• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

computerSaysNo

Established Member
How many vehicles and staff are based at Caledonia? Just to see if it's comparable to e.g. Lothian Buses' Central Garage which, as far as I can see from an outside perspective, doesn't seem to have issues regarding its size.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotRail158725

Established Member
How many vehicles and staff are based at Caledonia? Just to see if it's comparable to e.g. Lothian Buses' Central Garage which, as far as I can see from an outside perspective, doesn't seem to have issues regarding its size.
Caledonia houses about 350 odd buses, a lot more than any of Lothians depots

Thank you for the insight. I'm a great believer in management working effectively if they take the time to communicate with staff significantly and learn every process they have a gap in but as you say that's where the major problem is.

I've never been a fan of Caledonia housing so many buses and routes either to be honest. I get why they did it but it always seemed a dangerous route to go down for causing disorganisation and we've been right on that clearly.

The whole spreadover shift pattern has never made much sense to me to be honest. It'll never be the best job for a work-life balance but I do feel that there's ways to properly roster shifts and be able to cover the routes they run although if it was me there would have been cuts already to fit driver availability and not what First seem to be trying by setting a level of service to achieve instead of putting out timetables they know they can run.

I'm guessing everywhere is now getting app cancellation feature testing? 18s, 201s and 266s showing it now too.
First Glasgow and many other have been robbing people of a life, the difference that a 9hr shift verses a 12.5hr one with a 2-3hr break make a massive difference over the course a weeks work, not including commuting times and being stuck on congested roads between 6-9am.

The operation has near ran its course with putting services before employees well-being I’m afraid, COVID or specifically the furlough scheme was the final nail in the coffin.

Realising you could do less hours and be happier with more time for yourself whilst sat at home on furlough.

I’ve recently moved and now do 6am till 3pm everyday, every thurs & sun off, I get alittle less pay but importantly I spend around 15hrs at least not at work, my take home is £380pw, that’s after taxes and pension deductions, however, I could get around £50pw more working for First but considering my commuting costs are £10-15 now between weekly pay checks instead of spending £50pw traveling to Caledonia or my next closest being Larbert or Blantyre, it doesn’t stack up, it is one reason in the long run that First giving up on Cumbernauld was a mistake.

At first Glasgow all shifts need to be no longer that 10Hrs for a start.

Legally you can only drive 9hrs per day or increase that to 10hrs three days per week, even then if your driving time is for 10hrs you can be guaranteed it’s an 11hr shift.

Limit the driving time to 8 hours, for example that would be the equivalent of 4 Glasgow-Kilsyth-Glasgow journeys on an 89.

It’s the fact the overall day in a 12-13hr shift is sitting around doing sod all for hours upon hours over the course of the weeks work.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
First Glasgow and many other have been robbing people of a life, the difference that a 9hr shift verses a 12.5hr one with a 2-3hr break make a massive difference over the course a weeks work.

The operation has near ran its course with putting services before employees well-being I’m afraid, COVID or specifically the furlough scheme was the final nail in the coffin.

Realising you could do less hours and be happier with more time for yourself whilst sat at home on furlough.

I’ve recently moved and now do 6am till 3pm everyday, every thurs & sun off, I get alittle less pay but importantly I’ve got around 15hrs at least more time for me now every week, my take home is £380pw.

At first Glasgow all shifts need to be no longer that 10Hrs for a start.

Legally you can only drive 9hrs per day or increase that to 10hrs three days per week, even then if your driving time is for 10hrs you can be guaranteed it’s an 11hr shift.

Limit the driving time to 8 hours, for example that would be the equivalent of 4 Glasgow-Kilsyth-Glasgow journeys on an 89.

It’s the fact the overall day in a 12-13hr shift is sitting around doing sod all for hours upon hours over the course of the weeks work.
I agree that 8-9 driving time a day with 2 days off a week would probably be the best way to go. It could easily be sorted out to cover the extremely early buses and the likes of the 2 and 6 where the last journey gets to a terminus around 1am. The 6 especially must be a painful one to do the last journey to Calderwood as it gets there at 1am if it's on time and then the driver still needs to get back to Scotstoun.

