• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
It's coming up to a 2 plus hour gap on the 9A. The last bus departed Penilee at 1415, and nothing has come back since (it's currently 16:10). According to tracking the next bus is not due to arrive from town for at least 35 mins (arrives Penilee 16:50).
So could be a near 3 hour gap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Does anyone know when the last 2 into town departs Faifley at tonight please?.
Having to make an unplanned journey over that way later due to a bereavement and as its not a service I generally catch that often I am unfamiliar with the timetable. If I'm heading that way I usually catch Citybus service 17 but I need something which runs a bit later. It's been a while but iirc the last 2 into town from Faifley is/was around 11ish but I don't know if that's still the case with the service reductions. I tried looking on the First Glasgow website for timetable information but it isn't showing for some reason.

Thanks in advance.
A simple check on the First Website says 2335. Howevet since its Friday there is a 2400. Which will be a Night bus, with Night fares. Be aware they don't always run.

sannox

A simple check on the First Website says 2335. Howevet since its Friday there is a 2400. Which will be a Night bus, with Night fares. Be aware they don't always run.
Surely the midnight one is a regular bus. The night buses only run from Glasgow out.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
There are no Nightbuses towards the City Centre they all run empty from Faifley to the City Centre

route101

Established Member
There are no Nightbuses towards the City Centre they all run empty from Faifley to the City Centre
Yes, they used to run the other way but was stopped few years back.

Since the 60 change to half hourly most services or those that actually turn up seem to be Caledonia operated. Occasionally even an e400. Or a mixture of 38 or 75 branded.

However if they don't turn up passengers are going to go elsewhere.

Looked at the First journey planner the other day for a Journey from Clydebank to the City. It even recommended an Avondale to Hardgate and a Citybus to Central Station.

Have they just admitted defeat with the 60.
I think the 60 has been solely operated by Caledonia (Ex Parkhead side) for good while now.

Last edited:
Anyone know how long the remaining 53/54 plate Volvo B7 Geminis around Glasgow are expected to continue in service for?
Noted a few in service this evening during a brief visit to the city, but hoping to get back to ride some before they finish.

route101

Established Member
Anyone know how long the remaining 53/54 plate Volvo B7 Geminis around Glasgow are expected to continue in service for?
Noted a few in service this evening during a brief visit to the city, but hoping to get back to ride some before they finish.
I reckon a year, another new order will push them out.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
All will be gone by the end of the year

Joerf21

Can anyone explain why First Glasgow has given First Essex 7 Dennis Enviro 400 MMC when they have so many older deckers to displace? It seems very strange to me.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
There were three or four double deckers that had the X3 gold branding.

Have these been route debranded but retaining the gold branding, or are these different vehicles?

I have not seen the X3 branded vehicles for a good while as it seems to be the debranded 500 vehicles (four in total) that make a regular appearance, plus some route branded 38 or 75 or a non branded vehicle.

Bus Lightyear

The age profile of First Glasgow's fleet compares quite favourably to most First operating companies so I don't see what harm there is in sending a small number of E400s to First Midland Bluebird and First Essex. The remaining Volvo B7tls should be gone by the end of this year.

Volvodart

Established Member
There were three or four double deckers that had the X3 gold branding.

Have these been route debranded but retaining the gold branding, or are these different vehicles?

I have not seen the X3 branded vehicles for a good while as it seems to be the debranded 500 vehicles (four in total) that make a regular appearance, plus some route branded 38 or 75 or a non branded vehicle.

2 went to Essex and 1 to Cymru.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Can anyone explain why First Glasgow has given First Essex 7 Dennis Enviro 400 MMC when they have so many older deckers to displace? It seems very strange to me.
Because First is a UK wide company and if one opco needs Euro 6 buses for a contract and one has those spare then they’re going to move them

duffers2324

Seeing as what's going on at the moment with drivers and recruitment in general as well as the economics of running a bus company at the moment, I have had a think about how when buses are missing IE Lack of drivers etc,

For Example i went to catch the 1140 75 from Milton to City Centre last Saturday which ended up not turning up, now it would likely enough be that there is no driver for this service but this has got me thinking because that service has not turned up the one behind at 1152 would be busier as the people who have awaited the 1140 and also for the 1152 will use that bus,

So basically this means that instead of possibly 2 buses and both being half full, it is now 1 bus that is pretty busy all or most of the way through, Now this may seem like a dumb thought but do you think that this is why it makes some sense of the more "frequent" services getting reduced, not just purely by the driver situation but in the bus companies eyes that most services are going to be full and also does it make sense in a way as i say to have 1 bus run instead of the 2 therefore the 1 bus that is running then is more likely to have its costs covered than 2 buses which are both half full and neither here nor there with covering their cost.

I get that if frequencies are reduced too far it puts people off but do you possibly think that First or any other company that's has reduced their timetable at the moment thinking it might become a bit more permanent seeing as it looks like most companies are having to cut their cloth accordingly.

I'm not advocating for frequency reductions in anyway but i do hope this has come across well enough about the thought behind why some firms may want to make these frequencies a bit more long term perhaps.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Does anyone know the range on the new Volvo BZLs and if they are more than the E400EVs? I wonder if they’d be a possible option for Glasgow for the longer range routes such as the 2?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Seeing as what's going on at the moment with drivers and recruitment in general as well as the economics of running a bus company at the moment, I have had a think about how when buses are missing IE Lack of drivers etc,

For Example i went to catch the 1140 75 from Milton to City Centre last Saturday which ended up not turning up, now it would likely enough be that there is no driver for this service but this has got me thinking because that service has not turned up the one behind at 1152 would be busier as the people who have awaited the 1140 and also for the 1152 will use that bus,

So basically this means that instead of possibly 2 buses and both being half full, it is now 1 bus that is pretty busy all or most of the way through, Now this may seem like a dumb thought but do you think that this is why it makes some sense of the more "frequent" services getting reduced, not just purely by the driver situation but in the bus companies eyes that most services are going to be full and also does it make sense in a way as i say to have 1 bus run instead of the 2 therefore the 1 bus that is running then is more likely to have its costs covered than 2 buses which are both half full and neither here nor there with covering their cost.

