• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western trainie train drivers, Reading, Paddington & Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam86

Hi Dave, unlucky with that interview.

Just wanted to ask about when you applied to other companies at what stage do you tell them about your successful assessments?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

I've put it in the initial application as I'd be surprised if it didn't give me an advantage.

Aside from the fact it costs them a lot in money/time/personnel to put someone through for an assessment (which you're saving them), I reckon it shows enthusiasm and good knowledge of what the application process my entail. :)

Got this reply from FGW today with regards to my question about re-locating.

"We do stipulate that to be successful in obtaining one of the roles that you need to demonstrate that you are able to get to your depot within 1 hour. If you currently live further then you would need to clearly detail in your application that you would be willing to relocate as part of being appointed to the position."

I guess thats a yes then :D. Thats my application sorted!

Just thought I would post incase anyone else was wondering

Last edited:

lewisb

Got this reply from FGW today with regards to my question about re-locating.

"We do stipulate that to be successful in obtaining one of the roles that you need to demonstrate that you are able to get to your depot within 1 hour. If you currently live further then you would need to clearly detail in your application that you would be willing to relocate as part of being appointed to the position."

I guess thats a yes then :D. Thats my application sorted!

Just thought I would post incase anyone else was wondering

Interesting.... (heads to rightmove.co.uk):lol:

autotank

Had my interview last Friday at Reading and just had a conditional offer of employment - I'm chuffed to bits! I was fearing the worst as the call didn't come through until 1650 yesterday and they said they'd let me know by the end of play on Wednesday. The lady started off by asking me how I though the interview went which I thought was leading to a gentle let down!

Got to go for a medical next Tuesday in London - anyone know how long it takes for the results to come through? Hopefully starting in February at Reading Depot! Loking forward to hopefully meeting you on the course sultanofswing!

Last edited:

sultanofswing

Well done, good job.

I didn't realise they were still doing interviews for the February course!!!

You will know the results of your medical on the day, the doctor will tell you.

Well done.

hants-man

Maybe they had more failures at the medical than they expected. Or maybe they ran out of time on peoples' notice periods on their current jobs?

Have been meaning to post to say I've had the conditional offer too (for Reading), passed the medical a couple of weeks back and am waiting for the final stage. Getting slightly nail-biting as I have to give notice in just over 2 weeks and I don't think they've contacted for references yet (at least they hadn't a couple days ago).

Would be slightly frustrating to fall at the final hurdle - does anyone else know if their references have been taken up yet?

sultanofswing

I hope they give me my contract before they take reference's, i would hate for my employer to find out i was leaving before i got to tell them!

Got an email saying my contract will be sent out in the next couple of weeks at the latest, they are just waiting for HQ to give them the go ahead.

Can I ask a question to those that have the jobs in February, what sort of work backgrounds are you coming from?

I've applied and coming from a retail background, but I put a big emphasise in the application about the rules I have to follow whilst working.

fordylad

I also got my conditional offer today, for reading, I was starting to worry as it said on hold, well done everyone else
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To answer the background question, I'm from the Raf 12 years service

sultanofswing

I also got my conditional offer today, for reading, I was starting to worry as it said on hold, well done everyone else
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To answer the background question, I'm from the Raf 12 years service

well done, did you get booked into a medical?

hants-man

I thought they'd take up references before sending out contracts.

I'm currently a Civil Engineer (working on highways).

kart

Well done hants-man, autotank and fordylad!!! We all five of us are going to be on the Feb course then!

I look forward to hearing from you. I had my interview last month and still not had a contract! I had a phone call from FGW yesterday from a lady. She told me she didnt mean to call me as I had already been offered a job. I asked her about my contract and she told me it should be sorted soon.

So, my question is, how many people have failed the medical then?!?!

hants-man

Thanks kart (& LCC106).

I'm looking forward to getting going, although without a piece of paper in my hand it still seems unreal. I think it must be something to do with the length of time between each step and the fact that, aside for 1 letter in the post, it's all been done by email and phone calls...

fordylad

I must agree hants man , so far it's all via email and phone calls, I need to give notice to my current employer, but I haven't got a start date yet?

hants-man

Sultan of Swing, I think I might have had my medical on the same day as you (3rd Nov) - I was slighty early and you were very early??

Fordylad, maybe it's like the final test in the recruitment process. Test of nerve and ability to handle distracting situations ?!? Probably not, but it does feel a bit like it.

sultanofswing

@hants man, yeah that's right, bloody under
ground running on time!

Did your status change on the first website? I take it the med went well? I was told I should hear about the contract by the end of the month at the latest.

hants-man

Yep - my status is currently passed medical assessment, or something similar. Medical was fine - apparently I have really good hearing. In fact I could still hear what was going on outside the acoustic chamber, which really didn't help with the test.

Thanks for the info on the contract - that should work with my notice period. Then I can celebrate properly over Christmas!

sultanofswing

Oh yeah my hearing was the same, he had to open the door and tell me to let go of the button when I couldn't hear it, I said I could still hear it, so I just let go when I thought it was quiet enough.

Let me know if you hear anything before me.

kart

I could hear people talking around the sound test room. I know what you mean about not really feeling like you have the job till you have the contract in your hand!

espaceman3

They need more trainee's? I just had my medical for Feb start, maybe a lot of the others failed their medical? I know they are taking on for feb and June corses. Maybe this is for the June start.

I've just completed their on-line application form and screening , there are 16 trainee train driver jobs vacant . I'm 43 years of age ...I hope I stand a chance !

Status
Not open for further replies.