• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
An interesting thing I've noticed lately is that the low height E400s have been on the 2 a fair bit lately. Seen at least 1 every day this week at different times and there was 2 together at Partick on my way back today. I'm surprised by it considering the 6 frequency even with the extras into the City Centre from Scotstoun West still isn't great and it certainly doesn't suit a lot of single deckers with the every 30 min frequency from Clydebank with the amount of schoolkids and workers.

The 6 on the north side of the city has the weirdest peak passenger pattern ever from experience. Busy into Glasgow city centre in the morning but can be awfully quiet in the evening

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
They will be going on the 201.
I doubt they'd be for the 201 given there's only 16 of them and the 201 requires significantly more buses than that. Additionally the 201 has not long had quite a number of E300s branded for it. The 267 would seem the more likely route for them.

Rgy88

They will be going on the 201.
Interesting that they're going on the 201
The 201 fairly recently received branding (very similar colour to the one)
That would be hinted by the fact there are more regular Enviro200 EV on the 34A today. I saw 64105 and 64106 today. They've been showing up on the 46 too.

I took this image during my walk today, sorry if the display isn't clear, it was taken with a bridge camera
Seen a good few enviro200 ev on the 34a today, at least 4
A lot more on the 7 and 7A including the dark green 7 branded example
I wonder if any of the e200 ev will get branded for thr 34A, I liked the branding colour of the current 34a enviro200 mmc

lastbus

I doubt they'd be for the 201 given there's only 16 of them and the 201 requires significantly more buses than that. Additionally the 201 has not long had quite a number of E300s branded for it. The 267 would seem the more likely route for them.
29 E200MMC buses from Caledonia are transferring to Blantyre and 21 E300s are moving to Scotstoun and Dumbarton. Blantyre are also getting 14 E400MMCs from Caledonia in place of the B7 and B9 double deckers.

Jarcoed

Interesting that they're going on the 201
The 201 fairly recently received branding (very similar colour to the one)

Seen a good few enviro200 ev on the 34a today, at least 4
A lot more on the 7 and 7A including the dark green 7 branded example
I wonder if any of the e200 ev will get branded for thr 34A, I liked the branding colour of the current 34a enviro200 mmc
Yeah there are already 6 of the dark green EV's in service now.
I'd like to see the 34/34A branding on the Enviro200 EV's as well but we just need to wait and see.

First of the 38 branded Enviro 400 EVs now at Caley on 22 plates
I'm going to try and get an image of it tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
29 E200MMC buses from Caledonia are transferring to Blantyre and 21 E300s are moving to Scotstoun and Dumbarton. Blantyre are also getting 14 E400MMCs from Caledonia in place of the B7 and B9 double deckers.
201 will be E200MMC and E400MMC operated, so a mixture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Thanks for the clarification, makes more sense i suppose. However it does beg the question that surely those E300s shouldn't have been branded for the 201 in the first place. There's been an awful lack of long term planning when it comes to vehicle allocations and repaints within First particularly in Scotland of late.

stevenedin

Established Member
Thanks for the clarification, makes more sense i suppose. However it does beg the question that surely those E300s shouldn't have been branded for the 201 in the first place. There's been an awful lack of long term planning when it comes to vehicle allocations and repaints within First particularly in Scotland of late.
I find that route branding, which can be nice with all of the colours, is pointless unless the buses are on the correct routes. There are still some First Glasgow route branded 9/9A buses going around First Midland and West Lothian at one point.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I find that route branding, which can be nice with all of the colours, is pointless unless the buses are on the correct routes. There are still some First Glasgow route branded 9/9A buses going around First Midland and West Lothian at one point.
There's only one actually branded for the 9/9A now, it's just moved about within FSE a few times so gives the impression there's more when there isn't. The others all had the branding removed or have now been repainted.

My issue is more with the fact vast numbers of buses have been repainted when they didn't really need to be and while there's other vehicles in the fleet in dire need. Some buses have also been repainted and transferred elsewhere not long after. For example 38225 was repainted in to the Aberdeen livery then moved to Kernow less than 5 weeks later, likewise 69356/57 were repainted 2-3 months ago and are now included in the vehicles due to leave Aberdeen for Scotland East in the coming months. There just doesn't seem to be any foresight at all...

PaulMc7

Established Member
It's a lottery in Glasgow to be quite honest. The double deckers from the 38 and 75 even before the electrics came in could appear on literally anything Caley operated. A less plain livery would be better than branding IMO except on a few key services.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
It's a lottery in Glasgow to be quite honest. The double deckers from the 38 and 75 even before the electrics came in could appear on literally anything Caley operated. A less plain livery would be better than branding IMO except on a few key services.
I agree. The branding is a nice idea to promote services in theory but Glasgow have never been good at it even as far back as the Overground days. Covid and driver shortages have made the branding even more pointless as capacity loadings on routes which previously required single decks now need deckers (ie the 2). Now there’s so many random coloured buses turning up on just about any service.

I feel like perhaps had Parkhead and Cumbernauld still been in the equation then the branding issue might not have been just so bad but so many routes running out of Caledonia has made it almost impossible to manage. I think a uniform livery would have been the best idea given how much buses are moved around the First empire.