Busman84

The length of a lot of shifts are a disgrace even the early/lates over the years have got gradually worse. Take an early shift 10/15 years ago that would start just after 4am would see you finish anytime between midday and 12.45. Now the same shift wouldn’t see you finished closer to 13.40-14.00.. Same goes with the latest late duties which finish between 1am and 1.30 not many of these start after 16.00 now. Go back all these years ago plenty of duties would start well after 17.00 in all the city depots.

Back when mealbreaks got paid the duties were even shorter but that’s a long time ago

The length of a lot of shifts are a disgrace even the early/lates over the years have got gradually worse. Take an early shift 10/15 years ago that would start just after 4am would see you finish anytime between midday and 12.45. Now the same shift wouldn’t see you finished closer to 13.40-14.00.. Same goes with the latest late duties which finish between 1am and 1.30 not many of these start after 16.00 now. Go back all these years ago plenty of duties would start well after 17.00 in all the city depots.

Back when mealbreaks got paid the duties were even shorter but that’s a long time ago
Condensing work loads on to the least staff as possible overall cheapens the wage bill, privatisation at its best..

Cesarcollie

Condensing work loads on to the least staff as possible overall cheapens the wage bill, privatisation at its best..

With latest rules on holiday pay and other changes to NI etc, to be honest employing fewer staff isn’t much cheaper. Of course, if you can’t get staff, then inevitably you’ll need to persuade what staff you have to work more hours.

PaulMc7

Established Member
With latest rules on holiday pay and other changes to NI etc, to be honest employing fewer staff isn’t much cheaper. Of course, if you can’t get staff, then inevitably you’ll need to persuade what staff you have to work more hours.
With the double pay overtime rate factored in too it would possibly be closer than most people think between the current setup and having shorter shifts with far more staff. I'm just impressed we've not had service cuts yet to cover the costs of the overtime.

Back to cancellation feature news and it seems 4 out of the 5 depots have it now with Dumbarton seeming to be the only one that doesn't yet. As expected nowhere near all cancellations showing out of Caledonia depot but Blantyre seems to be decent enough along with Overtown. Scotstoun seem allergic to use it at the weekend which is a real shame. I hope a time comes where all 5 have it and manage to use it to cover all cancellations.

The numbers of them may look awful on some days but planning could be easier for passengers if they're all showing.

Last edited:

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
There has been another First Glasgow bus fire today, meaning it's the 3rd bus fire since April. What's going on to cause this?

Last edited by a moderator:

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
nothings going on? fires like this happen.
Are you seriously shrugging a fire off as something that just "happens" to a bus that's not even 7 years old?

Not to start speculation, but poor/shortcut maintenance would not surprise me as part of the problem, especially given what others have said about First Glasgow.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Are you seriously shrugging a fire off as something that just "happens" to a bus that's not even 7 years old?

Not to start speculation, but poor/shortcut maintenance would not surprise me as part of the problem, especially given what others have said about First Glasgow.
I second this. I'm sure we will find out what the cause was and I hope the driver is okay but my mind immediately went to poor maintenance and going by what I've seen online about it as well as on here we weren't the only ones.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Glasgow have lost a good few buses to fires recently. Unfortunately it’s been mainly newer buses.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Yes, yes i am.
Look at Lothian; they lost an Enviro 400 XLB to a mechanical fire at just a year old and a 6 year B7RLE, also to a mechanical fire just months before. Not to mention there have been Envrio 400 MMCs on fire down south too.
The finger of poor maintenance by First Glasgow can’t be pointed until something's been proven.

