• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

stevenedin

Agreed. There will be a certain pressure into ordering ADL/BYD products, however surely when they already have 59 E200EVs and 91 E400EVs in the fleet - I’d say ordering a further E200EVs is lunacy this point. Scotstoun should be getting Yutongs for the 2 and 3 as they are long routes and would be perfect. The Yutongs have also proven to be a success in Glasgow as expected.

I get that there are expectations for ordering but when it becomes impractical surely that has to be taken into consideration. Most current EV’s are in the depot for tea time while the diesels continue on throughout the night due to range.

No doubt in the very near future when the B9TLs need replaced they’ll opt for the new generation ADL E400EVs which have improved range. I suspect there will be some re-jigging in the future with the current E200EVs and E400EVs as newer more improved range buses are added to the fleet.
I guess that in the future the E200EVs will be sent elsewhere in the First network to operate shorter routes once all of the right infrastructure is in place.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Which begs the question why First aren’t just ordering Yutongs for both Glasgow and Aberdeen. Now we have 50 BYD’s coming to Scotstoun for routes that would benefit from the longer range.
They would probably benefit more by ordering new generation E400evs for the 2 and 3. When it comes to Dumbarton similar for the 1s.

Volvodart

Established Member
The list of proposed transfers (which did not happen as envisaged) mentioned here a while ago said that they were coming in the summer.

EMU303

Is it possible E200ev might see their batteries replaced in the future by improved range versions?

E400Lover101

Agreed. There will be a certain pressure into ordering ADL/BYD products, however surely when they already have 59 E200EVs and 91 E400EVs in the fleet - I’d say ordering a further E200EVs is lunacy this point. Scotstoun should be getting Yutongs for the 2 and 3 as they are long routes and would be perfect. The Yutongs have also proven to be a success in Glasgow as expected.

I get that there are expectations for ordering but when it becomes impractical surely that has to be taken into consideration. Most current EV’s are in the depot for tea time while the diesels continue on throughout the night due to range.

No doubt in the very near future when the B9TLs need replaced they’ll opt for the new generation ADL E400EVs which have improved range. I suspect there will be some re-jigging in the future with the current E200EVs and E400EVs as newer more improved range buses are added to the fleet.
The Yutongs would also be a great addition for the 6 and 90 as they could probably do at least 4-5 round trips or maybe even a full 12 hours on those routes.

The BYD's probably won't even last half a day because of how terrible thier range is. The BYD's would suit routes like the M60, 226, 254. I know I have gone off topic about Scotstoun Routes but I think the BYD's would be better on some of the Overtown Routes.

The Yutongs would also be a great addition for the 6 and 90 as they could probably do at least 4-5 round trips or maybe even a full 12 hours on those routes.

The BYD's probably won't even last half a day because of how terrible thier range is. The BYD's would suit routes like the M60, 226, 254. I know I have gone off topic about Scotstoun Routes but I think the BYD's would be better on some of the Overtown Routes.
Both Yutong and BYD are Chinese products. Although BYD is produced in Bulgaria, many other EC Products are available. The only difference is bodywork..

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
The most suitable routes at Scotstoun for the E200EVs are also the ones that don't need electric buses due to not serving the low emission zone. If the interlink with the 8 was broken, the 16 would be fine for them but other than that it's really only the 81, M11 and M60 they'd be suitable for.

As for Lanarkshire, the only services I'd say are suitable are the 226, 227, 229, 241, 242, 254 and the 266 at a push and you'd also need to break the interlink with the 267 at certain times of the day. As for Dumbarton, it's really only the 206 and 208 they'd work on.

I think First have put themselves in a bit of a hole by committing to them up to now and hopefully there aren't any more after this order due to far better options being available.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

Agreed. The E200EVs would be well suited to Lanarkshire local routes.

Perhaps after the success of their trial - Glasgow will get some Yutongs and displace some of the E200EVs.

I see from the Facebook page that some Yutongs are heading to Scotstoun. Does anyone know if they’ll see service?

