• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

With tap on tap off I always forget to tap off!

Some other First areas have a £1 flat fare after 6pm, would that work in Glasgow?
That would be great, especially now as it could attract more foot fall after 6pm coming into summer.

the most recent profit margin was just over £12m yet we see ticket prices increase, that £12m was bound to have benefitted from the savings they’ve made in terms of buses being off road in the depot through lack of staff.

Even with increased diesel costs and inspite of the electricity costs also increasing there electricity usage will still be saving them money over and above diesel powered vehicles.

Naivety on my part to think that any saving would go to the benefit of there so called customers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
That would be great, especially now as it could attract more foot fall after 6pm coming into summer.

the most recent profit margin was just over £12m yet we see ticket prices increase, that £12m was bound to have benefitted from the savings they’ve made in terms of buses being off road in the depot through lack of staff.

Even with increased diesel costs and inspite of the electricity costs also increasing there electricity usage will still be saving them money over and above diesel powered vehicles.

Naivety on my part to think that any saving would go to the benefit of there so called customers.
The company has one contact centre to cover everywhere and it's in Leeds to be fair. Customer service has never ever been First's strong suit. It's also worth mentioning app features getting mentioned nearly a year ago and a lot of operations still don't have them so yeah it definitely could be better.

The other problem is that nobody has challenged First in Glasgow properly at all so they've never had to step it up. At least in West Lothian etc there's been a better rival.

Stagecoach tried a couple of hospital services and have the 4 and X19 still and then the Cumbernauld services, McGill's have the Paisley, Erskine and Greenock/Largs routes and other operators have tried the odd thing here and there but that's been it.

No private company will do anything either. Too many people are fully "public run is the only way" to accept a challenger to First lining their own pockets.

The company has one contact centre to cover everywhere and it's in Leeds to be fair. Customer service has never ever been First's strong suit. It's also worth mentioning app features getting mentioned nearly a year ago and a lot of operations still don't have them so yeah it definitely could be better.

The other problem is that nobody has challenged First in Glasgow properly at all so they've never had to step it up. At least in West Lothian etc there's been a better rival.

Stagecoach tried a couple of hospital services and have the 4 and X19 still and then the Cumbernauld services, McGill's have the Paisley, Erskine and Greenock/Largs routes and other operators have tried the odd thing here and there but that's been it.

No private company will do anything either. Too many people are fully "public run is the only way" to accept a challenger to First lining their own pockets.
I’m under the impression that having a public transport operator who does own the operation privately can work, but under circumstances that many wouldn’t consider.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I’m under the impression that having a public transport operator who does own the operation privately can work, but under circumstances that many wouldn’t consider.
The basics should be good customer service, management and maintenance and unfortunately they're all areas First could improve in.

First aren't all bad though. Evidence shows that. You don't dominate the biggest city in a country for such a long time by being as awful as the public generally make out.

The basics should be good customer service, management and maintenance and unfortunately they're all areas First could improve in.

First aren't all bad though. Evidence shows that. You don't dominate the biggest city in a country for such a long time by being as awful as the public generally make out.

That’s a reasonable comment on the surface, but with all due respect, there has been no major alternative operators moved in to Glasgow en masse to threaten that dominant position of First Glasgow, perhaps a while ago it would’ve seemed possible for another operator to move in but the lack of drivers nowadays clearly makes that an impossibility, not to mention that many operators would be concerned more than ever before of the risk that trying to compete can cause on there finances if they can’t make that invested cash back in revenue.

Even in my somewhat narrow view, There isn’t one operator in Glasgow who can compete any level above First Glasgow on many different aspects.

Scotrail88

That’s a reasonable comment on the surface, but with all due respect, there has been no major alternative operators moved in to Glasgow en masse to threaten that dominant position of First Glasgow, perhaps a while ago it would’ve seemed possible for another operator to move in but the lack of drivers nowadays clearly makes that an impossibility, not to mention that many operators would be concerned more than ever before of the risk that trying to compete can cause on there finances if they can’t make that invested cash back in revenue.

Even in my somewhat narrow view, There isn’t one operator in Glasgow who can compete any level above First Glasgow on many different aspects.
Stagecoach did a good stab with the G1/2 in the west end. The also have a good stance with the X19.

JMB tried the 240 in Bellshill and didn’t last long.

Realistically, the cost of operation v income doesn’t match everyone’s expectations

Stagecoach did a good stab with the G1/2 in the west end. The also have a good stance with the X19.

JMB tried the 240 in Bellshill and didn’t last long.

Realistically, the cost of operation v income doesn’t match everyone’s expectations
The G1, 2 or even x19 represents a minuscule amount of buses in Glasgow.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
No reported injuries at the moment but the bus has just passed me on a wrecker. Looking at it the driver has had an extremely lucky escape

trei2k

BBC News article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-61202790

A man has been taken to hospital following a fire on a double-decker bus in the centre of Glasgow.
The incident took place shortly after midday in the city's Renfield Street and forced the closure of a number of streets while fire crews dealt with the blaze.
The bus driver and passengers were evacuated from the First Bus vehicle.
Police said a 54-year-old man was hurt, but his injuries were not life-threatening.
A spokeswoman for First Bus said it would support the emergency services with their inquiries.
"The safety and well-being of our passengers, drivers and the public are our number one priority and we will be conducting a full investigation into how the incident happened," she said.
Bus after fire
IMAGE SOURCE,@JACK_M1888

Related Topics​

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'd imagine part of the issue with this happening is the heavy operating schedule that First have. The buses go through a lot of work if they're out from the beginning of a service in the morning to the end of it at night. Doing that every single day will lead to faults and issues.

