• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

lastbus

Wonder if they are coming from down south ADL rather than Falkirk as no reports of anything sitting there.

Sad to see the b10s end near.

In other news defo looks like the airport e200mmcs will be leaving the fleet and going to Wales. City 400s must be due soon if talk already in regards to them
Don’t know where they are being built only been told a date they will start being delivered.

Airport buses 100% going to wales.

By the sound of things most of the buses will be arriving soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Shame the e200mmcs are going to Wales , to be fair ive not seen too many with luggage on the 77 going to aiport. More darts , not sure if these wee buses will be for the long run .

route101

Established Member
Generally speaking Glasgows 2004 B7TLs are still pretty good and sturdy, studying the extent to which Wrights, ADL or Thorntons can refurbish a bus they could be like new again if first had the capital to do that before they went south as they are mingin to look at.

I do wonder if the 53, 54 and 07 plates will get refurbished though.

route101

Established Member
The who

The 38E sees good numbers in the morning but it’s not the busiest service. The old 213 was the same. It’s great for people going to the Royal Infirmary from Baillieston way or the City Centre but the numbers fade at night. The 38B is fairly quiet through Springboig etc also. The 60 is very frequent and the 41 goes throughout Carntyne etc so single deckers could probably do this routes. They get busier on the other side and into the City Centre I believe but if the other variations are running behind more frequent with E400MMCs that’ll pick up the load.

I’m not sure of the PVR of the 38 but I imagine it’s high. Does anyone know the PVR of the 60? The reminder of E400MMCs may be going there?

The Edinburgh road is a neglected corridor for buses , same with London road past Bridgeton. Enough singles on the 60 and 41 as it is , they share same buses !

Volvodart

Established Member
By the sound of things most of the buses will be arriving soon.

If they get the new buses before April, the BSOG uplift that First buses in Scotland get will continue to be at the current rate for 5 years. It is being halved in April.

route101

Established Member
If the full of the 38 is to be covered by E400MMCs then I think we’ll see quite a considerable change in the fleet. The 38 has a number of variations so it’ll release a lot of Gemini’s and tridents. It should allow a good number of ex-London tridents to be withdrawn and also Gemini’s to be refurbished. I don’t think the full of the 38 needs deckers they could probably run the 38B and 38E variations as E200MMCs.

Will be interesting to see what it does to the Tridents , the E400mmcs at Caley didnt shift them . But theres less at Blantyre i think . For operational reasons i think all the variations of the 38 should be deckers , it would be busy in the core from Giffnock to the Parade .

route101

Established Member
The 60 and 60A combined, he metioned only the 60 which is every 20 minutes and 20 minutes is hardly frequent, especially when the 60 was the 40 it was as frequent as every 8-9 minutes.

The simplicity changes were crafty , have like a 60A to Milngavie , you assume its a frequent service as its a 60 number . Same with 38 variations .

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
60 might be looking at refurbished buses like the 61 then!

I think it would make sense for more B9TLs to be refurbished for the 60/60A then both the 60, 61 and 41 will have refurbished Gemini’s instead of just one route getting new buses.

Gingerbus1991

Shame the e200mmcs are going to Wales , to be fair ive not seen too many with luggage on the 77 going to aiport. More darts , not sure if these wee buses will be for the long run .
Not 100% that the 77 has ever really been marketed as such even when it was the 747, its never had a special livery for doin so, the big consensus in glasgow is if going to the airport you get a lift off a friend or get a taxi.

Last edited:

Gingerbus1991

I do wonder if the 53, 54 and 07 plates will get refurbished though.
The 06 and 07 plates certainly should be, because of there age the 2003/2004 models will be left to some other poor subsidiary who doesn't have any LEZ impingements on them.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Not 100% that the 77 has ever really been marketed as such even when it was the 747, its never had a special livery for doin so, the big consensus in glasgow is if going to the airport you get a lift off a friend or get a taxi.

The 77 was originally the 757 and was operated by airport branded B7RLEs. Then they changed it to the 747 and it started to see B7TLs which ran at a less frequency than the 77. Most deckers were full especially around the hospital. Then when the new QEUH opened in 2015 they changed to a higher frequency and had 63 plate E300s operating it in hospital connect livery. I think the 77 is great for getting to the QEUH but the airport not so much. It could probably terminate there I’d say. The E300s are good for the route but some are slightly worn inside now and could be doing with a little tidy up. The hospital connect branding is also out of date as it still displays “South Glasgow University Hospital” which was the original name before the Queen officially opened it and changed the name to the QEUH. I’ve noticed a lot of E300s have lost the branding now and are operating outwith the 77 now. I wonder if there are any plans to get new coloured branding for it.

Gingerbus1991

Funnily enough the length of time to get to the airport from say Partick isn't especially a long journey, even from the bus station its only an hour, the 500 must be murder at peak times due the slow M8.

