• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western trainie train drivers, Reading, Paddington & Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fordylad

Add Content
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was thinking maybe in reading, as that seems to be a central place? I'll pm you

autotank

Sounds good - Three Guineas (just by the station)? Let me know the time and I'll be there. I'm free all afternoon and evening at the moment.

bob1

Yeah they do. The only time they didn't give me a free pass was when I went to my interview at reading depot.

For my assessments and Medical I was either sent a ticket, or sent an email that I had to print off and take with me. To be honest I could have written the email myself as it wasn't headed or even signed, the gate staff had to check it out at both ends as they weren't sure, but the ticket inspectors on the train seemed to know what it was and obviously seen the letter before. Bit of a pain but there was a direct mobile phone number to the recruitment guy that sent me the email.

Congratulations on becoming a trainee driver, and also to everyone else that has done so.
Just a quick question about the above, how long before the tests did you receive your tickets via post to get to the assesments and interview, I only ask as I have been invited for these next week in reading and nothing was mentioned on the email from the recruitment team about this.
Thanks

hants-man

Congratulations on becoming a trainee driver, and also to everyone else that has done so.
Just a quick question about the above, how long before the tests did you receive your tickets via post to get to the assesments and interview, I only ask as I have been invited for these next week in reading and nothing was mentioned on the email from the recruitment team about this.
Thanks

Ta very much.

I think most (if not all) of the people starting in Feb did assessments at Newport in Wales, so arrangements might be different. I think the paper letter and authority to travel for the assessments came the week before.

When I had my manager interview at Reading, they didn't make any provision for travel - I had to make my own way there.

Good luck for next week.

bob1

Ta very much.

I think most (if not all) of the people starting in Feb did assessments at Newport in Wales, so arrangements might be different. I think the paper letter and authority to travel for the assessments came the week before.

When I had my manager interview at Reading, they didn't make any provision for travel - I had to make my own way there.

Good luck for next week.

Ok, I'll be driving there then haha, nice one thanks for that .

skycop

Even though I have already booked a train ticket, yesterday I got a one day travel pass to go to the assessment....

bob1

Even though I have already booked a train ticket, yesterday I got a one day travel pass to go to the assessment....

Ok, i'll just wait and see what happens, it was wishfull thinking , cheers guys .

fordylad

Is anyone else based at oxford or is it just me, all on my own. Boo hoo !!

As for drinks how does friday evening sound around 19:00? Autotank suggested the three Guineas by Reading station.

sultanofswing

No, I'll be based at Reading which is actually closer to me.

Any news on the drink in the week chaps?

not sure if I can make during the week now, but we will definitely go for a drink on the friday after work in our first week, then at least we should all be together.

on another point, does anybody know if employees get parking permits for stations? Someone I know works in the ticket office for first and he can nominate 2 stations to park his car, and he receives a permit to allow him to do this. Is it the same for drivers?

bailey19

Hi guys Friday night is cool with me.just a quick question on my schedule it refers to my pts at fleet hq any ideas where fleet hq is?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Fleet hq =Bristol

autotank

Is anyone else based at oxford or is it just me, all on my own. Boo hoo !!

As for drinks how does friday evening sound around 19:00? Autotank suggested the three Guineas by Reading station.

I'm in. I'll wait by the bar - I don't have much hair and I wear glasses.

A-driver

Established Member
What are you guys going to wear on your first day? Is it a full blown suit and tie etc.?

If you mean first day of work (induction day I would guess) then something like shirt, smart/casual trousers (ie not jeans, combats, shorts etc) and a coat/smart fleece etc depending on weather will be fine. Can wear a tie if you like. No need for an overly formal suit but it is work and first impressions etc. so avoid jeans or trainers or anything overly casual.

Induction week is funny as you tend to find people turn up each day slightly more casual and less smart!

Status
Not open for further replies.