• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Aye. If the damage to critical structrual (body and chassis/underframe) elements is severe enough, the vehicle's age becomes irrelevent and the overall more cost-effective/practical option is to write it off and, if applicable, order a brand-new vehicle.
Is this the same for the 2 that were deroofed (the 18 and 41 branded ones)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
Is this the same for the 2 that were deroofed (the 18 and 41 branded ones)?
Bridge strike victims - like the two cited examples - are more easily repaired, as the damaged roof sections can be cut away/removed to make way for new ones; helps that the model in question is still in production in regards to the two quoted examples. Of course, this also depends on how severe the damage is and, more importantly, the age of the vehicle in question. If a vehicle is of or past a certain age, it will either undergo a proper open-top conversion or be withdrawn altogether.

Going back a good few years, the E500 (SN09 CDO/38225) that struck the Cook Street bridge (there is CCTV footage of the incident out in the ethers of the interweb; I wouldn't post a link to it here even if I had access to one) eventually returned to frontline service fully repaired and repainted (just in time for the whole batch to shift north to Aberdeen, but that's beside the point lol).

Last edited:

lastbus

It appears that SO68 HFM 34368 has been scrapped (the one arson attacked in Easterhouse, Glasgow Fort). It is on a Facebook group (however it is a private group).

WHAT HAS BEEN REMOVED.
So far both side paneling have been removed.

Headlight's have been removed.

Engine hood cover has been removed.

The bottom deck has been gutted of most reusable parts.

The top deck is still as is (the burnt chairs and windshield.

WHAT REMAINS.
So far only a small amount of outside paneling remain (being the front and rear).

Some components (or most) in the engine remain.

The majority of the frame still remains (a portion of the top deck frame has some fire damage).

Drivers cab still apperars to be fully intact.
I've just seen this bus being towed into Bellshill industrial estate.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Is it me or does the 75 seem to have a slight issue with bunching? I've noticed today that there have been two 75s at once.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Is it me or does the 75 seem to have a slight issue with bunching? Ive noticed today that there have been two 75s at once.
The 75 has always been one of the worst services for bunching over the years to be fair. I remember a couple of times before lockdown where I seen 3/4 together and I've known people who use it regularly who've said that can be a regular thing. Most I've ever seen together on it is 5

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The 75 has always been one of the worst services for bunching over the years to be fair. I remember a couple of times before lockdown where I seen 3/4 together and I've known people who use it regularly who've said that can be a regular thing. Most I've ever seen together on it is 5
It’s strange because by Glasgow standards, it isn’t the longest route but suffers from bad bunching because of how the traffic can be during the day.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The 2, 6 and 75 are pretty bad at bunching. You could get at least three 2s all bunched together at the one bus stop sometimes. The 77 has got bad for it over time too.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It’s strange because by Glasgow standards, it isn’t the longest route but suffers from bad bunching because of how the traffic can be during the day.
The 7 and 61 can be pretty similar to be fair. Seems to be common with buses that cover a large part of the city centre but then also cover other areas that are shocking for congestion. Maryhill/Possilpark/Saracen Cross in particular can be really bad out of nowhere during the day

The 2, 6 and 75 are pretty bad at bunching. You could get at least three 2s all bunched together at the one bus stop sometimes. The 77 has got bad for it over time too.
The 2 and 6 by the time they get over to the west are pretty bad. Parkhead, Shettleston and Yoker in particular on the 2 route cause a lot of problems I've found. They also bunch pretty quickly coming from Faifley too.

As for the 6, the route length, Victoria Road, City Centre and Great Western Road destroy a large percentage of the reliability. Think that's also why the passenger numbers have been dwindling a lot on it over the years.

route101

Established Member
The new E400mmc routes were bad for bunching. Better punctuality was achieved throughout lockdown. Noticed last weeks its back to usual self. Waited a good 25 minutes for a 6 other morning.

Victoria Road is very narrow now with the cycle lanes, all it takes is a delivery van or lorry and the road is blocked. I think the frequencies went up few weeks back, though hardly noticed that.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The ones are by far the worst for it especially between Clydebank and the Town
I cannot imagine waiting on a 1/1A/1B today has been fun for people either going by the app. They seem to be 20 mins late at a minimum today. Seen a 1B that was 10 mins late but other than that they've all been later than that.

The 1 due at 16:32 at Clydebank Library for example still isn't there yet and the 1B at 16:52 is still not there yet either. They're never too great on a Sunday anyway but this is as bad as I remember noticing.

Update to this: Still got a 1A running 40 mins late and a 1 30 mins late just now. Been a thing since I first noticed around 2pm.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I cannot imagine waiting on a 1/1A/1B today has been fun for people either going by the app. They seem to be 20 mins late at a minimum today. Seen a 1B that was 10 mins late but other than that they've all been later than that.

The 1 due at 16:32 at Clydebank Library for example still isn't there yet and the 1B at 16:52 is still not there yet either. They're never too great on a Sunday anyway but this is as bad as I remember noticing.

