• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
A few posts regarding the increasing of services has been moved to this thread.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brimfulofasha

Big Question is will people go to the shops? If not then why increase the bus service.

I was on the 0852 57A Balornock East to City Centre this morning and it was busy. Not with commuters, but with the elderly! Mostly alighting at St Rollox or Buchanan Street. I never counted but highly suspect we had over 18/19 passengers on board. Several elderly folk had to climb the stairs - presumably downstairs was full - and one sat diagonally behind me on a taped seat, and coughed the whole way. As a middle-aged male, I couldn't bring myself to challenge her. Probably should have moved.

lastbus

Could be a need for increases pretty soon since it's possible that we could be into Phase 2 next Friday. Going from the app today there seemed to be more buses running late or full so I don't think people will want it to take any longer than that
Increase will be from 21st of June although this is not 100% confirmed as it will be in line with government advice and on the basis that funding can be secured. Additional buses are already running on some routes although these are not on the timetables.

route101

Established Member
Could be a need for increases pretty soon since it's possible that we could be into Phase 2 next Friday. Going from the app today there seemed to be more buses running late or full so I don't think people will want it to take any longer than that

Hopefully, dont think First are keen though ! Hoping the 31 comes back up to EK, would make it a lot easier for jobs.

route101

Established Member
I was on the 0852 57A Balornock East to City Centre this morning and it was busy. Not with commuters, but with the elderly! Mostly alighting at St Rollox or Buchanan Street. I never counted but highly suspect we had over 18/19 passengers on board. Several elderly folk had to climb the stairs - presumably downstairs was full - and one sat diagonally behind me on a taped seat, and coughed the whole way. As a middle-aged male, I couldn't bring myself to challenge her. Probably should have moved.

One thing ive noticed its mostly elderly on the buses , even going just a few stops. People may always sit downstairs and wont consider going upstairs

I heard theres a few dupes on 75, 2 and 240.
Was on a couple of 2s earlier. Both had probably more than 20 passengers on each. So over the current capacity. No signs of a duplicate but one was a Gemini, which today is out of the ordinary. So perhaps it was a duplicate.

Passengers still ignoring the seat plan, using banned seats though and putting everybody in precarious positions. Very few face coverings being used too.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I been seeing a few Geminis dupe the 240. 31801 was on a 240 dupe Thursday lunchtime

The 18 has been getting steadily busier but I've not seen any of the desty screens say that the bus is full yet.

route101

Established Member
Was on a couple of 2s earlier. Both had probably more than 20 passengers on each. So over the current capacity. No signs of a duplicate but one was a Gemini, which today is out of the ordinary. So perhaps it was a duplicate.

Passengers still ignoring the seat plan, using banned seats though and putting everybody in precarious positions. Very few face coverings being used too.

Yeah , the freq ought to be going up soon. I seen some buses other day.

route101

Established Member
I been seeing a few Geminis dupe the 240. 31801 was on a 240 dupe Thursday lunchtime

The 18 has been getting steadily busier but I've not seen any of the desty screens say that the bus is full yet.

Had a E300 that was full other day.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Out of the services down my way the 6 seems to be the busiest which is a surprise given how dead it was at this end before the pandemic. Any time I've looked at the app midweek they tend to be full or very close to it. The 1s at peaks haven't actually been too full yet. I think of all the 1s I've seen on the app only one has been full. The 2 and 3 have been pretty mixed

route101

Established Member
Out of the services down my way the 6 seems to be the busiest which is a surprise given how dead it was at this end before the pandemic. Any time I've looked at the app midweek they tend to be full or very close to it. The 1s at peaks haven't actually been too full yet. I think of all the 1s I've seen on the app only one has been full. The 2 and 3 have been pretty mixed

Maybe the services arent coordinated and the 6 is picking up the slack. The 4 is hourly on the southside and 6 was a bit busy last time i used it. Need to think about increase.

1s have been deckers.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Maybe the services arent coordinated and the 6 is picking up the slack. The 4 is hourly on the southside and 6 was a bit busy last time i used it. Need to think about increase.

