• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
Well much better value to have network first day vs two singles Glasgow to Hamilton which is over £5 each.

Yeah the singles prices are way too expensive outside of the city zone. Not sure now but I know before that a single from Hamilton to even Calderwood was 20p more expensive than an all day. Was pretty stunned at the time and it makes it more understandable that even for a single journey people choose train over bus

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Yeah the singles prices are way too expensive outside of the city zone. Not sure now but I know before that a single from Hamilton to even Calderwood was 20p more expensive than an all day. Was pretty stunned at the time and it makes it more understandable that even for a single journey people choose train over bus

Yeah its crazy the difference in fare between East Kilbride and Hamilton to City.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidan1

There was one that crashed because of that really awkward bend just before the Thornwood cut off. It's horrendous because drivers tend to swap to the lane for the city centre on the turn because of the size of the bus
Wasn’t either the bus drivers or car drivers fault. Fault with the suspension on enviro 300 type buses meant the rear axle was very loose.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Wasn’t either the bus drivers or car drivers fault. Fault with the suspension on enviro 300 type buses meant the rear axle was very loose. Don’t know if it was ruled firsts fault for poor maintenance or ADL for faulty parts

Yeah I remember it happening at the time. Was out a wander with my girlfriend and we must have went by about 5/10 mins before it happened.

The fares in Lanarkshire are shocking, but then again, how many people are actually paying them? Most are on m-tickets, Firstday/Week or concessions.

Yeah that's true. With how bad they are I doubt many are paying but I don't blame them. It's quite understandable as to why the X1 ended up so bad with fares like that. People clearly just got into a routine with the train so the fare offer that eventually came was pretty meaningless because everyone probably has set ways to go about everything plus Glasgow City Centre itself isn't spectacular these days so it's probably not worth the bother to travel into Glasgow

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Wasn’t either the bus drivers or car drivers fault. Fault with the suspension on enviro 300 type buses meant the rear axle was very loose.

Actually, as far as i'm aware it's not been confirmed if that's actually what caused the crash. Rather that the defect was picked up during the investigation, which lead to another investigation in to that certain part on Enviro300s.

lastbus

Actually, as far as i'm aware it's not been confirmed if that's actually what caused the crash. Rather that the defect was picked up during the investigation, which lead to another investigation in to that certain part on Enviro300s.
If you read the public inquiry the defect on these buses was first picked up in 2017. It’s not been officially announced but it was definitely the cause of the accident. I believe First claimed damages from ADL.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
If you read the public inquiry the defect on these buses was first picked up in 2017. It’s not been officially announced but it was definitely the cause of the accident. I believe First claimed damages from ADL.

That is not true. It hasn't been proven that the defect with the rear axle spring bolts was the cause of the accident so it's probably best to not claim it "definitely" was when it wasn't.

During the DVSA inspection they found vehicles with up to 100mm of play in the bolts, while this should've been rectified at that point it didn't pose any risk. However if there was 131mm of play or more there was a risk that the bolt could fall off with a small risk of the axle dropping out, however this has not happened. Nor has it been proven that it happened in the Clyde Tunnel crash.

The fact First weren't fined somewhat proves that it wasn't the cause of the incident, additionally the main reason First received a warning was for not raising the issue with DVSA rather than "poor maintenance". The defect was noted as far back as 2011. Since the E300s entered service up to the point of the public enquiry First Scotland had ordered over 650 sets of new bolts for the fleet of 130 Enviro300s, however it had been standard procedure for the bolts to be replaced whenever a bush or spring was replaced, hence why the commonality of the defect hadn't been noticed.

route101

Established Member
The fares in Lanarkshire are shocking, but then again, how many people are actually paying them? Most are on m-tickets, Firstday/Week or concessions.

Yes, i rarely buy a single on First. Reminds me of McGills too.

I once asked for First Scotland east all zone ticket, the reaction from the driver priceless, whit? He said.

The network is a greater area, the whole of First Glasgow network to include Lanarkshire network , Cumbernauld and Dunbartonshire.

The glory days 15-17 years ago when a 3-5 Zone ticket was the princely sum of £4.75- it's now £11.90.

Even today, it is not a bad deal, as long as you used it to it's full potential. The problem now is the network is much diminished.

In the glory days when it was £4.75 you could go on the X14 Glasgow to Bathgate, X15/15A Glasgow to Livi, when the 29 used to run all the way from Falkirk to Livi, the whole of the Lothian areas and down to the Borders.
The Stirling local network is a shadow of it's former self.
Bo Ness to Linlithgow was possible
South Queensferry to Edinburgh.
You could even use it to St Andrews on a First operated journey on the 23.
It was also allegedly valid on the 11A from Ardrossan to Kilmarnock- however I highly doubt they ever saw one!
Loads more other journey opporunities I took at the time, places now no longer seeing a First bus.

Some Glasgow drivers did chap on the bandit screens to take a second look when I boarded with them, don't blame them as I highly doubt First Glasgow even told their drivers the tickets existed!

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Bo Ness to Linlithgow is still possible as long as it after 6pm and Sundays, and X53 is now running so you could get to kinross.

Scott mac

With the east end bothy now closed a take it the city centre changeovers are being done at the first bus stop at St Enoch?

Busman84

Yes Stockwell Place for the 2,60,61. Going the other way may be changeovers start of Gallowgate at Glasgow Cross. 41 is at its terminus at West Regent St but I’m sure the M3,19 and 128 tie in with that. 64 and 65 I think Osborne St. The 46 they did have relief points at Rutherglen for that since bothy shut and could still be the same now.

awsnews

I think that was when the Renowns where common on the 1 routes after that bus got removed.
There was at least one E200, 44527, which moved to Dumbarton for a while afterwards but was 67882 not the nominal replacement for the written off one?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
‘The One’ could be doing with new buses. The E300s are tired inside and out. Either that or a refurb it’s scary to think they’re about 8 years old now.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'd give new buses to everything down the expressway to be fair including the X4.

New singles for the 1/1A/1B
New doubles for the 1C/1D/X4 but renumber the 1C and 1D

Would free up a lot of buses from the 1s especially to get some of the oldest fleet out