• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Stef434

Generally the rule is that Every 20 Minutes or better is a high frequency/core route.

Common sense would dictate that the 60/60A/61 should be branded together with the same vehicles advertising the 5 minute frequency.
you do this could from city centre to top of Maryhill road,,like saying 240/255 from tollcross to BBS but not from anywhere else.
First operate services that are InterLinked on a corridor to offer a Super hedway but cant advertise this as this a five minute frequency without the small star and small print.
Hence why the changes to the definition of a high frequency service and the fifteen minute rule

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stef434

242 will be pink if you go with the adverts on the buses. I have no idea about the 254 not seen or heard anything in terms of branding but buses are due to start arriving tomorrow.
I shall be at motherwell on Tuesday to welcome them tally ho

Stef434

Every operator will offer a Frequent service BUT in todays terms on a non combined hedway...
5-10 minutes or better SUPER
10-15 minutes or better HIGH
15-20 minute or better CORE
This begs the multi dollar question ..how does this relate to the fifteen minute rule...,,

I guess it depends on peoples own opinions, personally standing in the pissing rain and cold for 20 minutes waiting for a bus isn't very appealing, even more so when the bus you are waiting on decides not to appear and you have another 20 minute wait. The 60 is rife with this and if it's the only service that you can use to get where you are going then you're basically stuffed. I'd never class a 20 minute frequency as "high frequency" because quite simply, it isn't.[/QUOTE]
in terms of scheduled adherence and compliance which I was reffering to
A 15 minute frequency would make no difference, the routes were completley different and no doubt had different journey times to/from the Airport so the only place you'd have a 15 minute frequency was within the Bus Station itself.
Doesn't matter if only one mile/yard was the same/different from the departure times it may well be related to other services on the same corridor

route101

Established Member
The 77 was actually the "Braehead Bullet" originally which operated using the then new B7RLEs at the time. It was then replaced by the 747 using branded B7RLEs and then ultimately became the 77. The 757 operated via the SECC and Glasgow Harbour to the Airport.

Braehead Bullet , late 2006 that was launched Partick to Braehead only . Didnt the 747 only go as far Partick for a time , then extended to City Centre .

The 77 is one of the few routes that were developed recently .
The 757 had branded eclipses . There was a fairline solo service before that

lastbus

please ..will the B7s go before the B10s the fumes the fumes
B10s will be away when the new buses arrive only a few b7s at Overtown now seen a few darts on the 266 recently a sign of things to come? Although have heard darts will move to dumbarton for the locals and to get some of their B10s retired. 66282 is to be preserved.

route101

Established Member
Personally a 20 minute frequency is OK if its reliable.

I use the 31 a lot and has a 30 min freq and 60 at night , generally i find it more reliable than the 6 , which is every 12 i think . In the past i have been let down by no shows.
Though i do get a ensure i get into town a bus early to avoid being late , where i stay alternatives are walking 25 mins to train station or 20 mins to 6 stop .
Can be a pain at night when hourly when connecting off a train from down south or Edinburgh .
ALways thought that at night they could try by request on the 31 on the 2220 and 2320 services from the city , that anyone wanting to go beyond carmunnock can do so by request and it runs set down only . Ive seen this on a few rural routes .

Stef434

B10s will be away when the new buses arrive only a few b7s at Overtown now seen a few darts on the 266 recently a sign of things to come? Although have heard darts will move to dumbarton for the locals and to get some of their B10s retired. 66282 is to be preserved.
is 66281 also being preserved
Are Overtown getting the 14 reg streetlights to replace to B7s for the Overtown scheduled 266s as I understand Overtown were to have a decent fleet upgrade

route101

Established Member
Generally the rule is that Every 20 Minutes or better is a high frequency/core route.

Common sense would dictate that the 60/60A/61 should be branded together with the same vehicles advertising the 5 minute frequency.
For me its every 12 at the bare min. Some routes in Glasgow went up to every 10 and down to every 12 , 6 i think .
Some of the every 20 mins routes went to every half hour like 263/255/90/

SarahDFIG

Are Overtown getting the 14 reg streetlights to replace to B7s for the Overtown scheduled 266s as I understand Overtown were to have a decent fleet upgrade
Overtown due more streetlights from caley supposedly and both ex hutchy b10s are to be restored from what I heard.

Gingerbus1991

Going back to the 60/60A route, I assume the Maryhill Rd to Clydebank section isn't all that busy for a 20 minute section, the 60A to Milngavie as well can't be all the busy..