I agree. The branding is a nice idea to promote services in theory but Glasgow have never been good at it even as far back as the Overground days. Covid and driver shortages have made the branding even more pointless as capacity loadings on routes which previously required single decks now need deckers (ie the 2). Now there’s so many random coloured buses turning up on just about any service.

I feel like perhaps had Parkhead and Cumbernauld still been in the equation then the branding issue might not have been just so bad but so many routes running out of Caledonia has made it almost impossible to manage. I think a uniform livery would have been the best idea given how much buses are moved around the First empire.
It only stands to make the life of fleet allocations on a daily basis more of a headache than it has any benefit on the streets. I’ve always seen vehicles out my way from 61-38 & 75 branded buses.

cnjb8

Established Member
First of the 38 branded Enviro 400 EVs now at Caley on 22 plates
I think I read the first as being LG22AWY if that helps anyone.

It only stands to make the life of fleet allocations on a daily basis more of a headache than it has any benefit on the streets. I’ve always seen vehicles out my way from 61-38 & 75 branded buses.
Branding is really good when operators commit to it, which is difficult and only a few operators can seem to manage it

I think I read the first as being LG22AWY if that helps anyone.

Branding is really good when operators commit to it, which is difficult and only a few operators can seem to manage it
On paper I guess, but I’d be willing to stake a bet on it that both those responsible for moving a bus fleet out into service on a daily basis as well as those using the bus on the street, my guess is the majority don’t care what colour the bus is, so long as it runs.

PaulMc7

Established Member
On paper I guess, but I’d be willing to stake a bet on it that both those responsible for moving a bus fleet out into service on a daily basis as well as those using the bus on the street, my guess is the majority don’t care what colour the bus is, so long as it runs.
In the past I've seen people complain about the confusion it causes when buses drift onto other routes but at the current moment in time with how many buses still don't turn up I think being able to get any bus is a bonus. It also doesn't help with the fact the social media team have been mentioning a cancellation feature coming to the app for 6/7 months and it's still not here

In the past I've seen people complain about the confusion it causes when buses drift onto other routes but at the current moment in time with how many buses still don't turn up I think being able to get any bus is a bonus. It also doesn't help with the fact the social media team have been mentioning a cancellation feature coming to the app for 6/7 months and it's still not here
As always applies at any bus stop. Dont look at the colour of bus. But read the destination and number on the front. Be thankful if you get a better one than you thought you were going to get.

Volvodart

Established Member
It also doesn't help with the fact the social media team have been mentioning a cancellation feature coming to the app for 6/7 months and it's still not here
It is in Aberdeen, a stop's bus time is scored through on the app for any cancelled services notified on social media.

PaulMc7

Established Member
As always applies at any bus stop. Dont look at the colour of bus. But read the destination and number on the front. Be thankful if you get a better one than you thought you were going to get.
I agree with you but not everyone will be familiar with routes etc half as much as someone on here who's also a regular user of the buses. I do get why it can be an issue especially in areas where the numbers are all in a pattern too. The 6 in particular can be a nightmare for it as it uses buses from the 2 and 3 an awful lot now.

It is in Aberdeen, a stop's bus time is scored through on the app for any cancelled services notified on social media.
Good to know. Hope it's here too very soon. The only issue is that communication out of Caledonia, Scotstoun and Dumbarton doesn't seem to exist for cancelled services so unless that changes then it won't make any difference

Last edited:

Mrwerdna1

Indeed, I don't think most "ordinary" passengers really care about branding, except in those instances when it actually helps them navigate the system. Mostly, that'll be through consistent branding across all lines (i.e. in London: "hey, there's one of those red buses, I think that's the one we want"). In some select cases, branding might still be appropriate to highlight relevant features such as 24 hour service or "turn up and go" frequencies, but generally speaking, l would say less is more. Now, what bus enthusiasts might want or prefer is a whole other matter...

Mrwerdna1

Well, I'm a bit of an enthusiast myself and I too would prefer simple/consistent branding, but I suppose others might prefer variety over
monotony. Same thing goes for train liveries, really.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The hoary old chestnut of branding... People DO care about branding which is why you don't have a dealer white vehicle with BUS stamped on the site, much as you don't have a chocolate bar with just CHOCOLATE on plain wrapping nor washing powder or many other things.

The key is to ensure that branding is simple, straightforward and consistent. Stagecoach was the epitome for getting this right and even with route/product branding. The new approach is terrible but enough of that. If First in Glasgow, as in any operation, are unable to be consistent in their message, they need to review it.

Individual route branding CAN work but it perhaps needs to be targeted. Not wishing to go off at a tangent but Go North East had a period when everything was branded and it got a bit silly. Instead, it's now a more selective approach. Perhaps certain Glasgow routes that have the most growth potential could be treated but with much better discipline to make it work?

However, in a world where we are surrounded by marketing and branding, the idea that passengers aren't bothered by it is perhaps unlikely. It just needs to be clear and well-executed (and that's easier to type than to do)

route101

Established Member
Branding of routes does not bother me. Only time is when buses are just white with no company branding, you only see that with smaller operators and single deckers. When your standing at the bottom of Union St, the branding works well for the 18 as you can spot it from afar. To me whats important is a reliable service with a decent frequency.

View attachment 110771

38417-19 have also been registered as LC71 ETL/O/R for the 75, should've already arrived at Caledonia depot by now
Why do these have London area registrations rather the Scottish S?