• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
I’m not going to post a name on a forum. Also First have been unable to secure funding for any service increase from the 22nd so there won’t be any increase until the 29th atm.

Fair enough. Poor social media staff next week

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
That’s the government’s plan not the bus operators. Some routes won’t return at all. First Glasgow will not have the same amount of buses on the road that they had pre COVID.

That's one way to speed up the service cuts they've been longing to do for a long time...

PaulMc7

Established Member
What services do we think could go? I don't there's many left that could go without a bit of public backlash and making First's reputation worse than it already is.

The X1 could go but something will surely need to replace the Hamilton section and the 208 is another I'd expect to go. I'd maybe expect the short workings with the 255 to go too. If they're going to cut services after all this it might be worth a rework of the network to find the most effective routes and merge the busiest parts of current ones

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Update from last night looks like there will be a service increase on the 22nd as the government are now reviewing funding.
Do we have any further update on this? I cannot find anything in the public domain relating to transport funding apart from the initial announcement in late March.

overthewater

Established Member
Do we have any further update on this? I cannot find anything in the public domain relating to transport funding apart from the initial announcement in late March.

Thursday would be a good bet for when any announcement might appear.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Update from last night looks like there will be a service increase on the 22nd as the government are now reviewing funding.
Please provide a source for this. If it's "word of mouth" from someone within an organisation and you are unable or unwilling to name them (for obvious reasons), then please at least state that your information came from an internal source and that you can't give further details.

route101

Established Member
What services do we think could go? I don't there's many left that could go without a bit of public backlash and making First's reputation worse than it already is.

The X1 could go but something will surely need to replace the Hamilton section and the 208 is another I'd expect to go. I'd maybe expect the short workings with the 255 to go too. If they're going to cut services after all this it might be worth a rework of the network to find the most effective routes and merge the busiest parts of current ones

x2.

4 past Clarkston. Eaglesham as well.

31 past Carmunnock, will be a big blow to me.

21 past EK Bus Station.

7a perhaps .

route101

Established Member
Noticed what appears dupes today on 2 , Partick to Shettleston , 3 to Shawlands , 240 to Burnhead. Appear to follow a full route service and not on app.

Brimfulofasha

Saw my first

"Sorry … Bus full
SOCIAL DISTANCING"

today at Bishopbriggs Cross - 88C city-bound about 1707. And there was already a group of folk waiting at the next bus stop. Also noticed the destination format changing on several routes with the main in large bold mixed case and the "via" bit below all in small capitals, like I tried to do above. Finally, observed empty buses (3 one day, 1 another) sitting in Blythswood Square a couple of week days before evening rush hour, presumably duplicates.

experts

you seem to have a cruel obsession with route cut backs, including your own local service. I think you’ll get a Surprise.

x2.

4 past Clarkston. Eaglesham as well.

31 past Carmunnock, will be a big blow to me.

21 past EK Bus Station.

7a perhaps .

PaulMc7

Established Member
you seem to have a cruel obsession with route cut backs, including your own local service. I think you’ll get a Surprise.

A good surprise? I think the thing with cutbacks on routes is that we've not seen very much of anything else in recent years so it's harder to be positive with First

route101

Established Member

Not an obsession. I've seen fewer people use some of these routes; my local route has been threatened for years.

A good surprise? I think the thing with cutbacks on routes is that we've not seen very much of anything else in recent years so it's harder to be positive with First

Hopefully.

Saw my first

"Sorry … Bus full
SOCIAL DISTANCING"

today at Bishopbriggs Cross - 88C city-bound about 1707. And there was already a group of folk waiting at the next bus stop. Also noticed the destination format changing on several routes with the main in large bold mixed case and the "via" bit below all in small capitals, like I tried to do above. Finally, observed empty buses (3 one day, 1 another) sitting in Blythswood Square a couple of week days before evening rush hour, presumably duplicates.

I noticed that too on the destination screens. I think they had e400 sitting at Battlefield a sa dupe. The thing with dupes , is why dont they run them between 2 services, rather right behind a service. It seems like the 03 plates are on a lot of the short workings

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Noticed this morning on the app that at my local stop(Dumbarton Road at Plean St) the 7:09 1A and 7:39 1 were both full but the 8:09 1A and 8:39 1 were far quieter. Wonder how much of a problem this will continue to be going forward as Scotstoun is usually pretty busy for the 1s and with 1 1C an hour it won't carry everyone who probably missed out on the full buses.

lastbus

Noticed this morning on the app that at my local stop(Dumbarton Road at Plean St) the 7:09 1A and 7:39 1 were both full but the 8:09 1A and 8:39 1 were far quieter. Wonder how much of a problem this will continue to be going forward as Scotstoun is usually pretty busy for the 1s and with 1 1C an hour it won't carry everyone who probably missed out on the full buses.
There are dupes that are not on the timetable/app operating on the 1s

duffers2324

If this whole idea of service not returning to Pre covid levels, then i will take a stab in the dark about some of the possible frequency reductions i can see happening,
Services 1 and 2- I dont see much change
3- could possibly be dropped to every 12 or 15 mins, if not already every 12 mins (before Covid)
4-dropped to every 20 mins frequency
5-No Change
6-possible drop to every 15 mins as most people on here are pointing out that it is less busy even during the peaks
7-could get dropped to every 12 minutes and possibly 7A Withdrawn
8-No Change
9-No change although 9A may get rejigged
10-No change
16-Could see this going to hourly
18-No change
21-dropped to every 30 minutes and running full route (No Cathkin shorts)
31-No change
32-possible withdrawal
34-No Change
38-No Change
41-possibly being dropped to every 15 mins if not already
46-No Change
57/A-No change
60-No Change
61-No Change

