• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Service 4, 6, 10 are still very busy.

Always think the 10 has been giving a downgrade , now every 15 mins and oldest buses .

The 2 is busy and well used and suffers lack of deckers .

6 is important cross city route and links may important places .

Gingerbus1991

Of course the "1" I keep forgetting the 10 been scaled right back.
Honestly wouldnt have placed the 10.
Always think the 10 has been giving a downgrade , now every 15 mins and oldest buses .

The 2 is busy and well used and suffers lack of deckers .

6 is important cross city route and links may important places .
Does any of these routes suffer from low bridges, I thought that was the issue beyond clydebank on the 1s?

alangla

Honestly wouldnt have placed the 10.

Does any of these routes suffer from low bridges, I thought that was the issue beyond clydebank on the 1s?
The 6 at Busby. It’s always needed low height deckers. The 2 goes under a low bridge at Kirkwood station, but that only affects the Airdrie/Maxim Park runs

lastbus

Changes for November are for the 64,65,240,241,255 and 266 would imagine the 64 and 65 will no longer interwork.

KMS1992

As someone who regularly uses the buses in the Southside, I would love the 9 to get some decent stock for a change. I have stood more times on that bus than sat.

Stef434

You could easily get 4 buggies on them, but ideally the spaces were only designed to facility 1 buggy each. With the nearside space fitted with a backrest to house a wheelchair.
bear in mind first bus have local agreements in terms of buggies FIG1 FIG2L fig2D

Jordan Adam

Established Member
sorry mate jumbled post ......there is local agreements concerning city drivers i.e one buggy and non city drivers i.e 2 buggies if any city drivers online stand to correct me

That may be the case, but my original point was that one space is designed to take one buggy (even if more can fit), the layout on these E400s have 2 spaces designed to either take two buggies or a wheelchair and a buggy (Again even if more buggies could fit).

Stef434

Speed Awareness Policy will it work

le
That may be the case, but my original point was that one space is designed to take one buggy (even if more can fit), the layout on these E400s have 2 spaces designed to either take two buggies or a wheelchair and a buggy (Again even if more buggies could fit).
I agree bud in this day and age we are uplifting more buggies than chairs in my opinion

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I agree bud in this day and age we are uplifting more buggies than chairs in my opinion

That's true, as far as i'm aware there's no actual "legal" limit to the number of buggies carried provided they don't block the main gangway, where as with wheelchairs pretty much all service buses in the UK can only legally carry one.

Although i go back to my original point that each space is only intended for 1 buggy, even though in most cases you can fit two.

Stef434

That's true, as far as i'm aware there's no actual "legal" limit to the number of buggies carried provided they don't block the main gangway, where as with wheelchairs pretty much all service buses in the UK can only legally carry one.

Although i go back to my original point that each space is only intended for 1 buggy, even though in most cases you can fit two.
I agree there is no legal limit

Gingerbus1991

As far as ADL will tell you after I asked on twitter, there is no limit to the number of chairs that could be carried on a bus provided they have there own, safe, designated area, but most operators specify more seating over chair space.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
As far as ADL will tell you after I asked on twitter, there is no limit to the number of chairs that could be carried on a bus provided they have there own, safe, designated area, but most operators specify more seating over chair space.

By Chairs are you meaning wheelchairs or pushchairs? If it's Wheelchairs then there is a limit.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Wonder why the ALX400s aren’t being repainted into the new livery. Don’t get me wrong they look incredibly smart, however it seems odd that buses of that age are getting the new livery. Unless they don’t plan to keep them for any length of time and they might perhaps go elsewhere...

I also wish they’d stop with the Simplicity branding now. Most buses have the odd blue sign here and there but many have already started to lose bits and pieces of it. They’d be best just focusing on their own front branded buses than the blue Simplicity. It takes the look away from the buses.

Gingerbus1991

Wonder why the ALX400s aren’t being repainted into the new livery. Don’t get me wrong they look incredibly smart, however it seems odd that buses of that age are getting the new livery. Unless they don’t plan to keep them for any length of time and they might perhaps go elsewhere...

I also wish they’d stop with the Simplicity branding now. Most buses have the odd blue sign here and there but many have already started to lose bits and pieces of it. They’d be best just focusing on their own front branded buses than the blue Simplicity. It takes the look away from the buses.
The ALX400 and Presidents should have been scrapped with the introduction of the new vehicles introduced.

Theres nothing wrong with a "simple" livery, that looks good and fulfills the companys image, I really dont understand the Simplicity or colour coded branding, surely a company should be able to stand out on its own if its fares were low, its buses were on time, clean and of course the drivers had a better attitude.

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The ALX400 and Presidents should have been scrapped with the introduction of the new vehicles introduced.

Theres nothing wrong with a "simple" livery, that looks good and fulfills the companys image, I really dont understand the Simplicity or colour coded branding, surely a company should be able to stand out on its own if its fares were low, its buses were on time, clean and of course the drivers had a better attitude.