I get that if frequencies are reduced too far it puts people off but do you possibly think that First or any other company that's has reduced their timetable at the moment thinking it might become a bit more permanent seeing as it looks like most companies are having to cut their cloth accordingly.

I'm not advocating for frequency reductions in anyway but i do hope this has come across well enough about the thought behind why some firms may want to make these frequencies a bit more long term perhaps.
Your point is very well made and I fully agree with it to be honest. The increase to the 2 in the morning peak from Faifley towards Glasgow is one I don't think will last at all and it's what I use for work. With a double decker some mornings you could honestly cover the 7:30 and 7:40 bus comfortably and the 7:40 is one that more and more only runs to Scotstoun as there is no driver to change over to and sometimes doesn't even run at all. There are definitely some routes that would need a mix of singles and doubles to work with bigger reductions than the level they are currently at but I feel like a good few would work with it. This would hopefully limit if not completely get rid of the need for cancellations outside of really last minute issues.

First's main issue is that it seems to be the same services getting badly hit due to a lack of drivers. The 38s, 57s and 60s always seem to be an issue for example

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Does anyone know the range on the new Volvo BZLs and if they are more than the E400EVs? I wonder if they’d be a possible option for Glasgow for the longer range routes such as the 2?
The 2 is getting yutongs so that’s the problem solved

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The 2 is getting yutongs so that’s the problem solved
I know that, but from a deckers point of view they don’t have a very high range. I wonder if there’s a plan to try something different like they have done with the singles (ie Yutong vs E200EV).

I know that, but from a deckers point of view they don’t have a very high range. I wonder if there’s a plan to try something different like they have done with the singles (ie Yutong vs E200EV).
Don’t count on it.

A premature purchase on 200EVs in Glasgow was a folly, even on flat routes like the 9/9A they're being pulled early in the evenings with 10% battery, however, I can’t comment on the 400EV.

If you compare a spec sheet that never tells the true story of an EV.

The Yutong E12 has a 422KWH pack however a Wright Electroliner single decker can have a 567KWH pack with a claimed 250-300miles, approx what the Yutong is achieving, perhaps a little more range on the Elecroliner.

A Volvo BZL Single or double decker chassis can have up to a 470KWH pack, so likely somewhere between 220 & 300miles for a BZL chassis.

How the electricity management works in electric vehicles I’ve no idea, I’d be venturing a guess that even with identical battery packs there are other factors like a possible electric AC unit or whether it’s fitted with a Heat Pump or infrared heating which uses more energy verses a heat pump.

Then there's external temperatures as, the colder is it the worse the range gets. This is simply also a factor because more climate systems are likely used.

For drivability it would do them a favour for their drivers to invest in Volvo BZL.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Don’t count on it.

A premature purchase on 200EVs in Glasgow was a folly, even on flat routes like the 9/9A they're being pulled early in the evenings with 10% battery, however, I can’t comment on the 400EV.

If you compare a spec sheet that never tells the true story of an EV.

The Yutong E12 has a 422KWH pack however a Wright Electroliner single decker can have a 567KWH pack with a claimed 250-300miles, approx what the Yutong is achieving, perhaps a little more range on the Elecroliner.

A Volvo BZL Single or double decker chassis can have up to a 470KWH pack, so likely somewhere between 220 & 300miles for a BZL chassis.

How the electricity management works in electric vehicles I’ve no idea, I’d be venturing a guess that even with identical battery packs there are other factors like a possible electric AC unit or whether it’s fitted with a Heat Pump or infrared heating which uses more energy verses a heat pump.

Then there's external temperatures as, the colder is it the worse the range gets. This is simply also a factor because more climate systems are likely used.

For drivability it would do them a favour for their drivers to invest in Volvo BZL.
The fact is that the electrics are appearing more and more on the 46. May quash the hilly vs flat question as the 46 has to be one of the hilliest routes in the city.

The fact is that the electrics are appearing more and more on the 46. May quash the hilly vs flat question as the 46 has to be one of the hilliest routes in the city.
A rule of thumb should have always been..

if it can complete a full 6am till 11pm bus board, including dead journeys to and from the route starting point it’s a winner, however, political pressure and the company thinking it gains them excellent publicity, are just feeble substitutes for there ineptitude.

The late 46s are now operated by JMB I’m sure, so bus board for the day time ones with First have been reduced in length.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
if it can complete a full 6am till 11pm bus board, including dead journeys to and from the route starting point it’s a winner, however, political pressure and the company thinking it gains them excellent publicity, are just feeble substitutes for there ineptitude.
The BYDs most certainly can't, hence why they get replaced by diesels on the evening boards. In contrast Yutongs can do that and return to the depot with plenty of charge still left, one recently was on 95% of charge having driven 24 miles and was showing a potential range of 310 miles, quite impressive stuff really.
I'd argue that the hill vs flat argument these days is obsolete. What people tend to forget is that electric buses have regenerative braking so yes they may use more energy when going up a hill vs along a flat road, however when they go back down the hill they can recapture that energy, so it to some extent equals out.

route101

Established Member
There was a mention of the 2 and 3 getting Yutongs, not seen a source. I thought having less buses but double deckers would make more sense.