But the Easterhouse to the city centre section must be particularly busy?

lastbus

66281 is currently being used as a trainer and it’s all went quiet on the streetlite front I believe these are still being used on the 34 as there is not enough new buses for the PVR.

route101

Established Member
The 77 was originally the 757 and was operated by airport branded B7RLEs. Then they changed it to the 747 and it started to see B7TLs which ran at a less frequency than the 77. Most deckers were full especially around the hospital. Then when the new QEUH opened in 2015 they changed to a higher frequency and had 63 plate E300s operating it in hospital connect livery. I think the 77 is great for getting to the QEUH but the airport not so much. It could probably terminate there I’d say. The E300s are good for the route but some are slightly worn inside now and could be doing with a little tidy up. The hospital connect branding is also out of date as it still displays “South Glasgow University Hospital” which was the original name before the Queen officially opened it and changed the name to the QEUH. I’ve noticed a lot of E300s have lost the branding now and are operating outwith the 77 now. I wonder if there are any plans to get new coloured branding for it.

Dont think many use it to Airport , sometimes see a few at Partick or Hospital going to airport . Theres a couple of pinch points , Partick is bad with traffic and the hospital at peak times .

Stef434

Overtown due more streetlights from caley supposedly and both ex hutchy b10s are to be restored from what I heard.
thank you .the
14 reg streetlight are pretty good in comparison to what is there now .one must consider the depreciation value issues ..
However the B10s except hutchy will do another OPCO a good turn due to the depreciation issues ..so in fairness grab them with both hands

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
66281 is currently being used as a trainer and it’s all went quiet on the streetlite front I believe these are still being used on the 34 as there is not enough new buses for the PVR.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to have the pink branded E200MMCs that have been circulating on the 2, on the 34? If they’re short?

route101

Established Member

Yep streetlites still on 7 , 34 and some sunday 31s

The 65 had an Eclipse , do e200mmcs for this route run on a sunday?

route101

Established Member
Going back to the 60/60A route, I assume the Maryhill Rd to Clydebank section isn't all that busy for a 20 minute section, the 60A to Milngavie as well can't be all the busy..

But the Easterhouse to the city centre section must be particularly busy?
I think it would make sense for more B9TLs to be refurbished for the 60/60A then both the 60, 61 and 41 will have refurbished Gemini’s instead of just one route getting new buses.

Youve got to wonder how many B9TLs there is when they are used on routes like 57, 4 and 5 ! You dont to take them off these routes

route101

Established Member
Not 100% that the 77 has ever really been marketed as such even when it was the 747, its never had a special livery for doin so, the big consensus in glasgow is if going to the airport you get a lift off a friend or get a taxi.

Yeah , Glasgow airport is poor with local bus links . Think Edinburgh is bit smaller and closer so the skylinks work.

Stef434

Use the same pool of buses for sure
IF they do or don't inter network the complication will kick in in terms of …
the headway on a certain corridor
what other services operate there
what is the frequency towards another corridor ...….never underlooked
what is the financial footfall
will it impact another service footfall
is there another OP there .....is there a bingo hall there is there a shopping mall ,,college ..the times ....etc etc etc
there is quite a lot of implications and scenarios taken into consideration believe me

Gingerbus1991

Youve got to wonder how many B9TLs there is when they are used on routes like 57, 4 and 5 ! You dont to take them off these routes
If you include the 2006 and 2007 B7TLs with the 2007/08 and 09 B9TLs glasgow roughly 120-ish of these, the number becomes phenomenal when you put the 2003/2004 B7's into the equation.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

It is a point for discussion. I assume the B7TLs will used by Glasgow up until 2021/2022 just before LEZ is introduced. By that time they will be about 16/17 years old. There aren’t enough B9TLs to be refurbished and put on the 60/61 and 41. As you say the 57, 4 and 5 need covered too. But then who knows new buses in next years order may replace buses on the 4 and 5 or other routes which will push more B7TLs down south like some already have been. It’s seems silly refurbishing B7TLs if they aren’t to remain in the fleet for much longer.

smtglasgow

Got to wonder which Glasgow routes can justify brand new buses and which will have to make do with conversions to Euro6. The 1, 2 and 3 must be candidates for new stock – but that would be about 80 or 90 buses alone. Maybe the 88 and 89 for new deckers – don’t see them that often, but they seem busy. The 4 (44) used to always get the best stock, but it seems much quieter than it used to be and can end up with any old tat – especially the peak extras. But that leaves routes like the 9 or 57 with high PVRs needing new stock. It’s a hell of a job for First. Even the most unloved routes like the 21, 31 and 263 will need *something* that meets the LEZ.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Got to wonder which Glasgow routes can justify brand new buses and which will have to make do with conversions to Euro6. The 1, 2 and 3 must be candidates for new stock – but that would be about 80 or 90 buses alone. Maybe the 88 and 89 for new deckers – don’t see them that often, but they seem busy. The 4 (44) used to always get the best stock, but it seems much quieter than it used to be and can end up with any old tat – especially the peak extras. But that leaves routes like the 9 or 57 with high PVRs needing new stock. It’s a hell of a job for First. Even the most unloved routes like the 21, 31 and 263 will need *something* that meets the LEZ.

I can't see the 1 getting any new buses just yet, it would probably be better to fully refurbish the E300s to a similar standard as the Geminis.