• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 2 is becoming a bit of joke to be honest. My bus in the morning has only ran its full route twice in my last 6 working days. It's been cut at Scotstoun 3 times and not ran once.

I think the 2 could go every 15 mins but it would need to be all double decker. We really need major changes including to route lengths to actually give some buses a chance at being on time. My 3 back from work was cut at Thornwood because it was meant to have left Drumchapel already. The route is far too long.

Routes need to be 1 hour 20 mins max in Glasgow IMO.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mb3

The 2 is becoming a bit of joke to be honest. My bus in the morning has only ran its full route twice in my last 6 working days. It's been cut at Scotstoun 3 times and not ran once.

I think the 2 could go every 15 mins but it would need to be all double decker. We really need major changes including to route lengths to actually give some buses a chance at being on time. My 3 back from work was cut at Thornwood because it was meant to have left Drumchapel already. The route is far too long.

Routes need to be 1 hour 20 mins max in Glasgow IMO.
Aye the 3 could be do with being split, like the way it was pre simplicity. Have the 3 terminate in town somewhere, and then reintroduce the old 23 to have the south side part covered. Would save delays a lot. Would mean the north-south passengers would need to change buses but I think in times like these, that’s a sacrifice that should be taken.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Aye the 3 could be do with being split, like the way it was pre simplicity. Have the 3 terminate in town somewhere, and then reintroduce the old 23 to have the south side part covered. Would save delays a lot. Would mean the north-south passengers would need to change buses but I think in times like these, that’s a sacrifice that should be taken.
Too much is made of having to change buses to be honest. It isn't always ideal but more people do it than some tend to think. In a city like Glasgow having so many buses that cross the city is a major part of the problem especially with how bus stops are positioned in the city centre. Buses still trip over each other constantly and get held up as a result of this. The 3 is a great example of it due to the route towards Govan.

PaulMc7

Established Member
What will catch people out is routes like the 240 and 255 where the network single will be charged which can be well over 6 quid
Network singles are a major rip off when you compare the journey lengths to some of the journeys you can make within the city zone. They need a price decrease across the board though especially if they want to keep people while the driver shortage is still an issue

route101

Established Member
Network singles are a major rip off when you compare the journey lengths to some of the journeys you can make within the city zone. They need a price decrease across the board though especially if they want to keep people while the driver shortage is still an issue
Better to buy local or network all day. I rarely buy singles now.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Better to buy local or network all day. I rarely buy singles now.
I'm exactly the same. I use the direct debit ticket on my phone. It's clearly very well hidden mind you. I see loads of people with weekly and 4 weekly tickets when the direct debit works out so much better value

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The price of single journeys is largely driven by the concessionary reimbursement rate, as the operator receives a percentage of the adult single fare for the distance travelled per concessionary pass use.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The price of single journeys is largely driven by the concessionary reimbursement rate, as the operator receives a percentage of the adult single fare for the distance travelled per concessionary pass use.
It is but you also need to be realistic in the current climate and not price people out of using the bus. Focusing on what makes money, actually addressing service levels so there aren't loads of cancellations each day, a price drop to attract more people to the bus and actually putting effort into the app and customer service should have been the obvious combination to do but instead we have none of that.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
It is but you also need to be realistic in the current climate and not price people out of using the bus. Focusing on what makes money, actually addressing service levels so there aren't loads of cancellations each day, a price drop to attract more people to the bus and actually putting effort into the app and customer service should have been the obvious combination to do but instead we have none of that.
Single tickets are ideal for the irregular user of a bus. Regular users should be aware (or made aware of) the various multi-journey options available. If you're making a trip to town and back, the chances are you'll be cheaper with a £4.90 DayTicket (rather than 2x £2.65 singles). The FirstWeek ticket gives unlimited travel for £18.10/week, which is £2.59 per day (cheaper than the most common single fare within the city boundary) but I do appreciate not everyone uses the bus 7 days a week.

It's all very well saying you need to be "realistic" in the current climate, but when patronage levels are still below pre-pandemic and now that government funding is scaling back, I don't think the idea of reducing fares will go down too well at the commercial department!!

(the other points you made are perfectly valid, imo)

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Single tickets are ideal for the irregular user of a bus. Regular users should be aware (or made aware of) the various multi-journey options available. If you're making a trip to town and back, the chances are you'll be cheaper with a £4.90 DayTicket (rather than 2x £2.65 singles). The FirstWeek ticket gives unlimited travel for £18.10/week, which is £2.59 per day (heaper than the most common single fare within the city boundary) but I do appreciate not everyone uses the bus 7 days a week.

It's all very well saying you need to be "realistic" in the current climate, but when patronage levels are still below pre-pandemic and now that government funding is scaling back, I don't think the idea of reducing fares will go down too well at the commercial department!!

(the other points you made are perfectly valid, imo)
You won't get things back to pre-pandemic levels with the current prices. It is possible with a combination of everything I've mentioned especially with all of the train issues at the moment. That can be capitalised on plus with the cost of everything else flying up, First actually bucking the trend would be seen as a very good thing especially with the driver shortage as bad as it is. People are not getting what they are paying for at the moment

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
I switched to the direct debit ticket last month as I was using a student ticket , as I am at college despite being 30 , but now the adult direct debit is cheaper than the student 4 weekly

Are there gaffers out driving as my driver on the 9A is very well dressed in a perfectly pressed suit with shirt and tie and it's not the usual first uniform tie.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I switched to the direct debit ticket last month as I was using a student ticket , as I am at college despite being 30 , but now the adult direct debit is cheaper than the student 4 weekly

Are there gaffers out driving as my driver on the 9A is very well dressed in a perfectly pressed suit with shirt and tie and it's not the usual first uniform tie.
I noticed a new uniform; purple polo shirts. Not uncommon to see inspectors out.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
I noticed a new uniform; purple polo shirts. Not uncommon to see inspectors out.
This guy Is in a royal blue suit pressed white shirt and dark navy almost purple tie. He is presented perfectly , could be be a 500 driver as i think they have seperate uniform.

route101

Established Member
This guy Is in a royal blue suit pressed white shirt and dark navy almost purple tie. He is presented perfectly , could be be a 500 driver as i think they have seperate uniform.
Some drivers, usually the older ones will wear a suit and perhaps a tie.

stevenedin

Established Member
Cancellations registered

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD, 100 CATHCART ROAD, GLASGOW, G42 7BH
Operating between Blantyre or East Kilbride, Elphinstone Crescent and Hairmyres Hospital given service number M1 effective from 16 July 2022.

Operating between Torr Farm, Hamilton and Hairmyres Hospital given service number 205 effective from 16 July 2022.

Operating between Bellshill, Motherwell Road and Strathclyde Business Park given service number 299 effective from 16 July 2022.

Operating between Silvertonhill, Aitken Road and Coatshill given service number 230 effective from 16 July 2022.

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD, 100 CATHCART ROAD, GLASGOW, G42 7BH
Operating between Maryhill Garrioch Road and Knightswood or Scotstoun given service number 94 effective from 16 July 2022.

Last edited:

Stan Drews

Established Member
Cancellations registered

Operating between Blantyre or East Kilbride, Elphinstone Crescent and Hairmyres Hospital given service number M1 effective from 16 July 2022.

Operating between Torr Farm, Hamilton and Hairmyres Hospital given service number 205 effective from 16 July 2022.

Operating between Bellshill, Motherwell Road and Strathclyde Business Park given service number 299 effective from 16 July 2022.

Operating between Silvertonhill, Aitken Road and Coatshill given service number 230 effective from 16 July 2022.

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD, 100 CATHCART ROAD, GLASGOW, G42 7BH
Operating between Maryhill Garrioch Road and Knightswood or Scotstoun given service number 94 effective from 16 July 2022.
They’re all SPT tendered services which are due for renewal, and they’ve presumably not retained any of them.

route101

Established Member
Noticed the 205 has the bigger E200s on the service vs the solos last few days. Need to try and get a ride on one, only type of bus in First Glasgow fleet I have not been on.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if late July-early August seen us get more timetable reductions because I don't think the savings from losing tenders will be enough with how many cancellations still happen on a daily basis. Communication from the depots needs to improve significantly mind you. You only need to look at South and Central Scotland and how we are now getting lists of cancellations each day.

Every depot needs to do that considering it's basic customer service

Stef434

To be clear, I don't want them to cut *any* service, but at the moment they're damaging their most profitable services. If they only have a certain number of drivers, it makes sense to use them where they're making money. But only First know which routes/journeys make money, so I could be completely wrong in the routes to cut/reduce...
Talking about cutting services, the 81 from Duntocher can be busy. The problem is competition from Avondale, who also run a 10/ 15 mins service. I don't think it would be wise to give up services to your competitors.
First historically will keep services where there are competitors, loss making or not. Internally it's called a political route and this is solely intended to keep a rival, no matter how big or small, in their sights and tie up operator discs so the rival does not expand, hence why the 266 struts off to Shotts. The new honcho at First did a tour of depots and saw most not were not making peak. It was then she said stuff tenders, back to core First services driven by First drivers not prioritising tenders or contracts. The 1, 2, 38, 18, 240 and 201 are some of the most money spinners, although I can't recall the full top ten that will be protected at all costs.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
First, historically will keep services where there are competitors, loss making or not, internally called a political route, this is solely intended to keep a rival no matter how big or small in their sights and tie up operator discs so the rival does not expand ,hence why the 266 struts off to Shotts. The new honcho at First done a tour of depots and saw most not making peak ,it was then she said stuff tenders,back to core First services driven by First drivers not prioritising tenders or contracts.The 1.2.38,18,240,201 are some of the most money spinners cant recall the full top ten that will be protected at all costs.
Thank you for the insight. Out of those 6 services the 1s seem to be the only one without journeys missing a lot on a daily basis. The 2 and 38s in particlar from experience have been terrible lately

Stef434

Thank you for the insight. Out of those 6 services the 1s seem to be the only one without journeys missing a lot on a daily basis. The 2 and 38s in particlar from experience have been terrible lately
dont quote me on the exact routes, these ones were quoted around 3 months ago as i say there were around ten routes that make hard cash 7 from FG1 and 3 from FG2

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
The 41 and 60 must be some where in the top 20 , as both routes are decker 99% of the time and always bloody busy

PaulMc7

Established Member
dont quote me on the exact routes, these ones were quoted around 3 months ago as i say there were around ten routes that make hard cash 7 from FG1 and 3 from FG2
If I was to hazard a guess based on what I see I'd say this could be the list.

1s, 2, 3, 7/7A, 9/9A 61, 75

18, 266, 267

ScotRail158725

Established Member
If I was to hazard a guess based on what I see I'd say this could be the list.

1s, 2, 3, 7/7A, 9/9A 61, 75

18, 266, 267
1s, 2, 3, 7/A, 9/A, 38, 75

18, 240, 267

the FG1 routes are easier to guess by what routes have just got new buses with route branding

PaulMc7

Established Member
1s, 2, 3, 7/A, 9/A, 38, 75

18, 240, 267

the FG1 routes are easier to guess by what routes have just got new buses with route branding
The 38s have been very unreliable so I wonder how much that will continue. The 240 was a close one for top 3 for me to be honest