• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I'm unsure if this has ever been answered but was there ever any logical reasoning given for Caledonia and Scotstoun depot based drivers getting £13 per hour compared to Dumbarton/Overtown and Blantyre getting £12.35 an hour? It makes zero sense especially given that all 3 of the depots on lower rates have routes that cover into Glasgow City Centre.

Is it not something to do with the old Strathclyde Buses and Kelvin Scottish set up.

Happy to be corrected if not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stef434

I'm unsure if this has ever been answered but was there ever any logical reasoning given for Caledonia and Scotstoun depot based drivers getting £13 per hour compared to Dumbarton/Overtown and Blantyre getting £12.35 an hour? It makes zero sense especially given that all 3 of the depots on lower rates have routes that cover into Glasgow City Centre.

Historically First Glasgow 1 and First Glasgow 2 were two entirely separate businesses with their own terms and conditions. Whilst both are now part of First Glasgow, the demographic differences mean that it simply isn’t possible to have both operating with the same cost base.

FG1 predominantly serves the city, where the population density is greater, and passengers travel relatively short distances. FG2 on the other hand mostly serves areas outside the city where the population density is lower, and passengers travel proportionally longer distances.
The impact these demographic differences have at route level can best be seen in the passenger and revenue per mile statistics both operations produce.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s likely a dinosaur old tradition, Dumbarton and the Lanarkshire depots were never Strathclyde buses therefore never were they given the same wages.

I agree they should all be on the same.

stevenedin

It would make sense to do the same but it happens in other places too. Edinburgh has the same issue. City drivers get paid more than drivers of Lothian Country or East Coast Buses.

It would make sense to do the same but it happens in other places too. Edinburgh has the same issue. City drivers get paid more than drivers of Lothian Country or East Coast Buses.
To be fair those East Coast/Lothian Country drivers are on £13ph/£15.60 overtime.

Back to First Glasgow, under that banner alone the profit margin taken by the city can help provide £13ph to “all” First Glasgow drivers regardless of area served. First has a significant portion of Lanarkshire under their wing and it does take decent money, perhaps less so that it did. Keep in mind though that the likes of the 240 & 267 are taking considerable length into the city area.

At the end of the day it’s a revenue saving technique, nothing more.

PaulMc7

Established Member
To be fair those east coast/LC drivers are on £13ph/£15.60 OT.

Back to first Glasgow, under that banner alone the profit margin taken by the city can help provide £13ph to “all” First Glasgow driver irregardless of area served, First has a significant portion of Lanarkshire under there wing and it does take decent money, perhaps less so that it did, keep in mind though that the likes of the 240 & 267 are taking considerable length into the city area.

At the end of the day it’s a revenue saving technique, nothing more.
The key thing for First in Lanarkshire is they control large parts of the right Lanarkshire towns to make good money. If First consulted the public they'd probably find better ways to run services too and it's baffling as to why they don't.

East Kilbride always seems to strike me as the big Lanarkshire let down to be fair and the people there definitely feel the same given what is usually said online and in public regarding First in the area. I wonder how losing the SPT tenders M1 and 205 will go because they were busy by SPT tenders' standards.

PaulMc7

Established Member
There seem to be so many more buses missing today than there have been for a while, to be honest. 2 2s missing after work and the next only went to Scotstoun and my bus this morning only went to Scotstoun too. The 3s seem to be as bad too.

Fair enough having buses missing is unavoidable but the scheduling around it seems to be very poor at times.

Changes have been registered for August 29th on VOSA today too:

The list is quite long to be fair:

• PM0000006/225 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: East Kilbride Bus Station to South Lanarkshire College
    Service number: 120
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 29 Aug 2022
  • PM0000006/146 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Newmains, West Crindledyke to Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station via Wishaw, Motherwell
    Service number: X11
    Service type: Limited Stop, Normal Stopping
  • PM0000006/119 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Glasgow, City Centre ( Buchanan Bus Station) to Cumbernauld Town Centre via Muirhead, Moddiesburn, Westfield, Craiglinn & Cumbernauld Town Centre
    Service number: X3
  • PM0000006/424 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Hamilton Bus Station to Hamilton Campus
    Service number: U1
  • PM0000006/357 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Hamilton Bus Station to Buchanan Bus Station via Blantyre, Cambuslang, Rutherglen
    Service number: 267
  • PM0000006/423 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Shotts or Newmains, West Crindledyke to Hamilton Bus Station via Wishaw, Motherwell
    Service number: 266
  • PM0000006/354 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Hamilton Bus Station to Buchanan Bus Station via Uddingston, Tollcross, Parkhead
    Service number: 255
  • PM0000006/353 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Newarthill, Mosshall Street to Motherwell, West Hamilton Street via Carfin
    Service number: 254
  • PM0000006/181 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Holytown or Maxim Bus Bay to Overtown via Wishaw
    Service number: 242
  • PM0000006/134 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Coltness/Cleland to Blantyre, Overtown or North Motherwell via Wishaw, Muirhouse
    Service number: 241
  • PM0000006/5 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Pather or Overtown or Motherwell to Glasgow Bus Station
    Service number: 240
  • PM0000006/3 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Hillhouse Farm Road to Fairhill, Burnhouse Road or Little Earnock
    Service number: 226
  • PM0000006/12 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Petersburn Minch Way to East Kilbride, Hairmyres Hospital Rail Station
    Service number: 201
  • PM0000006/280 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station to Torrance or Lennoxtown or Kilsyth via Bishopbriggs
    Service number: 89 (89A, 89B)
  • PM0000006/47 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Kirkintilloch, Harestanes ( Ellisland Drive), Campsie Glen, Kilsyth ( to Glasgow (Buchanan Bus Station)
    Service number: 88 (88A, 88C)
  • PM0000006/406 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Auchinairn (Westhill) to Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station via Springburn
    Service number: 87
  • PM0000006/183 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Glasgow, (City Centre, Holland Street) to East Kilbride, Greenhills via Rutherglen
    Service number: 18
  • PM0000001/95 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Glasgow City Centre, Buchanan Bus Station to Silverburn
    Service number: x8
    Service type: Circular, Normal Stopping
  • PM0000001/602 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Knightswood, Knightscliffe Ave to Stockwell Place via Lincoln Avenue
    Service number: X4
  • PM0000001/13 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Easterhouse, Terminus to Hillington Estate via Govan
    Service number: 765
  • PM0000001/12 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Drumchapel, Station to Penilee via Braehead Bus Stance
    Service number: 709
  • PM0000001/637 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Sandyhills, Balbeggie Street to Summerston, Turning Circle
    Service number: 61
  • PM0000001/638 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Easterhouse, Terminus to Clydebank Bus Station or Milngavie
    Service number: 60 (60A)
  • PM0000001/68 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Easterhouse Lochend Road Terminus to Glasgow, West Regent Street
    Service number: 41
  • PM0000001/636 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Easterhouse Shopping Centre to West Regent Street, Glasgow
    Service number: 19
  • PM0000001/374 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Buchanan Bus Station to Linwood, Penilee or Braehead via Paisley
    Service number: 9 (9A)

Last edited:

Stan Drews

Established Member
All local bus service registrations are required to revert to their March 2020 position by 1st September, unless they have been varied/cancelled using the regular 70 day notice period, during the pandemic.
Therefore, if operators wish to continue running timetables that were introduced using the reduced notification periods (that have been permitted during the pandemic), they have to formally register them using the full notice period. For that to take place prior to 1st September, the most likely start dates will be Sun/Mon 28/29 Aug, and those registrations will be submitted to the Office of the Traffic Commissioner no later than this Sunday/Monday.

PaulMc7

Established Member
All local bus service registrations are required to revert to their March 2020 position by 1st September, unless they have been varied/cancelled using the regular 70 day notice period, during the pandemic.
Therefore, if operators wish to continue running timetables that were introduced using the reduced notification periods (that have been permitted during the pandemic), they have to formally register them using the full notice period. For that to take place prior to 1st September, the most likely start dates will be Sun/Mon 28/29 Aug, and those registrations will be submitted to the Office of the Traffic Commissioner no later than this Sunday/Monday.
Thank you for the information. I'm guessing it's likely this is nowhere near the end of First's registrations then given how short of drivers they are meaning pre-covid levels are impossible. I'd expect the network to reduce further if anything soon.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Thank you for the information. I'm guessing it's likely this is nowhere near the end of First's registrations then given how short of drivers they are meaning pre-covid levels are impossible. I'd expect the network to reduce further if anything soon.
A lot of their current timetables will have been introduced using the short notice dispensation, so it’s quite possible that some of these registrations could actually just mean the current timetables will continue, but they have to do it through the full formal process.

PaulMc7

Established Member
A lot of their current timetables will have been introduced using the short notice dispensation, so it’s quite possible that some of these registrations could actually just mean the current timetables will continue, but they have to do it through the full formal process.
Thank you for clarifying.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

Caledonia (formerly Larkfield/Parkhead) and Scotstoun (formerly Knightswood) were the ex Glasgow Corporation/Strathclyde, with Dumbarton, Overtown (and the former Motherwell and Cumbernauld) being the ex KCB.

