• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western trainie train drivers, Reading, Paddington & Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sultanofswing

What does the medical entail then? I'm still waiting for my date with the good doctor !!

How come you are still waiting? I know of someone who had their interview last Friday, and have their medical booked for tomorrow, I would give them a ring and ask what is going on there.

Basically all it is, eyesight, hearing, urine, blood pressure, pulse, heartbeat, and a few questions on your medical history.

fordylad

Thanks for your reply , in the email I received they asked when I was free to attend a medical. I will chase them up tomorrow, I'll be happier when I get that contract in my hand, I'm eager to start,

espaceman3

and did she confirm that these would be for around June time?

I didn't ask when the intake would start ...anyway I'm out of the running ...did my application form on the Friday , got a reply Monday morning by email saying I hadn't been successful . Ding Ding , knocked out in round 1 !!!

theking

I didn't ask when the intake would start ...anyway I'm out of the running ...did my application form on the Friday , got a reply Monday morning by email saying I hadn't been successful . Ding Ding , knocked out in round 1 !!!

Sorry to hear that fella, do you have any idea why?

sultanofswing

Sorry to hear that mate, so you didn't have an interview then?

bob1

Hi everyone,

I've applied for FCC, the closing date is 7th feb 2012. As FCC and FGW are all part of the same company I was just wondering how long before the closing date did you guys get shortlisted for tests and interviews. I only ask this as i can see that FGW still have their application availible to fill out.

Thanks for any help.

hants-man

Good news Fordylad. I think you might be the last to go for the medical (I assume). A fair few of us had them beginning of November, although I know there was one person who had their's yesterday.

sultanofswing

Good news Fordylad. I think you might be the last to go for the medical (I assume). A fair few of us had them beginning of November, although I know there was one person who had their's yesterday.

yeah I know one who had theirs yesterday, I thought he would have been the last.

I hope the contracts come through before xmas,:|

bailey19

Hi guys just to let you know i got a phone call today with a job offer at reading subject to passing my medical. Its been a stressful couple of weeks waiting for the good news, but very pleased. Just waiting for my medical date.

bob1

would anyone be able to tell me where's the assessment centre for fgw is ?

sultanofswing

Hi guys just to let you know i got a phone call today with a job offer at reading subject to passing my medical. Its been a stressful couple of weeks waiting for the good news, but very pleased. Just waiting for my medical date.

Nice one, they left you hanging there didn't they! Did she not say a date for medical when she rang you?

Well done:)

would anyone be able to tell me where's the assessment centre for fgw is ?

Newport station, although I heard they do them in reading as well.:)

Last edited:

hants-man

Wow bailey19 - can't believe how late some people are hearing - I had assumed that everyone had heard. Congratulations.

Bob 1 - the assessment centre is on the middle platform at Newport station.

LCC106

Established Member
Well done bailey19! Fantastic news! Have my psychometrics for Northern Rail Sheffield tomorrow but been hauled up with bad cold today. Feeling nervous.

Steve1966

I put in for Oxford.
Don't know why, just for devilment I suppose as half the population have probably done it as well.
I was a train operator on London Underground so I know how long and drawn out these affairs can be.
It took over 6 months from application to job on LUL.
From what I have read on these posts, all TOCs seem the same.

kart

So then, who is going to be on the Feb course with me then? LOL! Can’t wait to start and meet you all!

A-driver

Established Member
Nothing wrong with asking where they are?! They will of course tell you if you get an assessment but they arnt gonna assume you already know! Management do visit these types of forums to check up on staff but I think it shows a bit of common sense to ask questions on these forums. It's not like an assesment Center is a highly secret restricted area is it?!

sultanofswing

Nothing wrong with asking where they are?! They will of course tell you if you get an assessment but they arnt gonna assume you already know! Management do visit these types of forums to check up on staff but I think it shows a bit of common sense to ask questions on these forums. It's not like an assesment Center is a highly secret restricted area is it?!

Dunno about that, when I went for mine at Newport I was stood outside the door for half hour before I realised it was the door for the assessment centre.

theking

Well I applied for the new intake, I wonder if i'll have better luck with fgw.

TDK

Established Member
Explain to me why finding out where assessment centres and training centres are prior to applying is not a good start ?

If you need to ask where they are and cannot be bothered to find out yourself in my opinion this is not a good start for your assessment, will you have to ask someone what to do in an emergency situation on a train????

I am pre-empting your character before you attend - seen it before Bob!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I have sat in a reception area prior to interviewing prospective drivers drinking a coffee reading a paper and just listening to the applicants ranting on how easy the interview is and how they are going to run rings around the interviewer, I had one guy who had passed the tests come up to me and say "piece of ****** this assessment lark is, when you go in for the interview just fob the guys off, they are not drivers and only managers who push pens all day", poor bloke nearly fell over his bottom jaw when he came in to see I was the interviewer!

The point I am trying to make here is - if someone can do something for themselves without having to ask anyone this is a good quality for someone applying for a drivers job!

scally

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of applying to FGW,not sure which location to select though. If they do accept my application and im invited to an assessment centre does anybody know what and when i should start practising.
I've heard the assessments are extremely difficult!

sultanofswing

If you need to ask where they are and cannot be bothered to find out yourself in my opinion this is not a good start for your assessment, will you have to ask someone what to do in an emergency situation on a train????

I am pre-empting your character before you attend - seen it before Bob!

But surely him coming to a forum for train drivers and railways would count towards him doing something for himself?

I used this forum and others by asking questions that helped me with my research to what a train driver does etc, I also found out a lot about the depot I would be working at. In fact this site and Wikipedia were the 2 sites I used and they were a great source of info.;)

Anyway it is all irrelevant because he will get told where the assessment centre is when he receives his paperwork.:)

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of applying to FGW,not sure which location to select though. If they do accept my application and im invited to an assessment centre does anybody know what and when i should start practising.
I've heard the assessments are extremely difficult!

wait until you get past the papersift first, and one person may say it is difficult, another will say it is not, it really depends on the type of person you are. This is the whole point of the assessment.

But in my opinion, if you find the tests difficult I don't think I would want you in charge of my train.:|

Last edited:

bob1

I'd just like to say thank you sultanofswing for you help and info. Tdk I understand the point you are making and thanks for your advice too. However I have trawled the internet to find this particular info out in which has come to no avail. I have emailed fgw and they simply stated that the information on the job description is all they have on the subject, so i thought why not ask the people who have already been there, hence carrying out a small bit of research on this forum. The reason for asking, I like to preplan things and research the company before i even begin filling out the application forms.

Happy days

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.