• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

455driver

Veteran Member
FGW are 160 drivers over their numbers FACT.

Any chance of a training course happening this side of 2016 are next to none. :roll:

With the number of drivers moving onto HS and the number of older hands who have said they have no intention of learning IEP and will retire early instead I find that difficult to believe, unless you have some proof to the contrary!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I hope for those already through to that phase you are correct - I however was with someone on Sunday night who would know first hand that FGW have recruited approx 160 drivers too many at this stage.

Yeah and?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oxoneil

Well I'm on hold and haven't given up hope, why would I when I've not been given any official information from the company. Until then I'll still hope that the next thing I hear is them asking me to go for a medical.

Keep faith!!.

How do you apply for trainee driver jobs with first great western? Is there a website you goto. I haven't seen them advertised for a while?

G136GREYHOUND

How do you apply for trainee driver jobs with first great western? Is there a website you goto. I haven't seen them advertised for a while?

Ummmm, yes, try typing FIRST GREAT WESTERN JOBS into google

You do that on a computer, if you don't own one or can't use one, the local library will have one and they can show you how to use it.

They won't flll in the online application form for you however

Ummmm, yes, try typing FIRST GREAT WESTERN JOBS into google

You do that on a computer, if you don't own one or can't use one, the local library will have one and they can show you how to use it.

They won't flll in the online application form for you however

Any need for that?

455driver

Veteran Member
Any need for that?

Well we do have to think on our feet and work things out so he does have a point!
One of the questions they ask at interview is to give an example of when you have had to use your own initiative, if you cant find the jobs page it doesnt bode well does it.;)

Last edited:
Well we do have to think on our feet and work things out so he does have a point!
One of the questions they ask at interview is to give an example of when you have had to use your own initiative, if you cant find the jobs page it doesnt bode well does it.;)

It was a simple question as I hadn't seen any jobs come up for a while, that's all
No big deal.

455driver

Veteran Member
It was a simple question as I hadn't seen any jobs come up for a while, that's all
No big deal.

Sarcasm, and being rude is unecessary, if you have anger issues I suggest you see your gp and not to post on forums

Where have I been rude?

It was a simple question from a simple person.

Funnily enough you look on their website, the reason they haven't advertised any for a while is because they had a massive recruitment drive earlier in the year and they are still working their way through those people that managed to find and apply for the jobs!

Where have I been rude?

It was a simple question from a simple person.

Funnily enough you look on their website, the reason they haven't advertised any for a while is because they had a massive recruitment drive earlier in the year and they are still working their way through those people that managed to find and apply for the jobs!

'Where have I been rude' followed by calling me simple, I suggest you seek help for your anger issue and for possible bi polar condition. Because your not right behaving like this on a public forum. You sir have no manners or etiquette

ultra4

There will be huge demand for drivers once Crossrail starts operating.
They say they will need to employ 400 drivers. Somebody (FGW) must train them first.
For the next few years there will be greatest potential of becoming train driver, than ever before.
Those who are on hold - Be patient, that's all I'm saying.

455driver

Veteran Member
'Where have I been rude' followed by calling me simple, I suggest you seek help for your anger issue and for possible bi polar condition. Because your not right behaving like this on a public forum. You sir have no manners or etiquette

I would love you to get a job at my depot!
There will be huge demand for drivers once Crossrail starts operating.
They say they will need to employ 400 drivers. Somebody (FGW) must train them first.
For the next few years there will be greatest potential of becoming train driver, than ever before.
Those who are on hold - Be patient, that's all I'm saying.

You are saying that FGW drivers will be transferred to CrossRail are you?
Can you post a link to an article confirming that please because we have been told that there wont be any transfers, okay some drivers will apply voluntarily but there wont be any PTR&R moves!

Maybe

I have just emailed HR asking if the email received before regarding potential training courses at the beginning of the year is still planned.

Obviously have stated that dates etc cannot be given, just is that still a potential possibility of wether their business plan has changed again.

I am aware that there is current Union consultations regarding several issues so the chances of courses of the beginning of the new year are quite slim.

However last year I cancelled a holiday having been told verbally I would be on the next training courses which obviously didn't materialise, and I don't want to have to do the same thing again.

Before I get lynched for saying I want to go on holiday etc, I'm not interested, I just want to know if their is any chance before I fork out a couple of grand on a winter holiday

Sent from my iPhone

455driver

Veteran Member
Before I get lynched for saying I want to go on holiday etc, I'm not interested, I just want to know if their is any chance before I fork out a couple of grand on a winter holiday

Everyone is entitled to a holiday! ;)

sent from my computer!:roll:

tlionhart

I have just emailed HR asking if the email received before regarding potential training courses at the beginning of the year is still planned.

Obviously have stated that dates etc cannot be given, just is that still a potential possibility of wether their business plan has changed again.

I am aware that there is current Union consultations regarding several issues so the chances of courses of the beginning of the new year are quite slim.

However last year I cancelled a holiday having been told verbally I would be on the next training courses which obviously didn't materialise, and I don't want to have to do the same thing again.

Sent from my iPhone

See your point. Be interested in the response you get as I plan to book my summer leave and holidays. Was like that for me this autumn after being told in my interview I would start in Sept.

hello

I would love you to get a job at my depot!

