• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

computerSaysNo

Established Member
That is because they are incredibly slow and their processing power is useless.
Is this an issue only with First machines? From their website they have a lot of different customers, and surely if everyone was experiencing slow machines it would impact sales (and so they would upgrade the included processor)?

*New post*
Do First or any of the other Glasgow Operators run any peak-only routes from North or South Lanarkshire into Glasgow?
I'll be travelling to Glasgow during the peak on a weekday in a few weeks' time and want to see if I can use any routes that don't operate all day.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Is this an issue only with First machines? From their website they have a lot of different customers, and surely if everyone was experiencing slow machines it would impact sales (and so they would upgrade the included processor)?

*New post*
Do First or any of the other Glasgow Operators run any peak-only routes from North or South Lanarkshire into Glasgow?
I'll be travelling to Glasgow during the peak on a weekday in a few weeks' time and want to see if I can use any routes that don't operate all day.
Only one I can think of is the 38C to Cumbernauld.

Not First but there is 3C coach to Strathaven.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
What does it normally get, an E400MMC?
To be honest I'm trying my best to avoid those, based on my experience of the Stagecoach and ex-First Midland ones!
It can be a mix of E400MMC and E400EVs although there have been a few B9TLs on the route the last few days.

PaulMc7

Established Member
That is because they are incredibly slow and their processing power is useless.

Funnily enough, LRT have done this for donkeys years.
It's always been First's I've found to be really slow. Everyone else's are far quicker.

The Lanarkshire changes are now on First's website:

The following services will operate revised timetables.

ServiceDetail of changeView timetable (from 26th February onwards)
18Revised timetable, Monday - Friday daytime frequency increased to every 12 minutes. Additional evening journeys operating on Monday - Saturday.Click to view timetable
241Revised timetable, Sunday only.Click to view timetable
254Revised timetable, Sunday only.Click to view timetable
267Revised timetable, Monday - Friday daytime frequency increased to every 12 minutes.Click to view timetable
X11Revised timetable, Monday - SaturdayClick to view timetable
These changes will allow us to offer a more consistent service across the city for our customers. Designed to release driver resource, to allow us to help improve reliability and performance, we are continuing our aggressive recruitment efforts to overcome the significant driver shortages we are experiencing.

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
It's always been First's I've found to be really slow. Everyone else's are far quicker.

The Lanarkshire changes are now on First's website:

Are there any movements to be able to deal with this?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Is the 18 operated by Blantyre/Overtown nowadays?

I can remember Possilpark operating the 18 when it ran to Springburn via Maryhill Road and Bilsland Drive before Overground. When Overground came in, the northern section was switched to running to Summerston via Byres Road, replacing that section (I think) of the 57.

When Possilpark closed in 2000, I am unsure if it went to Larkfield or Parkhead. I do recall the 61 when having arrived Summerston would change to the 54 to Penilee via Saracen Cross, Central Station, and Paisley Road West.

Also, was the 18 a Glasgow Corporation/Strathclyde Buses route, or was that a former KCB route? The only former KCB route in East Kilbride that I am aware of is the 201 that runs to Petersburn.

Transco

I can remember Possilpark operating the 18 when it ran to Springburn via Maryhill Road and Bilsland Drive before Overground. When Overground came in, the northern section was switched to running to Summerston via Byres Road, replacing that section (I think) of the 57.

When Possilpark closed in 2000, I am unsure if it went to Larkfield or Parkhead. I do recall the 61 when having arrived Summerston would change to the 54 to Penilee via Saracen Cross, Central Station, and Paisley Road West.

Also, was the 18 a Glasgow Corporation/Strathclyde Buses route, or was that a former KCB route? The only former KCB route in East Kilbride that I am aware of is the 201 that runs to Petersburn.
As far as I am aware the 18 is operated by Blantyre with Caledonia operating some peak time journeys.

PaulMc7

Established Member
As far as I am aware the 18 is operated by Blantyre with Caledonia operating some peak time journeys.
I think the 21 is also like this with Caledonia covering peak journeys. There has been electric buses used on them recently from what I've noticed.

route101

Established Member

Blantyre, Overtown don't do the 18 but them two depots are closely linked. Caledonia do some peak runs.

Scotstoun ran the majority of the 18 at one point, I am sure there was a Parkhead peak from East Kilbride6 that was usually a SV.

There was a point when Scotstoun, Cumbernauld and Blantyre were operating the route. I don't think Scotstoun have any runs on the 18 anymore.

Don't think Glasgow Corporation ran to East Kilbride, would it have been Central SMT?

Busman84

Parkhead did the 18 from 2002 for about 2 years with driver changeover at Glasgow Cross. Scotstoun took it afterwards, although Parkhead still did some morning peaks on it for a few years.

38A-Z

Blantyre, Overtown don't do the 18 but them two depots are closely linked. Caledonia do some peak runs.

Scotstoun ran the majority of the 18 at one point, I am sure there was a Parkhead peak from East Kilbride6 that was usually a SV.

There was a point when Scotstoun, Cumbernauld and Blantyre were operating the route. I don't think Scotstoun have any runs on the 18 anymore.

Don't think Glasgow Corporation ran to East Kilbride, would it have been Central SMT?

The 18 was corporation too. I think in the early days, tram or trolley bus (Not fully sure of the facts there) the 18 terminated at Burnside. I know in the 80s, Glasgow Corporation ran the 18 to Greenhills. From the time I remember, it ran every 20 mins (Atlanteans) to Greenhills and Central SMT had services City to East Kilbride via Burnside every 10 mins. (70, 77 + 78).
The 18’s been around for years!