So you get the general gyst,this is of course as you say if there is to be no return to pre covid levels, obviously it might not be all frequency reductions, it could be route revisions as well

ScotRail158725

Established Member
If this whole idea of service not returning to Pre covid levels, then i will take a stab in the dark about some of the possible frequency reductions i can see happening,
Services 1 and 2- I dont see much change
3- could possibly be dropped to every 12 or 15 mins, if not already every 12 mins (before Covid)
4-dropped to every 20 mins frequency
5-No Change
6-possible drop to every 15 mins as most people on here are pointing out that it is less busy even during the peaks
7-could get dropped to every 12 minutes and possibly 7A Withdrawn
8-No Change
9-No change although 9A may get rejigged
10-No change
16-Could see this going to hourly
18-No change
21-dropped to every 30 minutes and running full route (No Cathkin shorts)
31-No change
32-possible withdrawal
34-No Change
38-No Change
41-possibly being dropped to every 15 mins if not already
46-No Change
57/A-No change
60-No Change
61-No Change

So you get the general gyst,this is of course as you say if there is to be no return to pre covid levels, obviously it might not be all frequency reductions, it could be route revisions as well
what were the 1, 4, 6, 7, 21 & 41s pre covid frequencies?

PaulMc7

Established Member
what were the 1, 4, 6, 7, 21 & 41s pre covid frequencies?

1- every 30 mins
1A- every 30 mins
1B- every 30 mins
1C-every 20 mins
1D- every 20 mins
1E- peaks only

4- every 30 mins
4A- every 30 mins

6- every 10 mins

7- every 10/20 mins
7A- every 30 mins

21- Cathkin short works every 30 mins, Gardenhall runs every 30 mins

41- every 10 mins

PaulMc7

Established Member
The biggest problem I see if frequency reductions do come is if the service isn't more reliable than pre covid. For example, the 3 and 6 are services I could see reductions for but both are horrendous in terms of reliability so to keep them attractive they've got to be timed so much better than pre covid across the full route. I don't envy anyone from any operator trying to get services right after we are fully out of lockdown especially as passenger numbers have dwindled for years as it was

Bus Lightyear

Not an obsession. I've seen fewer people use some of these routes; my local route has been threatened for years.

Hopefully.

I noticed that too on the destys. I think they had e400 sitting at Battlefield a sa dupe. The thing with dupes , is why dont they run them between 2 services, rather right behind a service. It seems like the 03 b7tls? are on a lot of the short workings

I'm prepared to be corrected on this but I'm led to believe that duplicates have to run behind registered journeys and not in between. If they did what you said then that would mean running non registered journeys which could incur penalties from the Traffic Commissioner if caught.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
What is the obsession with service reductions in this thread! There are no plans to reduce services long term, at some point in the not to distant future services will be back to pre-covid levels, if not better.

I'm prepared to be corrected on this but I'm led to believe that duplicates have to run behind registered journeys and not in between. If they did what you said then that would mean running non registered journeys which could incur penalties from the Traffic Commissioner if caught.

Indeed you are correct. As the duplicates are running as required registering extra journeys/services could be a waste of resources as there's a chance a bus could be running empty when it's needed elsewhere on a route.

route101

Established Member

Thanks, i thought there was a reason.

Will be interesting to see what increase we wil get. Going by Lothians increase, may not be much. I do think when the non essential shops open, you should be able to do non essential journeys.

route101

Established Member
The biggest problem I see if frequency reductions do come is if the service isn't more reliable than pre covid. For example, the 3 and 6 are services I could see reductions for but both are horrendous in terms of reliability so to keep them attractive they've got to be timed so much better than pre covid across the full route. I don't envy anyone from any operator trying to get services right after we are fully out of lockdown especially as passenger numbers have dwindled for years as it was

Agree about the 6, i thought it was every 12 minutes until someone pointed it out on here. Been pretty relaible during lockdown especially from EK to Town. Of course ive enjoyed the double deckers on the few times ive been on it recently .

lastbus

What is the obsession with service reductions in this thread! There are no plans to reduce services long term, at some point in the not to distant future services will be back to pre-covid levels, if not better.
There is no way the service levels will be better in Glasgow/Lanarkshire after all this is over with.

Bus Lightyear

There is no way the service levels will be better in Glasgow/Lanarkshire after all this is over with.
Depending on much Government funding is available and for how long I can see that being the case everywhere not only Glasgow.

lastbus

An update I didn’t expect to make but atm transport Scotland have pulled funding for the 22nd for first Scotland so there will be no changes.
Even though First seem to be the only company in Scotland following government social distancing rules.