Update to this: Still got a 1A running 40 mins late and a 1 30 mins late just now. Been a thing since I first noticed around 2pm.
Whats causing the delays?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Whats causing the delays?
No idea to be quite honest. They've been fine at Dumbarton towards Glasgow but they seem to crumble after that. Been a few that have been due at Osborne Street and only at Yoker/Clydebank. They're normally 5/10 mins late on every other Sunday with the odd one later than that but never consistently really late like today.

It doesn't help users of the 1C either because the 1/1A/1B change into them and vice versa. Few times earlier it resulted in 2 1Cs together despite being due every 20 mins.

FrankieB86

No idea to be quite honest. They've been fine at Dumbarton towards Glasgow but they seem to crumble after that. Been a few that have been due at Osborne Street and only at Yoker/Clydebank. They're normally 5/10 mins late on every other Sunday with the odd one later than that but never consistently really late like today.

It doesn't help users of the 1C either because the 1/1A/1B change into them and vice versa. Few times earlier it resulted in 2 1Cs together despite being due every 20 mins.
I would hazard a guess, it has something to do with the Scotrail strike. The loading may be busier than usual and the traffic heavier. However that is me guessing.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I would hazard a guess, it has something to do with the Scotrail strike. The loading may be busier than usual and the traffic heavier. However that is me guessing.
Possibly. With 2 trains an hour though I don't think it would make that much of a difference though. The A82 traffic and Glasgow Road could be a factor but god knows. I just know it's a huge problem for the entire week normally and has been over the last 2/3 years especially. Going back 5/6 years they could be late sometimes but it was never as bad as now.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Possibly. With 2 trains an hour though I don't think it would make that much of a difference though. The A82 traffic and Glasgow Road could be a factor but god knows. I just know it's a huge problem for the entire week normally and has been over the last 2/3 years especially. Going back 5/6 years they could be late sometimes but it was never as bad as now.

The strikes haven't been having too much of an effect on the DOO services yet. However, there have been a few cancellations throughout the day as well as a very early finish.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The strikes haven't been having too much of an effect on the DOO services yet. However, there have been a few cancellations throughout the day as well as a very early finish.
Yeah it's a strange one. Since the trains have finished up they've been reasonable and mostly bang on time to be quite honest. I only noticed it from 2pm til after 6ish but I'd imagine it had been going on much earlier. It's where the capacity on the bus being limited could be a huge problem. If buses can be that late, the number waiting on the bus could end up too much. I know on the bank holiday when I was out it was a huge problem on multiple occasions.

I've always thought splitting the routes in Dumbarton would help to be quite honest. The problem is that 10 mins of recovery time at each end still probably wouldn't always be enough. It's the running time that probably needs a few extra minutes on top of that recovery time. Old Kilpatrick to Clydebank and Scotstoun to Argyle Street in particular are incredibly tight for timing.

If it was my decision I'd consider cutting the 1D to between Mountblow and Clydebank permanently, Running the 1/1A/1B as services between Dumbarton and Glasgow and then separate 200 numbered services to cover Balloch/Helensburgh from Dumbarton.

Last edited:

GaryBrown156

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the 90 and SPT 89/90 please? My cousin has recently started traveling from Springburn to Cessnock using the 90 as it takes him from right outside his house to his work. This is ideal in the morning, however when he clocks off in the early evening he has been returning home via a 9/9A into town and then a bus from there to Springburn as all the 90 buses after 17.45 are only listed as going as far as Parkhead. The later journey after 19.00 (FG/SPT 89) do the full route again so he is a bit confused as to why they don't between 17.45 and then? He was told by a local that some of the intermediate buses tabled to terminate at Parkhead continue to Springburn (as the same bus) but he is nervous about trying it as there is no other Springburn alternative from the forge at that time and it's far too long to wait for the SPT services.

Edirim

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the 90 and SPT 89/90 please?. My cousin has recently started traveling from Springburn to Cessnock using the 90 as it takes him from right outside his house to his work. This is ideal in the morning, however when he clocks off in the early evening he has been returning home via a 9/9A into town and then a bus from there to Springburn as all the 90 buses after 17.45 are only listed as going as far as Parkhead. The later journey after 19.00 (FG/SPT 89) do the full route again so he is a bit confused as to why they don't between 17.45 and then?. He was told by a local that some of the intermediate buses tabled to terminate at Parkhead continue to Springburn (as the same bus) but he is nervous about trying it as there is no other Springburn alternative from the forge at that time and it's far too long to wait for the SPT services.
The daytime service 90 is commercial and the evening 89/90 is tendered hence the timetable.
The 1755 service 90 from Braehead to Parkhead works onto the 19:10 service 89 from Parkhead round to Govan so he could take that

KGGXXXY

BBC Scotland had online and TV coverage of this today,

Bus depot bid to be UK's largest electric vehicle charging hub​

Published15 hours ago