I think the ALX400s are good machines but they’re dated looking inside and out in my opinion. Times have moved on. They’re noisy onboard too. It doesn’t make it any better that they’re still working very heavy routes like the 60/60A.

I personally prefer the branding as it gives the buses a bit more life. It also jazzes up some of the routes. But it’s all about the interior for me. The B7RLEs look great on the outside with the pink 9/9A branding but tired on the inside. I personally think the B7RLEs are amongst the best single decks FiG have ever had - it would be nice to see them receive the same treatment the B9TLs received.

Gingerbus1991

I think the ALX400s are good machines but they’re dated looking inside and out in my opinion. Times have moved on. They’re noisy onboard too. It doesn’t make it any better that they’re still working very heavy routes like the 60/60A.

I personally prefer the branding as it gives the buses a bit more life. It also jazzes up some of the routes. But it’s all about the interior for me. The B7RLEs look great on the outside with the pink 9/9A branding but tired on the inside. I personally think the B7RLEs are amongst the best single decks FiG have ever had - it would be nice to see them receive the same treatment the B9TLs received.
Believe it or not the ALX400s could look great again with some TLC and a couple of thousand £ spent on them for a decent refurb job.

The 9/9A buses are shambolic when you consider there up against McGills 38, anywhere they have competition particularly on a high frequincy route like this really should be new vehicles

smtglasgow

The 9/9A branding was a missed opportunity. The first branded buses in Glasgow should have been a ‘wow’ moment, but instead it was the same shabby buses with a new paint job. McGills obviously put a lot of effort into their 38 – including the new Citaros – so First really should be trying a bit harder. Never sure who is actually winning on Paisley Rd – they both run every 5 mins into Glasgow now. First are very busy at the Glasgow end, but McGills get most of the business to Paisley.

overthewater

Established Member
Both are crap on Paisley road, the best was always dicksons. There just gunned it along the road.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
With the introduction of new buses within the next year or so, it would be nice to see the 9/9A become fully E300 and E400 operated. The 11/61 plate E400s should be divided between the X8, 9/9A and the 77 in my opinion.

It would also be nice to see some new stock on the 6. The current buses are now 7 years old and I think perhaps would be better elsewhere. This keeps the 6 up to date for such a busy route.

Arriva Fan

The 9/9A branding was a missed opportunity. The first branded buses in Glasgow should have been a ‘wow’ moment, but instead it was the same shabby buses with a new paint job. McGills obviously put a lot of effort into their 38 – including the new Citaros – so First really should be trying a bit harder. Never sure who is actually winning on Paisley Rd – they both run every 5 mins into Glasgow now. First are very busy at the Glasgow end, but McGills get most of the business to Paisley.

McGill's only have five Euro 6 Citaros on the 38. Most of the others are the same as age First Bus B7RLEs, and they're mainly used on the 17. The majority of McGill's 38 allocation are still Volvo B7RLE Wright Eclipses, majority of them second hand from either Arriva or independents.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
McGill's only have five Euro 6 Citaros on the 38. Most of the others are the same as age First Bus B7RLEs, and they're mainly used on the 17. The majority of McGill's 38 allocation are still Volvo B7RLE Wright Eclipses, majority of them second hand from either Arriva or independents.

The McGills 38 is usually operated by 11 plate B7RLEs which were brand new and the 57 plate variants from Arriva with a smattering of 06 plate ones and also the new Citaros.

Believe it or not, the Arriva B7RLEs are in better nick than the First ones seeing as McGills refurbished them.

route101

Established Member
With the introduction of new buses within the next year or so, it would be nice to see the 9/9A become fully E300 and E400 operated. The 11/61 plate E400s should be divided between the X8, 9/9A and the 77 in my opinion.

It would also be nice to see some new stock on the 6. The current buses are now 7 years old and I think perhaps would be better elsewhere. This keeps the 6 up to date for such a busy route.

Doubt the 6 is getting anything newer , would need to be low height to .

The e400s are intended for the 6 and should all be on the route but does not seem to be the case , e300s and Eclipses probably make off half of the 6 .

Normal deckers should run on the x8 , 9 and 77 . Only really the 9 rarely has deckers .

route101

Established Member

Guy i know has the McGills 38 and First 9 running past his house and uses McGills over First , McGills seem really frequent and buses look in better nick . If McGills ordered deckers this route would be ideal .

route101

Established Member
Heres a question .

Today the 1755 31 to East Kilbride didnt appear until 1815 , the next bus up to EK was pulling into Osborne St was pulling in . As the bus was an elclipse it had come empty from Caley . Surprised they run the service up to EK so close to the service that would be 10 to 15 mins behind . You would think that they would want everyone on the 1825 and save a bus journey . Not that im complaining . The late 1755 must not have a return working back from EK then.

Gingerbus1991

Guy i know has the McGills 38 and First 9 running past his house and uses McGills over First , McGills seem really frequent and buses look in better nick . If McGills ordered deckers this route would be ideal .
The biggest point I’m trying to make concerns first not punching enough on the 9/9A with newer, nicer vehicles.