• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
If last time is anything to go by, they'll announce there'll be no changes to frequently them a few days later announce its actually increasing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
If last time is anything to go by, they'll announce there'll be no changes to frequently them a few days later announce its actually increasing.

The social media team is not Glasgow based ,so no point in asking them.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think public mindset will have changed with the last 2 days developments tbh. People do want service increases but there will probably be a growing number wondering if their route is safe from cuts.

It's hard to even know what is truly safe

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Route 31 was one of the old "SCOTRAIL" controlled route which meant it had to operate as seen back in the early 2000s and it was unable to be revised to keep up with passengers demands.

So maybe the X74 can fill the gap? One spare bus running back and forth to hamilton off peak etc

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The social media team is not Glasgow based ,so no point in asking them.
The social media team probably did know about the service changes, just told not to allude to them until a press release was made. It was a similar story with the 4 Scottish Stagecoach OpCos, whereby staff knew about a week and a half before the changes!

PaulMc7

Established Member
If the 31 even went to Philipshill instead of Carmunnock it wouldn't be so bad just to allow people a link to the 6 into EK. As for the 6 I wonder if they could split that at Philipshill into 2 routes: 1 as current and 1 via the 31 route through Stewartfield and Kirktonholme.

In Hamilton with the X1 I do see them bringing in that 225 to cover the Hamilton end like they were going to the last time. The problem for people is that the X1 was very busy at peak so even if it could have been kept as a peak only service it might be of use to people

route101

Established Member
If the 31 even went to Philipshill instead of Carmunnock it wouldn't be so bad just to allow people a link to the 6 into EK. As for the 6 I wonder if they could split that at Philipshill into 2 routes: 1 as current and 1 via the 31 route through Stewartfield and Kirktonholme.

In Hamilton with the X1 I do see them bringing in that 225 to cover the Hamilton end like they were going to the last time. The problem for people is that the X1 was very busy at peak so even if it could have been kept as a peak only service it might be of use to people

31 from EK bus station to Philipshill , might as well just run the full route to Glasgow. I can see a few things happening , best case scenario, an X1 message of use it or lose it , new operator runs it hourly , reduced hours or no service.

Not sure first would be happy diverting the 6s round my bit .

route101

Established Member
Route 31 was one of the old "SCOTRAIL" controlled route which meant it had to operate as seen back in the early 2000s and it was unable to be revised to keep up with passengers demands.

So maybe the X74 can fill the gap? One spare bus running back and forth to hamilton off peak etc

X74 , Is that not Stagecoach route , Dumfries to Glasgow?

lastbus

More buses are going on tomorrow but these will be duplicates so won’t appear on the timetables.

Bus Lightyear

In the bus industry in Scotland in terms of companies the size of First currently there's not anyone I'd say has a worse image than First. Companies need to help themselves too
In my opinion First deserve to be cut some slack as they have or least tried to roll out measures to protect people as much as possible throughout this pandemic. The companies that need to help themselves as you say are the ones with the so called better images than First. Perhaps someone will correct me but McGill's for example don't have protective screens for their drivers which is very poor in this day and age especially in the fight against Covid. And there are others who could do better.

Whether it be drivers, mechanics, cleaners, shunters, depot clerks or admin staff (whatever the bus operator), I think it's fair to say that they all deserve our gratitude for their efforts throughout these difficult circumstances.

PaulMc7

Established Member
In my opinion First deserve to be cut some slack as they have or least tried to roll out measures to protect people as much as possible throughout this pandemic. The companies that need to help themselves as you say are the ones with the so called better images than First. Perhaps someone will correct me but McGill's for example don't have protective screens for their drivers which is very poor in this day and age especially in the fight against Covid. And there are others who could do better.

Whether it be drivers, mechanics, cleaners, shunters, depot clerks or admin staff (whatever the bus operator), I think it's fair to say that they all deserve our gratitude for their efforts throughout these difficult circumstances.

Yeah First during this pandemic have been a lot better than I along with a lot of others would probably have expected. I hope the key worker feedback form stays a thing after this that can be used by everyone as it might help First put resources around more effectively.

Bus Lightyear

Not really as it doesn't take in much of Hamilton. I also wouldn't expect many operators to be in expansion mode for sometime as there's likely to be a lot of uncertainty once the Transport Scotland money ends.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Yeah First during this pandemic have been a lot better than I along with a lot of others would probably have expected. I hope the key worker feedback form stays a thing after this that can be used by everyone as it might help First put resources around more effectively.
There's a slight issue with that - as changes normally have to be registered with the Traffic Commissioner 42 days prior to the change taking effect, and 56(?) days prior notice to the affected local authorities. So any changes from feedback would take at least 8 weeks to actually take effect.

What would be a better idea is to have consultations every 3 months (or however often changes need to be made), allowing the public to comment on proposed service changes before they are registered with the TC.

PaulMc7

Established Member
There's a slight issue with that - as changes normally have to be registered with the Traffic Commissioner 42 days prior to the change taking effect, and 56(?) days prior notice to the affected local authorities. So any changes from feedback would take at least 8 weeks to actually take effect.

What would be a better idea is to have consultations every 3 months (or however often changes need to be made), allowing the public to comment on proposed service changes before they are registered with the TC.

Could include both things tbh. Consultations before changes and then consistent feedback opportunities after the changes. It's been First's issue for a long time though so whether they actually communicate more with potential or current passengers is another matter. I'd personally say it's a must though to do something like that

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Could include both things tbh. Consultations before changes and then consistent feedback opportunities after the changes. It's been First's issue for a long time though so whether they actually communicate more with potential or current passengers is another matter. I'd personally say it's a must though to do something like that
Absolutely. And it's not just an issue with First - it's an issue across the entire industry. Too many timetables are now worked to suit the operations of the network, not the needs of the passengers using it.

overthewater

Established Member
Not really as it doesn't take in much of Hamilton. I also wouldn't expect many operators to be in expansion mode for sometime as there's likely to be a lot of uncertainty once the Transport Scotland money ends.

Once the money runs out so will Social Distancing on the buses.. If the money runs out before that happen the bus company will break ranks.

gnolife

Established Member

From Carmunnock?

Brimfulofasha

More buses are going on tomorrow but these will be duplicates so won’t appear on the timetables.

Glasgow City Council is reinstating parking charges from this Thursday 9th July, which may push some city centre workers - who had been driving during lockdown - back to public transport. I think First Glasgow's frequency increases to date have matched demand fairly well, but there's a limit to that - e.g. no more spare deckers!

There are still a lot of unknowns as well: what will happen in the medium-term when furlough ends, and then in the longer term with large companies re-thinking big city centre office blocks, many of which are still under construction.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The cries of "essential service" for the 31 and X1 seem to have started on social media. The 31 you could technically argue that it's essential as it's the only bus in parts of the route and they've had no warning of a cut with this unlike the X1. The X1 was mobbed at peaks but god knows what you could do with the off peak in order to keep it. It wasn't exactly busier after it was saved the last time off peak from personal experience.

Could the route in Hamilton have been changed? Probably but to what really?

High Earnock-Fairhill-Hillhouse-Burnbank-Hamilton-M74-M73-M8 then town is the only thing I can think of

Last edited:

lastbus

The cries of "essential service" for the 31 and X1 seem to have started on social media. The 31 you could technically argue that it's essential as it's the only bus in parts of the route and they've had no warning of a cut with this unlike the X1. The X1 was mobbed at peaks but god knows what you could do with the off peak in order to keep it. It wasn't exactly busier after it was saved the last time off peak from personal experience.

Could the route in Hamilton have been changed? Probably but to what really?

High Earnock-Fairhill-Hillhouse-Burnbank-Hamilton-M74-M73-M8 then town is the only thing I can think of
It’s nothing to do with the route it was mostly used by college/uni students and people going to work hence why it was busy in the peaks but through the day all it picked up was concessions and people travelling locally within Hamilton.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It’s nothing to do with the route it was mostly used by college/uni students and people going to work hence why it was busy in the peaks but through the day all it picked up was concessions and people travelling locally within Hamilton.

That's entirely why it could have been changed. If all it's doing is picking up concessions and locals then a route change makes more sense

smtglasgow

I don’t normally get my crayons out, but when the X1 cut came up last year I wondered if a cheap solution might be to reroute a few peak 263’s to start at Fairhill, run through Hillhouse to Burnbank then as normal route. The 263 is one of the quicker ‘normal’ routes into Glasgow so you might retain some of the old X1 punters and save some of the season ticket money. But I guess most folk will head for the train.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think we're going to need a bit of route rework to get the most out of everything outside of the core services. I think people will be happier and more likely to use the bus if it can be made as quickly as possible, have a Glasgow City Centre option and it's reliable. Other than that I think it's going to be a struggle.

I do also think we could see a bit of route merging as it could help reduce the number of buses needed by 1 or 2 here and there

lastbus

That's entirely why it could have been changed. If all it's doing is picking up concessions and locals then a route change makes more sense
Your suggestion for a route change is already served by other bus services.