• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
Interesting- it fairly shook my faith in the system. I have seen some displayed at the bus stop showing CANCELLED immediately after the timetabled time (which I thought was impressive). But if they’re not having the staff to update the system then the accuracy rate is going to take a hit, especially if the Traffic Commissioner decides to look into all this false positive departures misinformatio.
The bus stop displays are as bad as First's app. At one point when First were even more short of drivers than they are now, I was waiting for a bus and 3 different services were all showing as cancelled, yet all 3 of them turned up. I do wonder if the traffic commissioner ever will get involved because I personally feel like it would have happened by now if it was ever going to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SarahDFIG

Would make sense to use this vehicle now as a donor once First get it back from Police Scotland to get one of the E40H back on the road. Since they are lying rotting away.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Would make sense to use this vehicle now as a donor once First get it back from Police Scotland to get one of the E40H back on the road. Since they are lying rotting away.
Haven’t they been scrapped? I’m sure I seen photos months ago.

SarahDFIG

Haven’t they been scrapped? I’m sure I seen photos months ago.
They are parked in Campbell's yard in Alexandria and have done for months. As far as I am aware their fate hasn't been determined yet. Last I heard the book value was too high to scrap them and they were looking at options to get them converted but all went silent. They were moved out to Campbell's to give Scotstoun space to get EV chargers installed. Probably picked Campbell's for storage in case they decided to take the hit and scrap them.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
They are parked in Campbell's yard in Alexandria and have done for months. As far as I am aware their fate hasn't been determined yet. Last I heard the book value was too high to scrap them and they were looking at options to get them converted but all went silent. They were moved out to Campbell's to give Scotstoun space to get EV chargers installed. Probably picked Campbell's for storage in case they decided to take the hit and scrap them.
Thanks for the update. It seems like a waste of modern buses which could be out in service especially low heights.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Thanks for the update. It seems like a waste of modern buses which could be out in service especially low heights.
I fully agree with this as it would allow for the 6 to be all double decker operated. I also think the 3 could do with some more double deckers as it's usually packed at peak times constantly now. If Bustimes.org is accurate today, there are 2 Streetlites on the 3 currently and 1 on the 2 as well.

Another service they could be used on is the 34 due to the low bridge on Titwood Road. The E400s were used on it earlier in Covid. Speaking of the 34, I'm surprised First have never explored the option of splitting that between Scotstoun and Caledonia. Obviously, the need for drivers to use the subway through to Govan for changeovers would be the main issue but currently, Battlefield isn't the best changeover point.

Bus Lightyear

I fully agree with this as it would allow for the 6 to be all double decker operated. I also think the 3 could do with some more double deckers as it's usually packed at peak times constantly now. If Bustimes.org is accurate today, there are 2 Streetlites on the 3 currently and 1 on the 2 as well.

Another service they could be used on is the 34 due to the low bridge on Titwood Road. The E400s were used on it earlier in Covid. Speaking of the 34, I'm surprised First have never explored the option of splitting that between Scotstoun and Caledonia. Obviously, the need for drivers to use the subway through to Govan for changeovers would be the main issue but currently, Battlefield isn't the best changeover point.
The 34 doesn't need double deckers.

What are the issues with the E40Hs, seems bizarre to have modern hybrids just rotting away, when they could be used in service?
The eyewatering cost at getting them fit for service could be the reason. Didn't Lothian dispose of their hybrids?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
What are the issues with the E40Hs, seems bizarre to have modern hybrids just rotting away, when they could be used in service?
I recall them being very unreliable with lots of breakdowns. I remember there was talk of them going to Potteries at one time but that never happened. They were then supposed to be getting converted to just standard diesel buses but I imagine it was too expensive given their age and now they’ve been rotting away. Shame really as they were nice buses and the type is still widely used.

PaulMc7

Established Member

The eyewatering cost at getting them fit for service could be the reason. Didn't Lothian dispose of their hybrids?
From my own experience, there are definitely certain times of the day where double deckers could certainly help on the 34. It can be pretty busy at times.

cnjb8

Established Member

Converted to diesel, used by Lothian for a while after, then sold to Wellglade
I recall them being very unreliable with lots of breakdowns. I remember there was talk of them going to Potteries at one time but that never happened. They were then supposed to be getting converted to just standard diesel buses but I imagine it was too expensive given their age and now they’ve been rotting away. Shame really as they were nice buses and the type is still widely used.
The type is still widely in use but mainly in diesel form now. First West of England also withdrew theirs that were Converted so maybe its First policy to withdraw them

sannox

From my own experience, there are definitely certain times of the day where double deckers could certainly help on the 34. It can be pretty busy at times.