DunsBus

Established Member
Yes, yes i am
Look at Lothian, they lost an Enviro 400 XLB to a mechanical fire at just a year old, a 6 year B7RLE also to a mechanical fire just months before. Not to mention theres been Envrio 400 MMCs on fire down south so….

the finger of poor maintenance by First Glasgow can’t be pointed until somethings been proven
Agreed. Any bus, regardless of age, can catch fire.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Yes, yes i am
Look at Lothian, they lost an Enviro 400 XLB to a mechanical fire at just a year old, a 6 year B7RLE also to a mechanical fire just months before. Not to mention theres been Envrio 400 MMCs on fire down south so….
Agreed. Any bus, regardless of age, can catch fire.
Granted, breakdowns happen given the mileage buses do. It's to be expected. On the other hand, fires don't just "happen". They should be thoroughly investigated; something will have sparked to cause it to combust (be it electrical failure, arson, etc).

Shrugging fires off as something that just "happens" is quite ridiculous really, and I'm really surprised some of the good-quality, regular posters in this thread think that way. Would you say the same if it was your house or car that combusted?

DunsBus

Established Member
Granted, breakdowns happen given the mileage buses do. It's to be expected. On the other hand, fires don't just "happen". They should be thoroughly investigated; something will have sparked to cause it to combust (be it electrical failure, arson, etc).

Shrugging fires off as something that just "happens" is quite ridiculous really, and I'm really surprised some of the good-quality, regular posters in this thread think that way. Would you say the same if it was your house or car that combusted?
But they do happen, regards of age. I know of a Lothian Dennis Dart SPD and a Borders Buses Optare Metrocity which were both written off by fire when just a few months old, in both cases the fires were as the result of an electrical fault. That is something which no maintenance check can ever pick up on.

Sadly, the comments about fires involving First vehicles being down to alleged bad maintenance is something which has become all too common.

Electrical Fires will depend on where it originated from.

I have seen buses constantly with engine lights on, ABS lights and even not long ago the Strathclyde Buses Liveried B7 decker which was burnt out had a known electrical fault; someone moved it and left the isolation switch on, hence the fire. It didn’t have a vehicle off road (VOR) sticker or wheel cover on it either.

If the electrical fire was something to do with the bodywork wiring and not the chassis even then buses have several control units for various things. If electrical problems are detected, even something stupid like interior lights flickering, it should be investigated. I can imagine many of these circumstances will be through neglect.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
There has been another First Glasgow bus fire today, meaning it's the 3rd bus fire since April. What's going on to cause this?
Correction it's 4 buses since April - I forgot about the one that went up in the depot.

I can't edit my original comment for some reason.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
There was talk a while back of 34368 being repaired. Does anyone know if that’s still the case?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Any changes planned across the network for October yet?

As expected too, I asked the Twitter if there's a timescale for the cancellation feature being fully up and running and the answer was that there isn't one. I hope it's not too long.

Last edited:

Joerf21

Does anybody know if by taking the deckers off the one d and c, they have created a problem with overcrowding on the single deck one buses?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Does anybody know if by taking the deckers off the one d and c, they have created a problem with overcrowding on the single deck one buses?
The 1C and 1D are unique in the sense that their passenger numbers stay high for a lot more of the day and yes it's absolutely lead to major overcrowding a lot of time

Joerf21

Yes I thought so. Every time I have been traveling I notice the discomfort of very busy buses. Ithink the ones should be re-routed via Second Avenue, with an extended 81 from Duntocher to Dalmuir West via Dumbarton Road.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Yes I thought so. Every time I have been traveling I notice the discomfort of very busy buses. Ithink the ones should be re-routed via Second Avenue, with an extended 81 from Duntocher to Dalmuir West via Dumbarton Road.
And add to the running time? the Point of the one is that its a fast express route and thats the point of the variants of it to serve the alternatives

PaulMc7

Established Member
It'll be interesting to see if First increase frequencies on any service and cut others to compensate because all of a sudden the likes of the 2 and 3 have gotten significantly busier. Obviously the schools going back and more people returning to the office has added to this but even double deckers on the route are now ending up with no seats free at all.

Out of the registrations that were put on VOSA for the 29th, did any of them actually involve any changes at all? I find it weird that the journey planner is struggling if there are no changes.

Last edited: