• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lastbus

Remember again that the full fleet doesn't need to meet the LEZ target only city centre workings. If any of the E300s do leave it won't be all of them. As its previously been said other parts of the business that is not getting any investment require newer vehicles also for their ageing fleet. Yes Glasgow has an target to meet we get that but we are still waiting on at least 2 large orders of vehicles too arrive. 100% possibility there could be service cuts to make the process quicker and get E6 vehicles in place where they need to be before the deadline. More E3 vehicles are about to leave very soon :D
No new buses imminent. Some E400s will be converted to help meet the target. Also remember the 32 44 *** series E200 MMCs in Lanarkshire that don’t need to be there. Cost cutting is in overdrive atm.

Not sure if anyone could make money during the day on the X1 – it’s mainly old folk using their passes. But the peak buses are busy. Maybe a thinned out peak service could work, but then you’d have double-deckers sitting in the depot all day not earning their keep. The industry seems to frown on that, so maybe the whole service has to go. A chance for JMB to restart the McKindless Express?!?
Peak X1 would work IMO but as you say what do you do with the buses after peak as they ain’t making money in the depot.

Gingerbus1991

No new buses imminent. Some E400s will be converted to help meet the target. Also remember the 32 44 *** series E200 MMCs in Lanarkshire that don’t need to be there. Cost cutting is in overdrive atm.

Peak X1 would work IMO but as you say what do you do with the buses after peak as they ain’t making money in the depot.
But of course these buses are spare off peak incase any others breaks down off peak, better them sat at the depot ready for peak that being out on the road empty and wasting fuel.

Aidan1

Can see the x1 staying at peak only hours and the 225 running throughout the middle of the day, but with the rest of the changes going ahead by the looks of it I can see a storm brewing within the company.

lastbus

Can see the x1 staying at peak only hours and the 225 running throughout the middle of the day, but with the rest of the changes going ahead by the looks of it I can see a storm brewing within the company.
It’s been cancelled altogether the cancellation has been put to the traffic commissioner.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The X1 change is already getting really bad reaction especially on Twitter. As we all thought too it's turning more people to trains

SarahDFIG

2 new electric vehicles are still due. I know about the E400s and also I was thinking myself that Lanarkshire may get robbed of their new vehicles if needs be.

lastbus

2 new electric vehicles are still due. I know about the E400s and also I was thinking myself that Lanarkshire may get robbed of their new vehicles if needs be.
Yes sorry I meant apart from the 2 electric ones which are already confirmed.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I can also see the newer buses from Lanarkshire being brought through to help in Glasgow. It did seem a weird move for the 241,242 and 254 to all get new buses. It's good to see Lanarkshire services with decent buses but I think that could have been done in a different way by moving some stock from Glasgow through to Blantyre and Overtown while giving Glasgow the new buses

The 240,255,263 and 267 are the only services that need the LEZ requirements applied to them. Could cover the 255 by using the old link from Newarthill with the 254?

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I can also see the newer buses from Lanarkshire being brought through to help in Glasgow. It did seem a weird move for the 241,242 and 254 to all get new buses. It's good to see Lanarkshire services with decent buses but I think that could have been done in a different way by moving some stock from Glasgow through to Blantyre and Overtown while giving Glasgow the new buses

The 240,255,263 and 267 are the only services that need the LEZ requirements applied to them. Could cover the 255 by using the old link from Newarthill with the 254?

As the Lanarkshire buses are mostly shorter 10.8M models the "city work" they can do is limited.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The only one frequency wise out of the Glasgow to Lanarkshire buses that isn't frequent is the 263 but I think the rest could cope no bother

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
This is the issue with branding buses for Lanarkshire services only for them to be cascaded a few months later and for Blantyre and Overtown to go back to getting any old tat to cover smaller services. There was also 65 plate 44*** E200MMCs delivered.

Hopefully more new buses come in order to oust the older ones. That doesn’t solve the problem it only does it temporarily. They should leave the Lanarkshire buses where they are for now. They honestly would be better getting new buses for the 1, 2, 3 and 9 services that would oust a lot of the old stock.

lastbus

This is the issue with branding buses for Lanarkshire services only for them to be cascaded a few months later and for Blantyre and Overtown to go back to getting any old tat to cover smaller services. There was also 65 plate 44*** E200MMCs delivered.

Hopefully more new buses come in order to oust the older ones. That doesn’t solve the problem it only does it temporarily. They should leave the Lanarkshire buses where they are for now. They honestly would be better getting new buses for the 1, 2, 3 and 9 services that would oust a lot of the old stock.
No one has said the Lanarkshire buses are moving it was merely a suggestion.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I can see the 1s getting new buses eventually tbh. Practically the best success story we've had in Glasgow in the last 7/8 years.

The B9TLs being branded for the 61 means nothing clearly given FSE are transferring buses which were only very recently painted for their 23 route. I think the B9TLs would be better suited to routes like the 10, 57 and motorway services while the E400MMCs are better for the 41, 60/60A, 61. Some could even make it on to the 2. Refurbished stock does look good but it’s still very obviously not new stock.

Seems the FSE E400s have started to move. With a few on the 60 today. Yet to be branded. Noticed 33435 and 33445, but others seen from a distance.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Some peak trains are barely coping as it is.

Yeah I avoid the train because of how claustrophobic it can be. I used to get my 2nd train from Glasgow Central low level after college when I went to paisley and it was absolutely unbearable how busy it was and that was back 6/7 years ago

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Yeah I avoid the train because of how claustrophobic it can be. I used to get my 2nd train from Glasgow Central low level after college when I went to paisley and it was absolutely unbearable how busy it was and that was back 6/7 years ago

I get the train to college as the X36 from Saltcoats is too early for me to get.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
First Glasgow come in handy however, when taking the bus up to college from Central station I have the choice of 6 or 7.

The 57/A, Numerous 38's and the X19.

Spoiled for choice.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Surprised they've never tried to market services around the city centre colleges and universities. Missed opportunity tbh

SarahDFIG

What was weird about these services getting new vehicles ? - 3 very successful routes for the Lanarkshire division. This part of Lanarkshire deserved its new vehicles as they are quite profitable for the company. Same can also be said for the 266 which due to requiring an larger number of vehicles this was upgraded and now runs with E5 streetlites with the odd dart/e200 on it. As lastbus said, we only suggested it as an option if the company had to which it shouldn't

The 240 is already LEZ compliant with its branded vehicles.

PaulMc7

Established Member
What was weird about these services getting new vehicles ? - 3 very successful routes for the Lanarkshire division. This part of Lanarkshire deserved its new vehicles as they are quite profitable for the company. Same can also be said for the 266 which due to requiring an larger number of vehicles this was upgraded and now runs with E5 streetlites with the odd dart/e200 on it. As lastbus said, we only suggested it as an option if the company had to which it shouldn't

The 240 is already LEZ compliant with its branded vehicles.

I'm not saying it didn't deserve it or anything. The 254 is the main one that's interesting considering it's such a short route. Used the 266 a few times and those Streetlites are pretty decent to be on. Didn't know there was enough buses to fully cover the 240. Seen a mix of things on it recently

lastbus

I'm not saying it didn't deserve it or anything. The 254 is the main one that's interesting considering it's such a short route. Used the 266 a few times and those Streetlites are pretty decent to be on. Didn't know there was enough buses to fully cover the 240. Seen a mix of things on it recently
The 254 is a very busy route and also has a competitor on it

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Those routes from Glasgow to Lanarkshire that aren’t the express ones drag in, I feel for people who do it daily who’s local bus stops aren’t served by the expresses.