CM

The 77 was originally the 757 and was operated by airport branded B7RLEs. Then they changed it to the 747 and it started to see B7TLs which ran at a less frequency than the 77. Most deckers were full especially around the hospital. Then when the new QEUH opened in 2015 they changed to a higher frequency and had 63 plate E300s operating it in hospital connect livery. I think the 77 is great for getting to the QEUH but the airport not so much. It could probably terminate there I’d say. The E300s are good for the route but some are slightly worn inside now and could be doing with a little tidy up. The hospital connect branding is also out of date as it still displays “South Glasgow University Hospital” which was the original name before the Queen officially opened it and changed the name to the QEUH. I’ve noticed a lot of E300s have lost the branding now and are operating outwith the 77 now. I wonder if there are any plans to get new coloured branding for it.

The 77 was actually the "Braehead Bullet" originally which operated using the then new B7RLEs at the time. It was then replaced by the 747 using branded B7RLEs and then ultimately became the 77. The 757 operated via the SECC and Glasgow Harbour to the Airport.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
747/757 map from 2008. Each service was half hourly at this point and for some stupid reason the 747/757 left Buchanan and the Airport together.

upload_2019-2-3_17-27-31.png

the big consensus in glasgow is if going to the airport you get a lift off a friend or get a taxi.

Same in Aberdeen, despite that the 727 is a very popular and highly successful route, much like the 500...

CM

747/757 map from 2008. Each service was half hourly at this point and for some stupid reason the 747/757 left Buchanan and the Airport together.

View attachment 58694

Same in Aberdeen, despite that the 727 is a very popular and highly successful route, much like the 500...

The 747/757 leaving Glasgow at the same time would have made zero difference over the rest of the route. And IIRC the 757 didn't last very long before being pulled.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The 747/757 leaving Glasgow at the same time would have made zero difference over the rest of the route. And IIRC the 757 didn't last very long before being pulled.

Perhaps, however many tourists would want to go to/from the bus station, so it would have been better to split them creating a 15 minute frequency.

Stef434

View attachment 58694

Maybe First Schedulers were combing certain routes to offer a combined hedway on a particular corridor hence why two services departed a certain terminal or PTP at the same time ..I believe this happens in certain OPCOs what we see on paper does not necessarily reflect further up the route. Generally protecting the hedway.

Stef434

In most places "Every 20 Minutes" is regarded as a high frequency and/or core service, however typically it's the limit with anything less frequent not being a core service.[/QUOTE]
Every operator will offer a Frequent service BUT in todays terms on a non combined hedway...
5-10 minutes or better SUPER
10-15 minutes or better HIGH
15-20 minute or better CORE
This begs the multi dollar question ..how does this relate to the fifteen minute rule...,,

CM

Perhaps, however many tourists would want to go to/from the bus station, so it would have been better to split them creating a 15 minute frequency.

A 15 minute frequency would make no difference, the routes were completley different and no doubt had different journey times to/from the Airport so the only place you'd have a 15 minute frequency was within the Bus Station itself.

Stef434

My guess would be Motherwell town centre so they can launch both the 242 and 254 at the same time saving £££s
I fancied the broadway with excellent backdrop.but Motherwell will be ideal any word op the branding heard Pinkish for the 242 and orange for the 254

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Every operator will offer a Frequent service BUT in todays terms on a non combined hedway...
This begs the multi dollar question ..how does this relate to the fifteen minute rule...,,

Generally the rule is that Every 20 Minutes or better is a high frequency/core route.

Common sense would dictate that the 60/60A/61 should be branded together with the same vehicles advertising the 5 minute frequency.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
A 15 minute frequency would make no difference, the routes were completley different and no doubt had different journey times to/from the Airport so the only place you'd have a 15 minute frequency was within the Bus Station itself.

That was sort of my point! Many tourists would get on at the bus station and Airport where the 15 minute frequency would be beneficial.

CM

In most places "Every 20 Minutes" is regarded as a high frequency and/or core service, however typically it's the limit with anything less frequent not being a core service.
This begs the multi dollar question ..how does this relate to the fifteen minute rule...,,[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on peoples own opinions, personally standing in the pissing rain and cold for 20 minutes waiting for a bus isn't very appealing, even more so when the bus you are waiting on decides not to appear and you have another 20 minute wait. The 60 is rife with this and if it's the only service that you can use to get where you are going then you're basically stuffed. I'd never class a 20 minute frequency as "high frequency" because quite simply, it isn't.

lastbus

I fancied the broadway with excellent backdrop.but Motherwell will be ideal any word op the branding heard Pinkish for the 242 and orange for the 254
242 will be pink if you go with the adverts on the buses. I have no idea about the 254 not seen or heard anything in terms of branding but buses are due to start arriving tomorrow.