• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
Used 3 201s yesterday. Quite busy, so passengers picking up.
I've not been out but I've seen people saying buses are a lot busier now too. I've also looked at the app a bit over the last few days and there's certainly more full buses or close to it than a few weeks ago

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
I've not been out but I've seen people saying buses are a lot busier now too. I've also looked at the app a bit over the last few days and there's certainly more full buses or close to it than a few weeks ago
You've got loads of buses to chose from over your neck of the woods. All 3 201s were E300s.

PaulMc7

Established Member
You've got loads of buses to chose from over your neck of the woods. All 3 201s were E300s.
Having 3 frequent services definitely helps here. I do wonder when full capacity will be a thing again given that we are handling Covid pretty well currently. Hopefully it's not too far away in the distant future. Noticed some of the lower frequency services being closer to full again too.

kez19

Established Member
I am noticing on a few pics, that it seems on some services they have a sticker with a number? Is it to indicate the route frequency?

*credit to photographers - The One (double deck) sticker on left "5"

Service 34A - sticker on left "10"

just curious as I have never seen bus companies to display a sticker on the front of a bus to indicate a frequency!

route101

Established Member
I am noticing on a few pics, that it seems on some services they have a sticker with a number? Is it to indicate the route frequency?

just curious as I have never seen bus companies to display a sticker on the front of a bus to indicate a frequency!

First Glasgow have done that for a while. Usually up to to give the headline frequency. 34 I thought was every 12 mins at best.

kez19

Established Member
First Glasgow have done that for a while. Usually up to to give the headline frequency. 34 I thought was every 12 mins at best.

Is this up for certain routes? Or does First Glasgow do this for all routes?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
considering it sais “up to every 5 mins” and “every 10 mins” on said sticker...

Is this up for certain routes? Or does First Glasgow do this for all routes?
all branded routes

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

I have to say I’m not a fan of the plumb colour on the B9TLs. The E300s seem to carry it better but it’s way too dark and the Gemini design looks very dated now. The interior on these buses is very shabby too.

kez19

Established Member
considering it sais “up to every 5 mins” and “every 10 mins” on said sticker...

all branded routes

I'll guess the 10 mins is the in between is the 5 mins.

I have to say I’m not a fan of the plumb colour on the B9TLs. The E300s seem to carry it better but it’s way too dark and the Gemini design looks very dated now. The interior on these buses is very shabby too.

I'm surprised the branding has been put on the Gemini's, in my mind I was thinking the next ones up for this brand but guess not.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I think these are the only B9TLs that never had new seat covers.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I think these are the only B9TLs that never had new seat covers.
And arguably the most used B9TLs on the fleet especially during peak times on the 1 they can be jam packed.

It would have been nice to see some newer E400MMCs on the 1 to replace the B9TLs.

Hi, does anybody know where I can find a fleet list that is up to date?

Last edited by a moderator:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
It’ll be nice to see many more follow into the First Glasgow fleet.

This brings back memories of the B7TL demonstrator being brought in to showcase the Gemini design.

38A-Z

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Thanks for this. I’d never seen them before.

What’s happening to the E400 hybrids, the 10 low height ones that used to be (mostly) on the 6? Looks like they’ve not been about for a few months.
They're getting diesel conversions iirc, some may have already been done. 'I think' they're in storage at Scotstoun.
It’ll be nice to see many more follow into the First Glasgow fleet.

This brings back memories of the B7TL demonstrator being brought in to showcase the Gemini design.
It'll no doubt be on loan so they can test to see what routes they'll work best on. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of some E400EVs going on the 38 or 75 displacing E400MMCs to "longer" routes, although no doubt we'll see when the time comes.

FrankieB86

I can see them being introduced on routes such as the 5 and 61 with them being fairly short, but busy routes.

Volvodart

Established Member
If they need charging infrastructure en route, that might be a consideration where it can safely be done.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
It'll no doubt be on loan so they can test to see what routes they'll work best on. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of some E400EVs going on the 38 or 75 displacing E400MMCs to "longer" routes, although no doubt we'll see when the time comes.
I did consider this with Milton already having a charging point for the M3 it opens up the possibility for charging points to be placed at Castlemilk for the 5 also. Plus the 75 is a busy route so it would be fitting for it to see more new stock.

The 61 would be another good candidate as the terminus at both ends are quite big and the route itself isn’t that long. This could allow to B9TLs and existing new E400MMCs to be moved around the network to get rid of some B7TLs/B7RLEs.

lastbus

The routes they are going on have already been decided. The first batch of single deckers are going on the 9 service. I believe the buses can do 250 miles on a full charge so no need to charge through the day, although there was talk of charging points being put in at the new Penilee terminus.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I didn’t know that. That’s quite a good range then. I believe the 9/9A has been decided but I’m not sure anything else has hence the Demonstrator E400EV.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I did consider this with Milton already having a charging point for the M3 it opens up the possibility for charging points to be placed at Castlemilk for the 5 also. Plus the 75 is a busy route so it would be fitting for it to see more new stock.

The 61 would be another good candidate as the terminus at both ends are quite big and the route itself isn’t that long. This could allow to B9TLs and existing new E400MMCs to be moved around the network to get rid of some B7TLs/B7RLEs.
It's not really the route length that matters but more the mileage.

Say for example you have a route that is 5 miles end to end and a route that is 10 miles end to end, both on 30MPH roads, the actual mileage a bus does over a full day on either route is going to be about the same, just that on the 10 mile route it does fewer round trips. The range on the BYD/ADLs is pretty good so i can't really see there being a need to install charging points out with the depot/bus station.

Admittedly i've not look at the tender documents in detail, but i'd imagine all the funding for charging points will likely be at Caledonia. There's certainly no need for one at Penilee. Is there actually a charging point at Milton? I had a quick search and can't find anything on it.

Scott mac

9/9a for the 1st set of e200ev rumoured routes for the other buses are 4/4a 5 7/7a 10 57/57a 60 the 75 has also been spoke about which Is a surprise since it was only upgraded a few years ago

PaulMc7

Established Member
9/9a for the 1st set of e200ev rumoured routes for the other buses are 4/4a 5 7/7a 10 57/57a 60 the 75 has also been spoke about which Is a surprise since it was only upgraded a few years ago
I'm not surprised by any of those routes being mentioned to be fair but I agree with you that the 75 is a surprise. I wonder if that does happen what it'll mean for the buses currently on the 75.

The 87/88/89 could be a decent option given that they appear on those routes quite often already so they know that they're pretty suitable on them.