• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
67106 has been repainted in preparation for transfer to Cymru.

58378185_10157448147008013_2750722164184317952_n.jpg

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
A new Cardiff Airport (if it's from Swansea and Bridgend, for instance) service would make some sense. Perhaps something that Cardiff Airport are supporting? Mind you, that base colour isn't the house colours of the Airport (but perhaps that's assigning to much significance to that).

The current Cardiff to Cardiff Airport service is the T9 which is a TrawsCymru service operated by NAT and, as such, is in TC colours of white and green. Unless it is ceasing to be a TC service, that paint job would suggest otherwise.

I don't think that the 32 seat capacity would be anywhere near what the X10 would need, and the X2 is fairly popular too.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
The Gold E400H has been used by Reading Buses in the past. I see that Glasgow had to hastily bolted in a vault to the floor.

Strange thing is that it was built in 2013 but only registered in 2016...Quite strange to see a 16 plated E400 that isn't an MMC.

lastbus

The Gold E400H has been used by Reading Buses in the past. I see that Glasgow had to hastily bolted in a vault to the floor.

Strange thing is that it was built in 2013 but only registered in 2016...Quite strange to see a 16 plated E400 that isn't an MMC.
It’s an ex demonstrator and is only on loan to first from ADL to cover for buses away getting warranty repairs.

CM

Anyone know what the old buses are away for??

As stated, some of the NEW(not old) Enviro 400s will be away for waranty work so to cover, ADL have loaned an ex-Demonstrator to First Glasgow.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
67106 has been repainted in preparation for transfer to Cymru.

58378185_10157448147008013_2750722164184317952_n.jpg

I saw this today on passing but never put 2 and 2 together! I’m quite sad these buses are going as they’ve only been here a while but best that they’re getting put to good use elsewhere where more suitable. Plus the new E400City’s are great buses.

There’s a trident painted in the same all over colour blue. Does anyone know where this is off to?

As stated, some of the NEW(not old) Enviro 400s will be away for waranty work so to cover, ADL have loaned an ex-Demonstrator to First Glasgow.
IK IK, just wanted to know anyone could elaborate on warranty repakrs

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I’m quite sad these buses are going as they’ve only been here a while but best that they’re getting put to good use elsewhere where more suitable.

Indeed - that's the way with First. Pressure on available capital means that only certain fleets (often tied in with other funding or partnership agreements) will get new fleet. Glasgow is getting new fleet for its LEZ - looks like Leicester will have to do with retrofitted Streetlites (from Worcester) and Eclipses (from Wells/Bristol)!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I've received further confirmation today that preserved Aberdeen B10BLE 62151 will see service in Glasgow before being repainted, and she will be one of the last B10BLEs in service with First Glasgow. This probably means more new buses are coming soon.

lastbus

I've received further confirmation today that preserved Aberdeen B10BLE 62151 will see service in Glasgow before being repainted, and she will be one of the last B10BLEs in service with First Glasgow. This probably means more new buses are coming soon.
Buses coming from wales in exchange for the ex-airport e200s. Possible these could go to Dumbarton to replace B10s.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
The ex-airport buses are away somewhere they can be used without removing luggage racks.

How hard would it be for Glasgow to use their bonce and send them off to get the luggage racks taken out and upseated? Commercial decision or not, it's utter nonsense that buses that are not even 3 years old are being swapped for buses that are almost 17 years.

SPT and/or the Councils in and around Glasgow should be really be cracking down on the amount of buses on the road that are over a certain age...

lastbus

How hard would it be for Glasgow to use their bonce and send them off to get the luggage racks taken out and upseated? Commercial decision or not, it's utter nonsense that buses that are not even 3 years old are being swapped for buses that are almost 17 years.

SPT and/or the Councils in and around Glasgow should be really be cracking down on the amount of buses on the road that are over a certain age...
They are!

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Technically speaking the buses going south were replaced by the new Enviro400City's, the buses coming north while older buses will see off even older buses. It's pretty clear that they're just a stock gap to see off the older B10BLEs, on a temporary basis. It's much more logical to send those E200MMCs off to somewhere where they can be used in their current form rather than wasting money putting new seats in them and then buying new or refurbishing nearly new buses for the Airport route in Wales.

I'm pretty sure a 53 plate isn't 17 years old, nor are the B7RLEs!

Where exactly? North Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire are littered with buses that are well over 15 years old. Don't see them being forced off the road any time soon.

Well they are being replaced... And soon....

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

They are - have you not noticed 150 new vehicles arrive in the last few months; that’s what the LEZ is all about. If they are getting Darts (and it is IF), they will only be a stopgap. Doubtless, there are many more new vehicles for Glasgow in subsequent years to meet the LEZ conditions.

Meanwhile, First Cymru have to rely on these as they have had no new vehicles since 2015/6.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
No idea sorry. 61599 has been put back on fleet to replace the now scrapped 61597 though. Can’t imagine there is many more than 10 but.

I'd suspect 62151 will probably replace one of them, as i say 62151 will only be there a few weeks in May as it needs to be repainted and the interior done up by the start of July. 62151 is probably in much better condition mechanically and internally than most of the native B10BLEs, so it makes sense to replace a poorer bus with a slightly older but better condition bus on a short term basis.

They are - have you not noticed 150 new vehicles arrive in the last few months; that’s what the LEZ is all about. If they are getting Darts (and it is IF), they will only be a stopgap. Doubtless, there are many more new vehicles for Glasgow in subsequent years to meet the LEZ conditions.

Meanwhile, First Cymru have to rely on these as they have had no new vehicles since 2015/6.

They've only just ended phase 2 of the fleet investment, I have no doubt Phase 3 will probably be announced very soon. However people seem to be forgetting in the last 6 or so months Glasgow have received 150 new buses!

Likewise in the last 4 years Aberdeen have received 7 new buses! However that just comes down to fleet age and the level of investment in 2013/14.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I think what Glasgow needs is smaller singles like the E200MMCs which have been introduced on Lanarkshire local services for routes like the 8, 90, 46, 16. Routes which aren’t majorly busy the full route but still see good numbers. These routes see any random spare buses because that’s all they have. Given the 8, 90 and 16 go through the hospital it would be nice to upgrade them with something more economical rather than empty deckers. I also imagine more E200MMCs may be on the way to oust the remaining B10BLEs and B7Ls.

It would be nice to see some deckers introduced on the 2 after being deprived of them. The 4, 5 and 60 could be doing with some investment too not to mention the 19/19A. Most of the low height deckers have strayed off the 6 in recent months so it would be good if they could make up their mind what they intend to do with this route (ie making it single operated or not) instead of flooding it with tired B7RLEs.