• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Window Labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

50Fan91

Hi all - I'm quite a collector of First Great Western's destination window labels that adorn the window's of their fleet of HSTs. It's getting nearer to the change over to the new batch of labels come December, so I thought that I'd put out a request and see if there's anyone out there who can help me.

Here's a list of named train labels that I'm still really keen to get hold of. All are up services, or down services which are no longer available. I am willing to either swap or pay a sensible amount for any of the items listed, as long as they are in at least reasonable condition. I have over 300 FGW 'swaps', covering all destinations and many named trains.

FGW043 HFD > PAD "The Cathedrals Express".
FGW095 PAD > NQY "The Atlantic Coast Express", (unobtainable as of 01/09.)
FGW148 PAD > PNZ "The Cornish Riviera", (unobtainable as of 14/09.)
FGW218 PGN > PAD "The Torbay Express".
FGW219 PGN > PAD "The Torbay Express".
FGW251 PNZ > PAD "The Cornish Rivera", (unobtainable as of 14/09.)

Edit: I've just realised that I can put attachments on here.. I've added a spreadsheet detailing all the labels that I am currently looking for.

Attachments

• May12 NEEDED.xls
    90.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thehstman

Hi, im going to Paignton soon and may be able to help on the Torbay Express labels? what other labels do you have?
thanks

50Fan91

Hi, im going to Paignton soon and may be able to help on the Torbay Express labels? what other labels do you have?
thanks

Look out for the up Torbay Express labels - they are very rarely used and are almost impossible to source!

With regards to other swap labels that I have, almost every FGW destination, most named trains and obscure routes and calling patterns. I've got more than 300 swaps, so what named train or destination are you after?!

thehstman

Ok i will do, they should have window labels on the 1C09 10:00 Paddington - Paignton Service but i dont know about the return, i know for a fact they dont have it on the 07:40 departure and most probably the 11:06 but have never travelled on the 14:15 and i was looking at trying to get the mayflower plymouth label, but i will do my best when i go down :)
Thanks

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Do you have the 0520 Bristol to Paddington via Trowbridge window label, unless you've managed to get a copy? I did have one somewhere and might be on one of my draws, or I can get a copy one day if you would like one?

Cheers,

James

50Fan91

0520 Bristol to Paddington via Trowbridge

1K71[SX]

14-May-12 > 08-Dec-12

05.20 PADDINGTON

FGW006

Bristol Temple Meads, Bradford-on-Avon*, Trowbridge*, Westbury*, Pewsey*, Hungerford*, Newbury, Thatcham*, Theale*, Reading, London Paddington

James - If it's this one that you mean, no I don't have it but would very much like it! :D

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I will try to find it for you, if not I'll try and get it for you. I do have the return one too, the 1706 (1C90) Paddington to Bristol via Trowbridge, avoiding Westbury. Do you need this one as well?

50Fan91

Bet this one is missing from the collection..;)

Haha! You'd think so, but I have actually got that one along with the commemorative booklet! Thanks to some very kind friends who were on that particular trip!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I will try to find it for you, if not I'll try and get it for you. I do have the return one too, the 1706 (1C90) Paddington to Bristol via Trowbridge, avoiding Westbury. Do you need this one as well?

I've got the down working, thanks - but I would definitely like to get hold of the up working! The other one that I'm interested in is:

Frome > Paddington

1A72[SX]

14-May-12 > 08-Dec-12

FGW031

Frome*, Westbury*, Pewsey*, Bedwyn*, Hungerford*, Kintbury*, Newbury, Thatcham*, Theale*, Reading West*, Reading, London Paddington

Last edited:

thehstman

Been in Paignton trying to get the torbay express Paignton - London Paddington label and many staff have now said that they only do London Paddington - Paignton labels and dont bother doing any for the return

Many thanks

50Fan91

Been in Paignton trying to get the torbay express Paignton - London Paddington label and many staff have now said that they only do London Paddington - Paignton labels and dont bother doing any for the return

Many thanks

I have heard a similar story - the truth is that the staff at Paignton just haven't got the time to put them up, or simply can't be bothered. The word was that all the Torbay Express labels ended up at Exeter, and were binned there. Thanks for trying!

TEW

Established Member
I have heard a similar story - the truth is that the staff at Paignton just haven't got the time to put them up, or simply can't be bothered. The word was that all the Torbay Express labels ended up at Exeter, and were binned there. Thanks for trying!

They could well be at Exeter, the idea being that they are given to the Train Managers working the service from Exeter-Paignton. I believe they are given the reservations for the up service and have to put them out. There aren't any specific turnaround cleaning staff provided at Paignton.

Just returned from Torbay, having used the riviera line a lot whist down there, ALL HSTs that are working in that area are branded as the Torbay Express but the only clue to this is the station announcements and the indicators on platforms. Certainly no labels

Temple Meads

Established Member
Just returned from Torbay, having used the riviera line a lot whist down there, ALL HSTs that are working in that area are branded as the Torbay Express but the only clue to this is the station announcements and the indicators on platforms. Certainly no labels

Not all HST's that operate in the Torbay area are the Torbay Express, 1C91 the 17:33 Paddington to Paignton and the Paignton to Newton Abbot working of the same stock as the above train are at least two examples...

Not all HST's that operate in the Torbay area are the Torbay Express, 1C91 the 17:33 Paddington to Paignton and the Paignton to Newton Abbot working of the same stock as the above train are at least two examples...

Well i travelled on the 11:06 PAIGNTON to DAWLISH (HST) and this was "The Torbay Express" - FGW do not advertise it as this

My return 1308 DAWLISH to PAIGNTON (HST) was branded as "The Torbay Express"- FGW do not advertise this either

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Well i travelled on the 11:06 PAIGNTON to DAWLISH (HST) and this was "The Torbay Express" - FGW do not advertise it as this

My return 1308 DAWLISH to PAIGNTON (HST) was branded as "The Torbay Express"- FGW do not advertise this either

The 1106 isn't even marked as the Torbay Express in the Timetable, but the 1000 (1308 ex-Dawlish) is. Only one train back labeled as the Torbay Express is the 1415 Paignton to Paddington. There should only be one named anyway, no point naming every train that goes to Paignton 'The Torbay Express', most trains in GWR days I'd imagine only had one named train for each type?

Just as well the 1106 Paignton to Padd isn't named the Torbay Express though, would more suit the 'Berks & Hants stopper' name!

Status
Not open for further replies.