• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I see the EV’s are starting to stretch their legs a bit more now. The 61 is all but electric now and I’ve noticed some EV’s on the 88, X3 and X87. Albeit I doubt they have the range to stay on these routes all day.

What’s a rough days work for an EV before they run out of charge?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I see the EV’s are starting to stretch their legs a bit more now. The 61 is all but electric now and I’ve noticed some EV’s on the 88, X3 and X87. Albeit I doubt they have the range to stay on these routes all day.

What’s a rough days work for an EV before they run out of charge?
About 140 miles

Brimfulofasha

A few weeks ago, I got the 77 to Renfrew and got increasingly annoyed by the on-board announcements, particularly the one that states "Passengers are reminded that, unless exempt, wearing a face covering is a condition of travel". I counted and heard that one at least 20 times. I thought it had not been updated but was on the 77 briefly tonight and heard the same announcement.

Is it still a condition of travel, even though it's not legally enforceable? And do these on-board announcements not run the risk of alienating regular passengers? I for one am glad I rarely use the 77 and it'll be a bad day if they're added to my regular routes: 2/61/240/255 & 87/57.

stevenedin

A few weeks ago, I got the 77 to Renfrew and got increasingly annoyed by the on-board announcements, particularly the one that states "Passengers are reminded that, unless exempt, wearing a face covering is a condition of travel". I counted and heard that one at least 20 times. I thought it had not been updated but was on the 77 briefly tonight and heard the same announcement.

Is it still a condition of travel, even though it's not legally enforceable? And do these on-board announcements not run the risk of alienating regular passengers? I for one am glad I rarely use the 77 and it'll be a bad day if they're added to my regular routes: 2/61/240/255 & 87/57.
It’s no longer a requirement. It hasn’t been updated yet. They are annoying I agree. I travelled on the 77 recently and understand what you mean.

It’s no longer a requirement. It hasn’t been updated yet. They are annoying I agree. I travelled on the 77 recently and understand what you mean.
Not only annocenents on the 77.

Was on a 500 recently and it was still advertising a conference which had bern held in May. Only a mere 2 and a bit Months behind.

It's great to have the technology but it needs somebody to keep it up to date on a regular basis. The video even shows the service passing the closed city chambers bit of George Square.Which now with 5he added mystery tour puts a15 minutes journey more like 30 minutes one.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member

The onboard announcements have been switched off on both the 18 and 75, so we don't need to hear it every time the bus stops thankfully.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Do Scotstoun struggle for drivers more on a Friday than any other day of the week because from experience it definitely feels that way. Towards the City Centre this morning between 7:45 and 8:35 at Scotstoun only one 2 ran from Faifley at all. One started at Scotstoun then one ran fully then the next two failed to show.

Last edited:

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I have a question.

Why are a lot of First Glasgow's double deckers low height? Do they have the same problem here in Oxford, in that as a result of a low bridge with many routes passing through, First have to get low height double deckers?

Busman84

First appear over last number of years to have ordered lowheights, a similar thing to what Stagecoach do across the group (except London). Yet previously First ordered standard height vehicles. I'm not why - is there perhaps a price difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bus Lightyear

The only low height Doubles at First Glasgow are 11/61 reg E400 which were acquired specifically for Busby Bridge.

Surreyman

And the vast majority of the Enviro400 MMCs (I think it's just the 65 plates which aren't)
I am confused, I was under the impression that nearly all First 'Deckers are built to 'Full height' spec (presumably somewhere between 14' 3 - 14' 6 in old money),
I was aware of the older batch of E400 in Glasgow, also Ipswich (& presumably older B7TL/Alexander bodies) + Scania 'deckers in Stirling for Causeway Head bridge.
I had assumed that all of Firsts Streetdecks are full height, ditto E400MMC, if not which ones are low height?

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I am confused, I was under the impression that nearly all First 'Deckers are built to 'Full height' spec (presumably somewhere between 14' 3 - 14' 6 in old money),
I was aware of the older batch of E400 in Glasgow, also Ipswich (& presumably older B7TL/Alexander bodies) + Scania 'deckers in Stirling for Causeway Head bridge.
I had assumed that all of Firsts Streetdecks are full height, ditto E400MMC, if not which ones are low height?

In Bristol & Bath (First West of England), only the Scania MMCs (36801-36836) are low height. All other MMCs there are full height.

However, for the old style E400s, I've heard that West of England's SN63 E400s are low height, but I'm not sure as I haven't been on one yet.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
All the first glasgow Enviro 400 MMCs on 68/19 plates are low height (13”10 vice 14”2 iirc)

Busman84

I think the Streetdeck perhaps only buses normal height otherwise all ADL E400MMCs over the years have been lowheights.
In Glasgow the 65 and 66 plates are normal height.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I wonder if the 6 will go single decker after the low height E400s go. Unless First order more specifically made buses.

They aren't low enough for the Busby Railway Bridge.

I would put money on it considering half of them are off the road.
Funny you say that, have just passed the 6 terminus. With 2 there and a third and fourh heading there. Although to he fair they fair they dont always work on the 6 these days