• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

awsnews

Also FiG will review all loss making services with immediate effect, may see hedways changing.
FiG may withdraw from Shotts nothing lost there ,were only present for political reasoning ,no doubt the alternative operator will say the war is won etc etc ,while withdrawing from the 240 route...
Overtown and Dumbarton Depot may possibly become a Local service Depot only non city work with flagship services being transferred to Blantyre and Scotstoun
No point keeping Dumbarton for just the 206/8, the 1 must account for about 80% of the work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stef434

U no a did hear a rumour about the 1 all going to scotstoun and some routes from scotsoun going to caly depot
I would expect to see a variation of permutations, when you asses the No1/No2 network and are told to review the so called loss makers,and without making changes to PVRs and registered vehicles at OP centres ,you can assume that most flagships will be transferred to the bigger depots therefore sending a worrying message to the smaller depot. In return you'll receive a non profit making service to keep the PVR/OP VEH CTRE the same to prevent major duty changes or voluntary driver transfers.
Sounds contradictory but the way UKBUS work everything is a form of contradiction.
Bear in mind an OPCO will transfer a profitable service to prop up a more favourable depot for political reasons

Stef434

I keep referring and using the term Political in my posts throughout various posts were it being First /Lothian etc.
UKBus will register a service knowingly know that it will incur a loss, but will run alongside another operator large or small to simply occupy a presence this will encourage another operator to match FirstBus not necessary price match but headway for headway therefore tying up buses.
some operators have accused FG of predatory tactics (twice :this is quite a lot )and lost but UKBus will spend a pound to protect a penny and won.
Some people will say crazy and question the methods of the madness but unless you've been there ….

CM

Can potentially see some of the ex Parkhead routes getting chopped then. The 32 and 43 can be that profitable for them?

I can remember the 32(and 33) back in the late 90s/early 00s at Parkhead Forge. You'd have about 30 odd people standing at the stop next to the taxi rank and one of those old F reg MAs would appear and leave with a full standing load, arse dragging along the road. Twenty minutes later the next one would appear and it would be an AH and 2 or 3 people would get on.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
If your compliant with industry knowledge then you will get it don't worry PM me I will explain it

I am aware of what you're trying to say, however without being snobby lots of what people are saying in here makes absolutely no sense at all.

alangla

I can remember the 32(and 33) back in the late 90s/early 00s at Parkhead Forge. You'd have about 30 odd people standing at the stop next to the taxi rank and one of those old F reg MAs would appear and leave with a full standing load, arse dragging along the road. Twenty minutes later the next one would appear and it would be an AH and 2 or 3 people would get on.
Ahhh. *those* days. FiG was pretty awful back then. Smoky Ailsas, crappy F reg MAs, dull red livery that had worn through in the wash to SBL orange underneath, H reg Dominators, 38 being all Darts, buses running with no destinations for months (Hong Kong Olys) or just service numbers (everything else), every window etched, nothing maintained, BUT 24/7 service on the key routes & decent evening services all round

Bus Lightyear

Not wishing to appear sceptical but what/who are the sources for these rumours?
I was wondering that too. I'm no business expert but I would've thought it would be counterproductive to cancel services or close depots at this particular time, as some other commenters are suggesting, given the likely sale of First UK Bus. I would suggest such moves would only lose more value to the business.

Bus Lightyear

Ahhh. *those* days. FiG was pretty awful back then. Smoky Ailsas, crappy F reg MAs, dull red livery that had worn through in the wash to SBL orange underneath, H reg Dominators, 38 being all Darts, buses running with no destinations for months (Hong Kong Olys) or just service numbers (everything else), every window etched, nothing maintained, BUT 24/7 service on the key routes & decent evening services all round
The Ailsa and Volvo Citybuses were fantastic buses bought in large numbers by SPTE/Strathclyde's Buses lasting well into First Glasgow days. I think we recognised how good they were when those awful Denis Dominators and Leyland Olympians were brought up from London and Manchester in the early 2000s.

alangla

I’d agree on the Citybus, apart from its ridiculously high step, they were good riding, high capacity (84?), generally solid service buses. The Ailsa, less so. I always thought they felt pretty flimsy and the vibrations from that tiny engine, especially at idle, shook & rattled every window on the bus. In the mornings you were lucky if they could do about 10mph up Hope Street with a full load. Horrible things.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Don’t most 1 services terminate at Dumbarton to avoid them going back to Glasgow to dead head back to Dumbarton again? I haven’t been on this service for a good while now.

Routes like the 43, 46 and 64 must surely need to be looked at. Most nights the 46 passes as a decker with nobody on it. Likewise with the 64 and 43 which always look half empty no matter where I see them even throughout the day. Certain routes are getting deckers because it’s the only buses they have. As the B7Ls go the B7RLEs will just replace no doubt. Surely they could do a merge with the 46 into the 19 or 41 instead of having 3 separate services.

If “the One” was to go to Scotstoun then I could see them probably moving the X8, 9/9A over but I guess that’s depending on what space they have at Caledonia can’t imagine they’re blessed with space!

route101

Established Member
The 31 would be at risk then , been lucky to survive this far .
I’d agree on the Citybus, apart from its ridiculously high step, they were good riding, high capacity (84?), generally solid service buses. The Ailsa, less so. I always thought they felt pretty flimsy and the vibrations from that tiny engine, especially at idle, shook & rattled every window on the bus. In the mornings you were lucky if they could do about 10mph up Hope Street with a full load. Horrible things.

Yeah the Citybuses were good , recall the noise of them down Union St , lasted till 2009, though by that point on routes like 43 and 46.

route101

Established Member
Don’t most 1 services terminate at Dumbarton to avoid them going back to Glasgow to dead head back to Dumbarton again? I haven’t been on this service for a good while now.

Routes like the 43, 46 and 64 must surely need to be looked at. Most nights the 46 passes as a decker with nobody on it. Likewise with the 64 and 43 which always look half empty no matter where I see them even throughout the day. Certain routes are getting deckers because it’s the only buses they have. As the B7Ls go the B7RLEs will just replace no doubt. Surely they could do a merge with the 46 into the 19 or 41 instead of having 3 separate services.

If “the One” was to go to Scotstoun then I could see them probably moving the X8, 9/9A over but I guess that’s depending on what space they have at Caledonia can’t imagine they’re blessed with space!

The 19 is linked to the 46 i think . Used to do that with the 19 and 43 , used to change numbers i the town.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
The 19 is linked to the 46 i think . Used to do that with the 19 and 43 , used to change numbers i the town.

Yeah the 19 and 46 are linked. The 43 used to go into the City Centre then go back to Easterhouse as a 19.

They tried the 43 going back into the City Centre not that long ago on a Sunday only but was quickly pulled.

Bus Lightyear

Yeah the As were noisy and a lot of them shuddered when stationery. They struggled to pull away uphill but could shift once they got going.

Bus Lightyear

The 19, 41 and 46 are completely different routes but I think presently the 46 changes to 19 at Easterhouse and 19 changes to 19A in the city centre and the same in reverse.

The 1 family of routes are surely better to stay at Dumbarton as it is a small depot and would manage the service better than Scotstoun or Caledonia.

The 19, 41 and 46 are completely different routes but I think presently the 46 changes to 19 at Easterhouse and 19 changes to 19A in the city centre and the same in reverse.

The 19/46 interwork but the 19/a do not...