You are saying that FGW drivers will be transferred to CrossRail are you?
Can you post a link to an article confirming that please because we have been told that there wont be any transfers, okay some drivers will apply voluntarily but there wont be any PTR&R moves!

where else will they come from? dont believe everthing you are told!!!!!!!!
have you had it in writing that that drivers wont be tuped to crossrail?

badassunicorn

crossrail need to recruit 300 off the street new drivers eventually, and I would be surprised if there wasn't immediate driver recruitment for the commencement of GE services once the concession takes over.

oxoneil

crossrail need to recruit 300 off the street new drivers eventually, and I would be surprised if there wasn't immediate driver recruitment for the commencement of GE services once the concession takes over.

Well they have to get them from somewhere don't they. How will it work as they surely can't have all new drivers? Is there a process for new companies to get drivers from other companies?

455driver

Veteran Member
where else will they come from? dont believe everthing you are told!!!!!!!!
have you had it in writing that that drivers wont be tuped to crossrail?

No I havent because I am not up that way,FGW have made it quite clear that TUPE wont apply but drivers will be free to apply if they want, just as they are now, I wonder what the pay-rates will be on CrossRail?

Oh for what its worth i think TUPE will apply, if the work goes over (which it is) then the drivers go with it!

WCMLaddict

Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment)

Basically it is a piece of legislation that safeguards employees and their employment conditions when a business is transferred to another company or a new contractor takes over activities from another contractor.

New company taking over, automatically becomes the new employer of current staff with same terms and conditions as at previous company. It also prohibits the new company from changing any conditions if the only reason for a change is the takeover/transfer.

Maybe

Well Following my email to HR basically just got told they have no more info. Completely glossed over the questions I asked which where unique to my situation.

Gunna just book my holiday and hopefully everything will be fine.

Cannot see any movement on this before Xmas and am inclined to believe what skinnydave posted earlier in the thread.

oxoneil

Well Following my email to HR basically just got told they have no more info. Completely glossed over the questions I asked which where unique to my situation.

Gunna just book my holiday and hopefully everything will be fine.

Cannot see any movement on this before Xmas and am inclined to believe what skinnydave posted earlier in the thread.

Ha ha, knew that would be the case as I emailed them before you did and (unsurprisingly) none of my questions were answered either.

They can't commit to anything if they genuinely don't know so it's just a case of carry on carrying on.
No I havent because I am not up that way,FGW have made it quite clear that TUPE wont apply but drivers will be free to apply if they want, just as they are now, I wonder what the pay-rates will be on CrossRail?

Oh for what its worth i think TUPE will apply, if the work goes over (which it is) then the drivers go with it!

What do you mean by this? Is it going to be the case that some services currently being operated by FGW will be transferred to Crossrail? TBH as I'm an outsider I'm not totally clued up on Crossrail, are they going to have rolling stock in their own livery?

*** EDIT - Just reading website so have answered my own questions mainly. ***

Last edited:

skjonesfamily

I was thinking the same thing, it is getting painfully frustrating. How much longer are we going to be left in the dark.

455driver

Veteran Member
I was thinking the same thing, it is getting painfully frustrating. How much longer are we going to be left in the dark.

As has been posted 300 times already-
Rail recruitment is incredibly slow at the best of times, the fact that FGW have just done a massive recruitment drive has left a lot of depots over establishment and put a massive strain on the Driver Management and Driver Instructors so they dont want to put many more trainees through the system just yet to give them a chance to catch up (a trainee/PQA driver is about the same workload as 5 'ordinary' drivers).

When they need more drivers they are going to take them from the Talent Pool rather than do another recruitmet drive.

If you dont like it then remove yourself from the talent pool, nobody is forcing you to stay in it!

DaveCheeseman

As has been posted 300 times already-
Rail recruitment is incredibly slow at the best of times, the fact that FGW have just done a massive recruitment drive has left a lot of depots over establishment and put a massive strain on the Driver Management and Driver Instructors so they dont want to put many more trainees through the system just yet to give them a chance to catch up (a trainee/PQA driver is about the same workload as 5 'ordinary' drivers).

When they need more drivers they are going to take them from the Talent Pool rather than do another recruitmet drive.

If you dont like it then remove yourself from the talent pool, nobody is forcing you to stay in it!

The talent pool is fine and I don't have a problem with it providing FGW are making it clear that applicants are in a talent pool. I may be wrong but I get the impression this is not the case... The lack of information seems to be the cause of many peoples frustrations and insecurities?

skjonesfamily

Alright Alright Cheesman calm down, im frustrated because i really want the job and am eager to get started so why on earth would i remove myself from the talent pool. I assume your already a trainee or driver so its easy to say in your position.

DaveCheeseman

Alright Alright Cheesman calm down, im frustrated because i really want the job and am eager to get started so why on earth would i remove myself from the talent pool. I assume your already a trainee or driver so its easy to say in your position.

Er... Read my post again. I was actually showing some sympathy in relation to your plight. I think you'll find it was in fact 455 driver suggesting you remove yourself from the talent pool.

And just for the record yes I am a qualified driver, have been for years so it's Mister Cheeseman to you.

455driver

Veteran Member
Er... Read my post again. I was actually showing some sympathy in relation to your plight. I think you'll find it was in fact 455 driver suggesting you remove yourself from the talent pool.

And just for the record yes I am a qualified driver, have been for years so it's Mister Cheeseman to you.

It was, if you dont like the game (for that is effectivly what it is) then dont play!
As for Mr Cheeseman line, I assume you are either one of the ex BR 'the world owes me because I am here blah blah blah' type of drivers or a 5 minute wonder with a balanced outlook on life, that is a chip on each shoulder!

Status
Not open for further replies.