1s have been deckers.

Yeah, that's true. I think there will be a lot of bother and backlash when services are back to full levels with social distancing applied. As soon as City Centre offices etc open up again the 1s will fill up instantly and it'll cause a lot of problems. Will be interesting to see what happens with it

It will be interesting to see what impact the return to more or less a normal schedule on Scotrail services tomorrow morning will have on the 1. The half hourly bus might not hold up against a full train service with a lot more capacity.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It will be interesting to see what impact the return to more or less a normal schedule on Scotrail services tomorrow morning will have on the 1. The half hourly bus might not hold up against a full train service with a lot more capacity.

Doubt it'll do too much tbh as Yoker and Scotstoun are the busiest parts of the 1/1A route plus half of the trains through that line are via Queen Street from what I seen so if you need the bottom end of the city centre the 1 is still the best option. Train being the same frequency won't do a lot

route101

Established Member
Doubt it'll do too much tbh as Yoker and Scotstoun are the busiest parts of the 1/1A route plus half of the trains through that line are via Queen Street from what I seen so if you need the bottom end of the city centre the 1 is still the best option. Train being the same frequency won't do a lot

Seen quite a few complaining on Twitter about full buses and wondering when withdrawn routes. I worry with the withdrawn routes , people will have found another way and wont come back.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Im shocked stagecoach arent considering there size
Why?

This seriously riles me up. Passengers should be responsible for their own safety. If they think it's safer to wear a mask, wear one. If they think the bus is too full, don't travel. If they don't think it's safe to use public transport, don't.

Zakforbes4

Why?

This seriously riles me up. Passengers should be responsible for their own safety. If they think it's safer to wear a mask, wear one. If they think the bus is too full, don't travel. If they don't think it's safe to use public transport, don't.
Probably true but I think it's more so someone dosent try and sue the bus companies or something so they are just covering there arses more than anything.

CM

Why?

Unfortunately this day and age, nobody seems to want to take responsibility for their own actions and instead they always try and pin the blame on someone else.

This is a prime example - https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/...yMpIPLr3srXKBQ1tRrfZkElalxdxWmmHWwdsJ55cp8Zzc

Woman complains about the lack of social distancing on an operators service but gets on the bus anyway like a right diddy. It's like touching a hot iron and then moaning about being burned.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think the biggest problems are going to come as we get through the phases. Even running at full service levels is going to be impractical to manage because I don't see the number of people using some services dropping that much. The 1s were every 3/4 mins at peaks between Scotstoun and the city centre with the precovid timetable but most were practically full most days. The 38 is another example. Every 5 mins across the key sector of the route but extremely busy at peak. Can see a few headaches coming for a lot of people very soon

route101

Established Member
I think the biggest problems are going to come as we get through the phases. Even running at full service levels is going to be impractical to manage because I don't see the number of people using some services dropping that much. The 1s were every 3/4 mins at peaks between Scotstoun and the city centre with the precovid timetable but most were practically full most days. The 38 is another example. Every 5 mins across the key sector of the route but extremely busy at peak. Can see a few headaches coming for a lot of people very soon

It will come to the point that the social distancing will be scrapped on the buses

lastbus

The buses will not be returning to pre COVID service levels.

CM

The buses will not be returning to pre COVID service levels.

Source please? They can hardly continue running hourly/half hourly services as it'll get to the stage buses will constantly be rammed with people.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It's meant to be full service from phase 3 according to the lockdown exit plan but with social distancing still in place

lastbus

It's meant to be full service from phase 3 according to the lockdown exit plan but with social distancing still in place
That’s the government’s plan not the bus operators. Some routes won’t return at all. First Glasgow will not have the same amount of buses on the road that they had pre COVID.

PaulMc7

Established Member
That’s the government’s plan not the bus operators. Some routes won’t return at all. First Glasgow will not have the same amount of buses on the road that they had pre COVID.

How do you know this?