Some can be unfortunate if it's early on but it will be a headache going forward if it keeps happening. It's definitely a sign that buses need to be replaced more quickly. I'd imagine given that it could be fatal if it goes absolutely wrong it may put some people off using the buses too

I'd imagine part of the issue with this happening is the heavy operating schedule that First have. The buses go through a lot of work if they're out from the beginning of a service in the morning to the end of it at night. Doing that every single day will lead to faults and issues.

Some can be unfortunate if it's early on but it will be a headache going forward if it keeps happening. It's definitely a sign that buses need to be replaced more quickly. I'd imagine given that it could be fatal if it goes absolutely wrong it may put some people off using the buses too
How is it a sign that buses need replaced quicker? Do you know what started the fire?

PaulMc7

Established Member
How is it a sign that buses need replaced quicker? Do you know what started the fire?
I don't know what started it but it's quite noticeable that First push the limits of their fleet on a regular basis with what is still in regular use. When maintenance isn't great either that's not a good thing.

Busman84

All Geminis in the fleet have been used basically all day, everyday, including nightbuses since new. These buses are still used the entire day in service daily. Usually you would find the oldest vehicles in service on daytime boards, and not on out on Sundays. However both 53/54 plate Geminis are out in service daily so your finding these buses still worked as hard 18 years later when really years ago should have seen these vehicles be used less.

jazza374

Or it could be arson and absolutely nothing to do with maintenance. At this stage the reasons are unknown. Making allegations that maintenance is not great and about the way First use their vehicles is quite dangerous without solid verified evidence to support it.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Or it could be arson and absolutely nothing to do with maintenance. At this stage the reasons are unknown. Making allegations that maintenance is not great and about the way First use their vehicles is quite dangerous without solid verified evidence to support it.
You only need to use the buses on a regular basis to know that the maintenance is shoddy. It's been well known for years.

I will categorically not defend any operator on their maintenance regimes, it's just one area where money can be saved and also an area where individual engineers are sloppy with their own standards.

As for the fire that took place on that Gemini, there’s no knowing what caused the fire.

It's most likely an electrical fault, and anyone who says that maintenance is not a major contributing factor is blind I’m afraid.

I have attached a few photos of my own. You can literally drive most buses and find something out of place, even if that means warning lights strewn over the dash.

(Photos attached show the footwell of a First Glasgow B9TL with a poorly bunch of cables, an E400 MMC with a completely cracked wheelchair ramp bracket and a B7RLE which had horrendous paint work)

Attachments

• 1DCDBAA3-041E-4504-9D08-B7A0153B3375.jpeg
    1DCDBAA3-041E-4504-9D08-B7A0153B3375.jpeg
    773.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 65ED44E1-E514-495C-BC8A-FAE74AA6C30C.jpeg
    65ED44E1-E514-495C-BC8A-FAE74AA6C30C.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 104
  • 34D3635B-A786-488F-ADA3-10CBAEF7CADA.jpeg
    34D3635B-A786-488F-ADA3-10CBAEF7CADA.jpeg
    724.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
First Glasgow not having the best maintenance is not exactly news
There numerous posts on this thread alone regarding it

PaulMc7

Established Member
You have to wonder how much money First have lost out on in Glasgow by being cheap with certain things. As someone who studied business it does definitely seem like First and others in the industry are a bit in the past with certain very key aspects of the business. It reflects in the importance of online opinions and customer service especially and maintenance is just another thing that's handled very wrongly.

You only make money by having customers and it's very evident at times First don't care enough about what they're saying hence the switching to car and train. Yes it's a challenging industry but there's no industries that are easy to operate in. Lately, I've noticed more and more that people are picking up on the poor maintenance and also that First don't seem very good to work for. That absolutely needs to change but will those in charge realise anytime soon?

I think First also need to be realistic about what services they can run too. There's still far too many cancellations. Just reduce all timetables to manageable levels until there are more drivers. You'd think that would be common sense. There was 3 2s missing in a row earlier at one point.

On Sunday Overtown is closed and they operate from Blantyre.
Otherwise Monday to Saturday they operate from Overtown?

Also I’ve been told that Overtown can only operate Singles from the depot?

You have to wonder how much money First have lost out on in Glasgow by being cheap with certain things. As someone who studied business it does definitely seem like First and others in the industry are a bit in the past with certain very key aspects of the business. It reflects in the importance of online opinions and customer service especially and maintenance is just another thing that's handled very wrongly.

You only make money by having customers and it's very evident at times First don't care enough about what they're saying hence the switching to car and train. Yes it's a challenging industry but there's no industries that are easy to operate in. Lately, I've noticed more and more that people are picking up on the poor maintenance and also that First don't seem very good to work for. That absolutely needs to change but will those in charge realise anytime soon?

I think First also need to be realistic about what services they can run too. There's still far too many cancellations. Just reduce all timetables to manageable levels until there are more drivers. You'd think that would be common sense. There was 3 2s missing in a row earlier at one point.
Particularly the reliability over all other things at the moment is needing addressed.

A full army of drivers isn’t possible.