The 34 can be pretty busy at the peaks since the frequency drop to every 15 minutes but off peak singles are fine. Surprised it stops so early too. It was decker operated before and used Shawmoss Road to avoid the low bridge but First Stop Travel ran in competition direct using Titwood Road on that route so they changed as well.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 34 can be pretty busy at the peaks since the frequency drop to every 15 minutes but off peak singles are fine. Surprised it stops so early too. It was decker operated before and used Shawmoss Road to avoid the low bridge but First Stop Travel ran in competition direct using Titwood Road on that route so they changed as well.
The drop off in passenger numbers with the 34 and 77 seems to be massive in the evening which is the only reason I can think of as to why they both finish earlier than a lot of services. I think the imbalance between off-peak and peak passenger numbers is a huge issue at the minute. I use a lot of different services as I'm out on random wanders almost daily at the moment and a lot of them are still a bit quiet off-peak although there is definitely some growth with the better weather already showing.

With peak services, there aren't many services that double deckers wouldn't help massively but the peak isn't a wide enough time frame for First to focus on leaning towards more double decker operation outside of a few services. The 2 is the main one that's gained more double deckers but it was absolutely needed given the frequency drop from every 8 minutes pre-covid to every 12 minutes now.

route101

Established Member
The drop off in passenger numbers with the 34 and 77 seems to be massive in the evening which is the only reason I can think of as to why they both finish earlier than a lot of services. I think the imbalance between off-peak and peak passenger numbers is a huge issue at the minute. I use a lot of different services as I'm out on random wanders almost daily at the moment and a lot of them are still a bit quiet off-peak although there is definitely some growth with the better weather already showing.

With peak services, there aren't many services that double deckers wouldn't help massively but the peak isn't a wide enough time frame for First to focus on leaning towards more double decker operation outside of a few services. The 2 is the main one that's gained more double deckers but it was absolutely needed given the frequency drop from every 8 minutes pre-covid to every 12 minutes now.
I reckon the drop in numbers with 34 is the fact it runs outside the City Centre. Secondly any route with elderly passengers, as they don't tend to stay out late.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I reckon the drop in numbers with 34 is the fact it runs outside the City Centre. Secondly any route with elderly passenger's, as they don't tend to stay out late.
I agree with that, to be honest. Glasgow Clyde College does still do evening classes for some subjects as far as I know but even the 10 that goes closer to it struggles to pick up many evening students. I think the problem with the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in general is that the services First offer don't really have a lot of variety, although they're a bit limited by competing with Mcgills and Stagecoach. Car parking being free is another problem for First, too.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Are Scotstoun short of buses or are the allocations just becoming a bit more random now? 2 Streetlites on the 3 again, 2 on the 90 and even an E400 on the M60.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 68 plate E400MMC in urban livery also seems to be on the 3 according to Bustimes.org.

PaulMc7

Established Member
How long is it usually from the vehicle getting transferred to actually tracking on a route?
I'm glad you've asked this as I'm also wondering whether there are a lot of tracker issues at the moment. I've noticed quite a few buses that have been running but not tracking when I've been out over the past week.

E400Lover101

I'm glad you've asked this as I'm also wondering whether there are a lot of tracker issues at the moment. I've noticed quite a few buses that have been running but not tracking when I've been out over the past week.
That is exactly what i was wondering with SN65 ZGE and SN65 ZGH. as I don't know when they will be on the road.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I can't remember if it's ever been mentioned but would First ever do training in double deckers for new drivers? I personally think it would be smart given that a lot of services see the odd double decker here and there and it would help drivers get comfortable with more vehicle types.

Spsf3232

I can't remember if it's ever been mentioned but would First ever do training in double deckers for new drivers? I personally think it would be smart given that a lot of services see the odd double decker here and there and it would help drivers get comfortable with more vehicle types.
Once you're behind the wheel of a single decker or a double decker there isn't much of a difference to drive with the extra height. Only thing to be aware of is the vehicle's height and this must be for both single and double deckers.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Once your behind the wheel of a single decker or a double decker there isn't much of a difference to drive with the extra height. Only thing to be aware of is the vehicles height and this must be for both single and double deckers
Thank you for the information. In terms of drive, has there been much of a difference between the older vehicles and the newer electric ones? I've seen some different vehicles being used for familiarisation purposes but I wasn't sure just how different it is now with all of the new buses we've had in recent times.

On another note, when I was upstairs on a 7 earlier, I noticed a lot of Yutongs in a line near the building entrance. Are they slowly being transferred up to Aberdeen now?

E400Lover101

Yes, as I have seen LG72 DZN (38467) on Driver training duties for the 18 as I had seen it sitting in Greenhills.

Also the Yutongs will be slowly getting transferred to First Aberdeen.
On another note, when I was upstairs on a 7 earlier, I noticed a lot of Yutongs in a line near the building entrance. Are they slowly being transferred up to Aberdeen?

Buzby

Are Scotstoun short of buses or are the allocations just becoming a bit more random now? 2 Streetlites on the 3 again, 2 on the 90 and even an E400 on the M60.

I was on a visit a few years ago when Anniesland had closed (and replaced with new-build Scotstoun). Whilst marvelling at the facilities I heard (then) that the purchase of the old Freightliner depot (Caledonia) would take precedence and - potentially- cause Scotstoun to close once a reasonable timeframe had elapsed.

I wonder if this is now a serious option once the various grants etc have been discharged?