PaulMc7

Established Member
The other interesting thing is that prior to Covid, the 18 was one of the services that seen a frequency increase after Overground although I feel like the demise of the 16 was part of that. It had been every 15 mins as a result of Overground but was every 10 minutes prior to Covid. It'll be interesting to see how busy it is again with the every 12 minutes frequency.

Even if the driver shortage wasn't affecting First, there aren't many services I could see an increase being too viable for. I'd imagine the 2, 3, 61, 75 and 240 are the main ones I could see it working for going by when I've used them.

Last edited:

KrisEK

The 18 was corporation too. I think in the early days, tram or trolley bus (Not fully sure of the facts there) the 18 terminated at Burnside. I know in the 80s, Glasgow Corporation ran the 18 to Greenhills. From the time I remember, it ran every 20 mins (Atlanteans) to Greenhills and Central SMT had services City to East Kilbride via Burnside every 10 mins. (70, 77 + 78).
The 18’s been around for years!

Yes, the 18 was originally a Springburn-Glasgow Cross-Burnside tram route:
(Link is to the Glasgow Chronicles Facebook page showing a photo of trams at Burnside tram terminus)

Last edited by a moderator:

Albaman

The number 18 bus route replaced the number 18 tram route between Springburn and Burnside with effect from 3 June 1961.

The tram terminus was, latterly, in Dukes Road, Burnside and a building there still has a rosette which supported the overhead wires.

I presume the 18 bus route was extended to East Kilbride sometime after 1982 when the the restriction on Scottish Bus Group companies picking up passengers within the Glasgow city boundary was lifted.

EMU303

The number 18 bus route replaced the number 18 tram route between Springburn and Burnside with effect from 3 June 1961.

The tram terminus was, latterly, in Dukes Road, Burnside and a building there still has a rosette which supported the overhead wires.

I presume the 18 bus route was extended to East Kilbride sometime after 1982 when the the restriction on Scottish Bus Group companies picking up passengers within the Glasgow city boundary was lifted.
There was also an 18A which terminated at Shawfield for a few years when it was the corporation buses and I think for a while as GGPTE.

route101

Established Member
The other interesting thing is that prior to Covid, the 18 was one of the services that seen a frequency increase after Overground although I feel like the demise of the 16 was part of that. It had been every 15 mins as a result of Overground but was every 10 minutes prior to Covid. It'll be interesting to see how busy it is again with the every 12 minutes frequency.

Even if the driver shortage wasn't affecting First, there aren't many services I could see an increase being too viable for. I'd imagine the 2, 3, 61, 75 and 240 are the main ones I could see it working for going by when I've used them.
I remember for a short while in early 2011 or 2012 the 18 and 16 made the service very frequent. The 18 terminated in Buchanan Bus Station for a wee while too.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I remember for a short while in early 2011 or 2012 the 18 and 16 made the service very frequent. The 18 terminated in Buchanan Bus Station for a wee while too.
East Kilbride being such a car centric town really hasn't helped over the years. The 20 was incredibly frequent, the 31 lasted a lot longer than it had any right to and even the 66 was more frequent than the 6 now is.

I do think that if Covid and the driver shortage didn't happen, the 31 would still have been cut eventually. It was busy at peaks into East Kilbride but that was about it. The 21 used to be every 15 minutes into East Kilbride too but the likes of Gardenhall and Lindsayfield just became areas where most houses had more than one car from what I seen.

The town centre has declined massively over the years too unfortunately to add to this.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
East Kilbride being such a car centric town really hasn't helped over the years. The 20 was incredibly frequent, the 31 lasted a lot longer than it had any right to and even the 66 was more frequent than the 6 now is.

I do think that if Covid and the driver shortage didn't happen, the 31 would still have been cut eventually. It was busy at peaks into East Kilbride but that was about it. The 21 used to be every 15 minutes into East Kilbride too but the likes of Gardenhall and Lindsayfield just became areas where most houses had more than one car from what I seen.

The town centre has declined massively over the years too unfortunately to add to this.
When the time comes to replace the low height E400s on the 6 - I imagine they’ll just go for singles. I can’t see new low height buses being ordered for the route. Prior to Covid the 6 was predominantly E300s and B7RLEs.

PaulMc7

Established Member
When the time comes to replace the low height E400s on the 6 - I imagine they’ll just go for singles. I can’t see new low height buses being ordered for the route. Prior to Covid the 6 was predominantly E300s and B7RLEs.
The E300s seem to pop up on absolutely everything now that Scotstoun operates other than the M11 and the M60. The 2, 3 and 77 seem to get them a lot but it's not a surprise to see one on the X4, 8 or 90 compared to before.

scosutsut

Are buses still designed to have a 15 year lifespan in regular service? If so, it will not be long before the 2009 vehicles are retired and/or scrapped.
Depends on the operator, although there does seem to be a definite trend across the big groups to try and sweat assets out closer to 20 years.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Deckers tend to get a longer life than singles. Singles tend to go at around the 16 year mark meanwhile the last of B7TLs from 2003-5 are still in service in some places.

PaulMc7

Established Member
When First are training drivers, do they immediately start learning specific routes or do they get trainees to drive around a range of areas instead? I genuinely cannot remember the last time I was in Rutherglen without seeing at least 1 training bus and today I seen 2 in 2 minutes there and then another on Argyle Street too.

In the current situation, it's good to see them out constantly though and I've noticed a lot of younger drivers too in training.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
The electric e400 are all lower height as I keep smashing my head in the ceiling

PaulMc7

Established Member
Are they still low enough for the Busby bridge though? I don’t think the E400EVs have the range for the 6.
I do wonder how long it'll take First to make an order of Alexander Dennis' new version of the E400EV to be honest. They're meant to have a range of 260 miles.