• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

More eclispes on the one too.
During the temporary timetable. The E400s fitted in nicely with the 1/1A/1B. So long as you avoided the low bridges. So probably would need to be a low height version.
Would help solve the overcrowding particularly at peak times.

Maybe more E400s for the 2 and 3 too.

That would allow a good number of E300s to be moved on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
During the temporary timetable. The E400s fitted in nicely with the 1/1A/1B. So long as you avoided the low bridges. So probably would need to be a low height version.
Would help solve the overcrowding particularly at peak times.

Maybe more E400s for the 2 and 3 too.

That would allow a good number of E300s to be moved on.

Could probably drop the 2 to every 10 mins and 3 to every 12 mins if double deckers ended up on them. Used them a lot over the years and single deckers end up full because of the constant bunching and unreliability on both routes. Route length plays a part to be fair

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Could probably drop the 2 to every 10 mins and 3 to every 12 mins if double deckers ended up on them. Used them a lot over the years and single deckers end up full because of the constant bunching and unreliability on both routes. Route length plays a part to be fair

May have been discussed before, but would it not be worth splitting these routes in two? Maybe the Faifley end can terminate at Osborne Street along with the Baillieston half, would allow some sort of regulation.

PaulMc7

Established Member
May have been discussed before, but would it not be worth splitting these routes in two? Maybe the Faifley end can terminate at Osborne Street along with the Baillieston half, would allow some sort of regulation.

I think the problem with the 2 is that it's used crosscity a lot and it's a route that's been a staple in Glasgow for years plus there's shorter routes that are just as bad for bunching so it might not even do anything to help.

The 3 I'd definitely split at Silverburn though. Route is over 2 hours overall and I think that's too long for any route in a city where congestion is as bad as it is. It also goes through some of the worst places for congestion too. From Shawlands to Partick is particularly bad and sometimes Crookston Road onto Paisley Road West can be pretty bad

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Splitting the 2 would be a mistake many east enders use it to get to the west end and particularly the Hydro when events are on.

The 2 has always required deckers but for some reason First seem fixed on putting singles on the route which just don’t make sense for such a big route.

A low height variation of the E400MMC would be interesting and would definitely combat overcrowding on the 1. Yet another route which suffers really bad overcrowding but has singles. This pandemic has forced First to explore alternatives so the alternatives are there and have worked. The 1 should be deckers as should the 2, 3 and 9.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Would be good to see deckers on the 201 and 240 from time to time after the pandemic too. Another 2 services that are pretty bad for overcrowded single deckers

Scott mac

I'd give new buses to everything down the expressway to be fair including the X4.

New singles for the 1/1A/1B
New doubles for the 1C/1D/X4 but renumber the 1C and 1D

Would free up a lot of buses from the 1s especially to get some of the oldest fleet out
Double deckers are not needed on the x4 it is a fresh air express route the 1 will not be getting new buses the e300 maybe 8 years old now but look at the 2 and 3 which also has e300 on them

Some drivers also changeover at the Forge Retail Park.
Not anymore the east end bothy is now closed

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Double deckers are not needed on the x4 it is a fresh air express route the 1 will not be getting new buses the e300 maybe 8 years old now but look at the 2 and 3 which also has e300 on them

The 1 along with the 9 were routes originally touted to be getting new buses this year. The fact the 2/3 still have E300s doesn't really mean much as they're entirely separate routes.

lastbus

The 1 along with the 9 were routes originally touted to be getting new buses this year. The fact the 2/3 still have E300s doesn't really mean much as they're entirely separate routes.
Have heard the 9 is getting electric buses.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

The 9 is crying out for new stock. The B7RLEs are well past it.

If the 1 got new stock it would release a lot of E300s to replace some of the B7RLEs.

Wonder when/if Glasgow will get any new stock.

Scott mac

Yeah separate routes point is they have e300 on them same time as the 1 and their not get
The one wasn't touted as getting new buses new paint job and route branding for the e300 thats it plans before the covid19 are up the air the now order for this year was cancelled or moved to next year was e200mmc for 9/9a e400mmc for 10 57 57a now with 35 electric buses on the way even they plans will have changed as well

PaulMc7

Established Member
On here I remember at least once where the 1s were mentioned when the topic of new buses was discussed. Would make the most sense to be fair for how many buses it would free up and from the fact hammering the E300s down the expressway journey after journey must take a lot out of them

Would fully expect it to be at least 8/10 months before anything new gets here that isn't a transfer though with the current covid situation

route101

Established Member
Would be good to see deckers on the 201 and 240 from time to time after the pandemic too. Another 2 services that are pretty bad for overcrowded single deckers

I took a 240 other day from town to Parkhead, bus was full, driver found it hard to get people not to come on when the bus full destination blind was showing. There was 240 riight behind too. Always try and get a 61 as its decker .

Splitting the 2 would be a mistake many east enders use it to get to the west end and particularly the Hydro when events are on.

The 2 has always required deckers but for some reason First seem fixed on putting singles on the route which just don’t make sense for such a big route.

A low height variation of the E400MMC would be interesting and would definitely combat overcrowding on the 1. Yet another route which suffers really bad overcrowding but has singles. This pandemic has forced First to explore alternatives so the alternatives are there and have worked. The 1 should be deckers as should the 2, 3 and 9.

They ordered too many singles, maybe they much cheaper. I know people will shoot me down using Lothian, but most of there routes are deckers.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I took a 240 other day from town to Parkhead, bus was full, driver found it hard to get people not to come on when the bus full destination blind was showing. There was 240 riight behind too. Always try and get a 61 as its decker .

Yeah even off peak before Covid the 240 was always pretty busy when I got it. That City Centre-tollcross corridor has always been a pretty busy one.

Definitely think Glasgow could do with more deckers to be honest.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I took a 240 other day from town to Parkhead, bus was full, driver found it hard to get people not to come on when the bus full destination blind was showing.
It's difficult enough for passengers to comprehend "Not in Service", never mind "Bus Full"!

PaulMc7

Established Member
It's difficult enough for passengers to comprehend "Not in Service", never mind "Bus Full"!

As someone who has their local stops very near South Street along from Scotstoun depot this is something I very much agree with. The amount of people that stick their hands out for a bus going back to Scotstoun or just fresh out the depot in the morning used to be worryingly high

Volvodart

Established Member
with 35 electric buses on the way even they plans will have changed as well

The 35 buses was the TOTAL funded buses to be built by Alexander Dennis for First, Dundee and McGills, unless First are buying a lot without external funding.

Scott mac

The 35 buses was the TOTAL funded buses to be built by Alexander Dennis for First, Dundee and McGills, unless First are buying a lot without external funding.
So it is my mistake

I think the problem with the 2 is that it's used crosscity a lot and it's a route that's been a staple in Glasgow for years plus there's shorter routes that are just as bad for bunching so it might not even do anything to help.

The 3 I'd definitely split at Silverburn though. Route is over 2 hours overall and I think that's too long for any route in a city where congestion is as bad as it is. It also goes through some of the worst places for congestion too. From Shawlands to Partick is particularly bad and sometimes Crookston Road onto Paisley Road West can be pretty bad
If they every split the 3 which a very much doubt they will it will be the town absolute madness to split at sliverburn makes no sense at all

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
So it is my mistake

If they every split the 3 which a very much doubt they will it will be the town absolute madness to split at sliverburn makes no sense at all

The city centre makes even less sense considering that there's no streets left to do it on plus the 3 is used across the city a fair bit at times

PaulMc7

Established Member
City centre makes a lot more sense that spilting it at sliverburn

Not really. As I've said there's nowhere for it to stop and people use it into the West end from Shawlands etc so Silverburn makes more sense

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Noticed a lot of B7RLEs being repainted into the new livery. I thought the newer stock would have been priority. Some of the 2015 E200MMCs and E400MMCs are badly needing done. Saw a few looking a bit battered and bruised. They’ve also not started on Dumbarton's E300s.

route101

Established Member
Noticed a lot of B7RLEs being repainted into the new livery. I thought the newer stock would have been priority. Some of the 2015 E200MMCs and E400MMCs are badly needing done. Saw a few looking a bit battered and bruised. They’ve also not started on Dumbarton's E300s.

The B7RLES should of had interior refresh, how long are they likely to be in the fleet until withdrawal?

Not really. As I've said there's nowhere for it to stop and people use it into the West end from Shawlands etc so Silverburn makes more sense

If your to do it you would have to have buses going from bottom to top of town. You would end of with more routes and more route numbers.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Possibly because the Eclipses are staying for the future for non LEZ stuff? Would certainly be better to get a refurb internally as well,

It might also be that the e300s might not be staying could be cascaded across the group? I'm not speculating as to that being the case (even though it feels like I am) but a number of the e300s have moved on to FSE or to Essex. As was seen by the influx of new vehicles into Leeds, whilst some older machines were binned off, quite a number of those displaced were relatively youthful 2012 B9s and 2014 e400s that were used to update other WY depots or cascade across First.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The B7RLES should of had interior refresh, how long are they likely to be in the fleet until withdrawal?

If your to do it you would have to have buses going from bottom to top of town. You would end of with more routes and more route numbers.

Yeah that's why Silverburn would be better for splitting it imo. I've used it plenty of times passed the City Centre both ways and you tend to get a reasonable number who do that. City Centre is stupidly crowded as it is for different terminus in certain places. The West Regent Street one for the 19 and 41 is one of the worst

ScotRail158725

Established Member
As was seen by the influx of new vehicles into Leeds, whilst some older machines were binned off, quite a number of those displaced were relatively youthful 2012 B9s and 2014 e400s that were used to update other WY depots or cascade across First.
I heard those B9s were cascaded due to something to do with emissions

lastbus

Yeah that's why Silverburn would be better for splitting it imo. I've used it plenty of times passed the City Centre both ways and you tend to get a reasonable number who do that. City Centre is stupidly crowded as it is for different terminus in certain places. The West Regent Street one for the 19 and 41 is one of the worst
Why would you split it at silverburn? Where would the driver get a break on the bus operating from silverburn to govan? Even if they did split the route at silverburn the likelihood is it would be the same bus continuing to govan as it would need to interwork so the driver can get to their depot or a bothy for a break. There is more to route planning than just throwing random ideas together.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Why would you split it at silverburn? Where would the driver get a break on the bus operating from silverburn to govan? Even if they did split the route at silverburn the likelihood is it would be the same bus continuing to govan as it would need to interwork so the driver can get to their depot or a bothy for a break. There is more to route planning than just throwing random ideas together.

Silverburn would be the easiest place to have a break plus it's straightforward enough to get drivers to and from. I know there's more to it hence the idea in the first place.

How would you go about it?