finally got my results through from the 1st stage assessments in Reading 31st May. Unfortunately it was a borderline pass for me. Good luck to everyone else.

Sorry to hear that, have you seen the freightliner ad? hopefully that means I will get my results soon

Firestarter

I just received this reply from GW.........

Unfortunately we have not yet received the results from the assessors, as
soon as we do we will be in contact with you.

Kind regards,
Alice

Resourcing Advisor
FirstGroup Resourcing

FirstGroup plc
Registered in Scotland no SC157176
Registered Office: 395 King Street, Aberdeen AB24 5RP

I have no idea what's going on now!! If I have passed but with a score not high enough for this time round that's fine I would like to know though as I have seen 2 positions come up with another TOC but nothing I can do until I know if I have passed or failed and these are rare opportunity's so don't really want to miss out

Wont the results be on the datebase so the other TOC will be able to find out themselves if you apply?? I would of thought if you apply they will tell you after doing there own reseatch that you have a recent fail if indeed that is the case. Just apply and see what happens.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Wont the results be on the datebase so the other TOC will be able to find out themselves if you apply?? I would of thought if you apply they will tell you after doing there own reseatch that you have a recent fail if indeed that is the case. Just apply and see what happens.

I agree, get applying..

jc1

I have managed to apply, train and pass-out with another TOC in less time than it has taken First to respond, needless to say I have lost interest in my application with them. Absolutely shambolic!.
Some automated email garbage was the least I expected, considering the depth's required to satisfy the application process.

Indeed I have just had a medical with another TOC what a shambles.

BromleyBoi

Sorry to hear that, have you seen the freightliner ad? hopefully that means I will get my results soon

Cheers Hughq. I hadn't seen the Freightliner ad no, thanks for pointing it out. May be worth emailing FGW as I emailed Tuesday & they got back to me yesterday (Wednesday). Good luck though.

Downtheline

Hi all.

Can anyone confirm please...

Stage 1 tests - is that just Mechanical Comprehension and TRP ?

Are the Concentration and Reaction/Co-ordination tests therefore in part 2?

Do they ever mix them up or would I be safe to assume for the stage 1 test day that I don't need to worry about having myself fully primed for the Group Bordon and Reactions tests?

Thanks all, and good luck with your applications.

swords

Got my provisional offer of employment today, medical next week. Excited doesnt come close!

well done to you, gutted that I still havent heard anything though so guessing it is not good news, dont think the fact that I would have to relocate helped me much at the interview

Puremetal84

well done to you, gutted that I still havent heard anything though so guessing it is not good news, dont think the fact that I would have to relocate helped me much at the interview

Hopefully they are still working through and you'll get some good news tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.