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The managing director didn't say specifically say that the Yutongs are staying in Glasgow. The fleet manager for FirstGroup has also confirmed that they're still destined for Aberdeen and that some Caledonia based Enviro200EVs are going to go on loan to Scotstoun to assist with training ahead of the new Enviro200EVs arriving later this year.

There has been a number of delays installing the chargers at Aberdeen hence the Yutongs being on loan to Glasgow longer than had originally been intended.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The managing director didn't say specifically say that the Yutongs are staying in Glasgow. The fleet manager for FirstGroup has also confirmed that they're still destined for Aberdeen and that some Caledonia based Enviro200EVs are going to go on loan to Scotstoun to assist with training ahead of the new Enviro200EVs arriving later this year.

There has been a number of delays installing the chargers at Aberdeen hence the Yutongs being on loan to Glasgow longer than had originally been intended.
I didn’t think they’d stay here. I mean they all have the Aberdeen livery and there’s 24 to perfectly replace the B7RLEs.

I just wondered as I seen some Yutongs had been delivered and were going to Scotstoun so I wondered why they’d do that unless they’re entering service. It would be good to see them on the 2 to trial some new routes.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Do we actually have an official source that can be quoted that confirms what is happening with the Yutongs?

If information is coming from internal sources and isn't available for public consumption, we don't expect you to provide links and quotes, but at least state where your information is coming from so that the rest of us can make a judgement as to how accurate the information might be. Please also consider whether you should be publishing any internal information on a public forum in the first place.

Also, when replying to a post, please use the "reply" or "quote" functions so that we know which post you're actually responding to.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I didn’t think they’d stay here. I mean they all have the Aberdeen livery and there’s 24 to perfectly replace the B7RLEs.

I just wondered as I seen some Yutongs had been delivered and were going to Scotstoun so I wondered why they’d do that unless they’re entering service. It would be good to see them on the 2 to trial some new routes.
According to the fleet manager the Yutongs won't see any use at Scotstoun. The three that have arrived are 65120/22/23 and are just stopping over on their way north.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I feel so bad for the drivers doing the 90 just now. It's a long enough route as it is without really bad roadworks in multiple places on the route. I'm less aware of any roadworks on the south end of the route but the Partick roadworks at Byres Road are still awful and the set at Hawthorn Street are also utterly horrendous.

Today when I was on the M3 on Hawthorn St, there were 2 90s together going towards Braehead on the other side of the road from me and everything was held there for about 10 minutes just with the roadworks, as well as an ambulance trying to get past towards Springburn. The roadworks seem to have gone on for a while, as I first remember passing them well over a month ago now.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
47393 on the 2. Saw it heading towards Baillieston out of service shortly beforehand so possibly covering a defective bus. Passengers looked cosy to say the least :lol:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Due to traffic and the Wishaw roadworks, buses were being cut short at Motherwell all over the place today. I saw 3 266s out of 4 cut there as well as another 4 within 8 minutes, with 240s starting there to Glasgow and 241s going out of service too. This was around the 2-4:30pm period today as I was up and down North Lanarkshire a fair bit, so ended up in Motherwell twice.

Joerf21

Does anybody know when the new E200s for Scotstoun are due? I read they were due in March, then May, now we are nearly in June; any updates?

Buzby

In the past 3 days I have had 3 buses not show up on two of First Glasgow services the 88 and 88A. I regularly use the Bus Checker app and in each case, saw the minute countdown displayed. Expecting to see the minutes reducing before ‘Due’ being shown, it now displayed the timetabled arrival time, before scrolling off as the bus did not arrive. Anyone experienced this and is aware of how a bus that shows 3 minutes to arrival can simply ‘disappear’? Is there a ‘stealth mode’ I don’t know about?