Personally, I believe it should be the exact same pay regardless of which garage as it is the same company.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Caledonia (formerly Larkfield/Parkhead) and Scotstoun (formerly Knightswood) were the ex Glasgow Corporation/Strathclyde, with Dumbarton, Overtown (and the former Motherwell and Cumbernauld) being the ex KCB.

Personally, I believe it should be the exact same pay regardless of which garage as it is the same company.
Thanks for the info. Yes, it absolutely should be the same pay for everyone. To be fair with Blantyre especially from what I've read and heard from people who have worked there pay is only the tip of the iceberg regarding problems. I've known people at Caledonia, Scotstoun and Blantyre in recent years but not Overtown and Dumbarton.

In general with First, it seems to be far more negative than positive from a working experience.

scosutsut

Dumbarton being the indirect replacement for Old Kilpatrick, from the KCB days.

Bus Lightyear

Fair enough having buses missing is unavoidable but the scheduling around it seems to be very poor at times.
It's maybe not as simple as you think. Depot Clerks at times could be left with no alternative but to cancel consecutive journeys.

Dumbarton being the indirect replacement for Old Kilpatrick, from the KCB days.
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure Old Kilpatrick was locally referred to as Gavinburn depot.

Going back 36 years ago before deregulation took place, from what I remember of First Glasgow's predecessors depots -

Strathclyde - Larkfield, Parkhead, Possilpark, Knightswood, Gartcraig, Newlands
Kelvin - Old Kilpatrick, Milngavie, Kirkintilloch, Stepps, Cumbernauld
Central - Airdrie, Wishaw, Motherwell, Hamilton, East Kilbride

There may be others and hopefully someone can put me right.

Not a predecessor of First but Clydeside had a depot on Carnwadric Road, Thornliebank but they pulled all of their services from the area when the depot closed.

Last edited:

Considering that the one group of services are one of the largest money making services for First. Which are part of the No 2 company, run by Dumbarton. That operate wholly to the city. It makes more sense for Dumbarton to be part of the no 1 company.

In reality however the two companies should be merged into one, with similar conditions of service and pay. Its a good while since Glasgow corporation existed and no need for such history to get continued.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The other thing that makes it strange to me is the fact they've merged so many depots that you have No 2 services operating out of Caledonia in the No 1 region hence there isn't need to separate them any longer and it should be one company only.

As for pay and conditions, everyone on the same rate would be a start but I think you'd need to massively build up reputation as a good employer and pretty quickly if you want more drivers to come in and also stick around.

There is definitely a vibe of "don't go there to work" anytime First are mentioned and that does seem to have spread around Glasgow pretty quickly. Pay increases are great but in 2022 in any industry they aren't the be all and end all like they used to be.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Pay will get people in the door but it's how they are treated that keeps them there and how the employer uses its duty of care to its employees

DC21

Looking at the August changes, can anyone confirm the 240 going back into Pather and the 242 running to Overtown? I see the 241 has starting and finishing points of Overtown and Blantyre. I'm presuming these changes aren't what the actual routes will be.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Looking at the August changes, can anyone confirm the 240 going back into Pather and the 242 running to Overtown? I see the 241 has starting and finishing points of Overtown and Blantyre. I'm presuming these changes aren't what the actual routes will be.
Perhaps this is why they are standing to debrand the E200MMCs.

lastbus

Possibly right there. Although I don't see a point of the 240 switching to Pather and 242 to Overtown, as Pathers evening buses aren't run by First and the 240 would still go to Overtown at night.
No change to 240 or 242 routes. The Registration for the 240 has had Pather in it for years. Some 242s already start and finish at Overtown depot.

PaulMc7

Established Member
No change to 240 or 242 routes. The Registration for the 240 has had Pather in it for years. Some 242s already start and finish at Overtown depot.
Are there any timetable or route changes to come anytime soon?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Is there a 38 branded E400MMC on loan to Blantyre or are some of the batch being moved to Blantyre?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
34389 has been tracking on the 21 and 201 over the last couple of days. Just seems to be the only one that's at Blantrye.
34388 has also been reported as transferring to Blantyre. It was mentioned around 3 weeks ago that 34388-34392 are to end up at Blantyre eventually

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
34388 has also been reported as transferring to Blantyre. It was mentioned around 3 weeks ago that 34388-34392 are to end up at Blantyre eventually
I wonder if this will see off the YN08 B9TLs at Blantyre and have it exclusively E400MMCs.

I dare say it maybe would have made sense to move over the ex-FSE E400MMCs branded for the 41 and convert that route to electric given it’s a popular route and it’s relatively short so would be suitable for the E400EVs.