Leedsbusman

In the past 3 days I have had 3 buses not show up on two of First Glasgow services the 88 and 88A. I regularly use the Bus Checker app and in each case, saw the minute countdown displayed. Expecting to see the minutes reducing before ‘Due’ being shown, it now displayed the timetabled arrival time, before scrolling off as the bus did not arrive. Anyone experienced this and is aware of how a bus that shows 3 minutes to arrival can simply ‘disappear’? Is there a ‘stealth mode’ I don’t know about?
Yes. It’s likely because the journey wasn’t cancelled in the system but the previous journey on the bus working did run and cross journey predictions expected this one to run. Eventually it turned to schedule as it wasn’t tracking.

PaulMc7

Established Member
From what I was told when I asked about cancellations in the past, there isn't a member of management free to input them into the system, hence why the app is incredibly misleading. They do need to find a better way to do things though because there really is no way of knowing especially if you are waiting on a bus at the beginning of a route. One time a couple of months ago, my 57 left Silverburn going to Auchinairn but at Darnley, the driver got a message to say their relief driver hadn't come in so the service was cut at Shawlands. That's how last minute it can be.

Buzby

Interesting- it fairly shook my faith in the system. I have seen some displayed at the bus stop showing CANCELLED immediately after the timetabled time (which I thought was impressive). But if they’re not having the staff to update the system then the accuracy rate is going to take a hit, especially if the Traffic Commissioner decides to look into all this false positive departures misinformatio.

G42

A bus has hit the low bridge at Cook Street at Bridge Street. Blue light services are in attendance now. The roof has come off completely.
(Photo of scene attached below)

Attachments

• 6131DEDE-A299-48FF-9647-AD4D3FAAC2FE.jpeg
    6131DEDE-A299-48FF-9647-AD4D3FAAC2FE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 100

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Glasgow Times has a report here:

Multiple Glasgow roads have been closed due to an ongoing incident.

A road traffic incident occurred shortly before 12pm on Sunday at Cook Street near Eglington Street.

The incident involved a bus hitting a bridge.

ScotRail tweeted that its services to and from Paisley Gilmour Street are affected by the incident.

Tickets are being accepted on McGill's bus services.

Buzby

I was at the NLS Media Centre at Kelvin Hall on Friday, viewing a video of this very bridge being swapped in (after the old one had been walloped so many times in the past) and it isn’t helped by the next bridge off Eglinton Street being higher!

I’ve just noticed the reporter is a bit challenged by not knowing how to spell ‘Eglinton’ - just like the trackside cabin on the main line. DyslexiaRUs….

oh - you can also view the same video here: NLS Moving Image Archive

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpeg
    IMG_0207.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
So much for their low bridge warning system…

It’s actually been turned off for that bridge, I suspect, due to its extremely close proximity to the main road next to it.

jagardner1984

A pricey wee trip to the workshop I suspect ! A tea with no biscuits moment for sure.
(Image shows the remains of a bus under a bridge with the roof hanging off at the back)

Attachments

• C9C061E8-FF1B-4646-847A-BADEDF1E1AC8.jpeg
    C9C061E8-FF1B-4646-847A-BADEDF1E1AC8.jpeg
    653.3 KB · Views: 52

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'd like to remind everyone that any images posted must be accompanied by a text description; this makes your posts more accessible. Also, if it isn't your own photograph, you should only post it with permission and the photographer should be credited.

PaulMc7

Established Member
So much for their low bridge warning system…

It’s actually been turned off for that bridge, I suspect, due to its extremely close proximity to the main road next to it.
It's probably a combination of that and the fact the first bridge on Cook Street is significantly higher than the second so buses can fit under the first one. It's not the first time a vehicle has hit that bridge and it definitely won't be the last.

Communication of the diversions to drivers seemed to be majorly lacking though. I've seen a few people online say that their driver had to phone the depots to ask what it was and my driver on the 2 earlier had to ask the one changing off of my bus what it was when he was taking over at Scotstoun.

SarahDFIG

A pricey wee trip to the workshop I suspect ! A tea with no biscuits moment for sure.
(Image shows the remains of a bus under a bridge with the roof hanging off at the back)
Likely will be withdrawn due to age. 33908 SN11 FPA E400 was the vehicle involved.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There's now a separate thread for the bridge incident. Please continue the discussion here: