• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding the new and recent electric double deckers, is there a chance that they be banned from being allocated to routes that use the motorway as it seems they are not designed for that purpose?

I was on the X3 earlier on today (38477) and also a couple of Sundays ago, and both instances were the new electric double deckers. When running along the M80 from Hornshill to M8 Royal Infirmary, they go at a snail's pace.

For context, a couple of Sundays ago, I returned to Cumbernauld on the Ember E3, and even though it is an electric vehicle, it went along the motorway quite rapidly. Today returning to Cumbernauld (it was the exact same electric vehicle 38477) while along the M8/M80, the X85 (which had the yellow 75 branding) overtook and left the X3 for dust.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Regarding the new and recent electric double deckers, is there a chance that they be banned from being allocated to routes that use the motorway as it seems they are not designed for that purpose?

I was on the X3 earlier on today (38477) and also a couple of Sundays ago, and both instances were the new electric double deckers. When running along the M80 from Hornshill to M8 Royal Infirmary, they go at a snail's pace.

For context, a couple of Sundays ago, I returned to Cumbernauld on the Ember E3, and even though it is an electric vehicle, it went along the motorway quite rapidly. Today returning to Cumbernauld (it was the exact same electric vehicle 38477) while along the M8/M80, the X85 (which had the yellow 75 branding) overtook and left the X3 for dust.
I think the top speed of the E400 EV is only 45ish that’ll be why. It is possible to have electrics only on certain boards but management at Caley obviously dont see this as an issue

NIT100

I think the top speed of the E400 EV is only 45ish that’ll be why. It is possible to have electrics only on certain boards but management at Caley obviously dont see this as an issue
Do you know if that is the top speed specified by ADL or set by First using onboard speed limiters?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
They're limited to 42mph. Go above that and the dashboard throws up an overspeed warning.

The E400EVs don't hold up well to sitting at higher speeds flat out for long periods of time at all. Stagecoach Bluebird use theirs on rural work and two examples have recently been off the road getting new drive motors already, one of which is a 72 plate.
The Yutong TCe12s Ember use are set up for 60mph running.

Last edited:

I’m pretty sure its just the maximum speed it can achieve without limiters but don’t quote me on that
No doubt the Alexander demonstrator 38400 has a higher speed since it has been in use on the 500 on the M8. With a limit of 70mph. Probably something like 60mph like Ember.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
No doubt the Alexander domonstrator 38400 has a higher speed since it has been in use on the 500 on the M8. With a limit of 70mph. Probably something like 60mph like Ember.
It doesn't, all the BYD/ADL Enviros are limited to 42mph.

The existing Enviro400Citys don't go that fast on the motorway either. It wouldn't surprise me if the Enviro400Citys First Glasgow use on the 500 are limited to 50mph, each time i've travelled on the McGill's Citaros on the Clydeflyer service it has overtaken the 500 quite easily sitting on the limiter at 62mph.

lastbus

The existing Enviro400Citys don't go that fast on the motorway either. It wouldn't surprise me if the Enviro400Citys First Glasgow use on the 500 are limited to 50mph, each time i've travelled on the McGill's Citaros on the Clydeflyer service it has overtaken the 500 quite easily sitting on the limiter at 62mph.
The 500s aren’t limited to 50 but the driver cannot break the speed limit or they will be pulled in for speeding by management. I’m pretty sure most of if not all the stretch of motorway between the city and airport is 50mph limit.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The 500s aren’t limited to 50 but the driver cannot break the speed limit or they will be pulled in for speeding by management. I’m pretty sure most of if not all the stretch of motorway between the city and airport is 50mph limit.
I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a bit at 60 or 70?

I took the 500 less than 4 weeks ago both ways, but there were roadworks to 40 for a good portion westbound, so we didn't really get much speed going.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I couldn't comment on the specific speed limits for any stretches of the motorway, just the fact that anytime I've been on a McGill's Citaro it has gone flying past the 500 in the outside lane.

ScotRail158725

Established Member

Ive been on 33107 thats done 58 on the 500

I’m pretty sure most of if not all the stretch of motorway between the city and airport is 50mph limit.
Is west of Braehead not 70? Im pretty sure thats faster than between the City Centre and Braehead

Stan Drews

Established Member
Ive been on 33107 thats done 58 on the 500

Is west of Braehead not 70? Im pretty sure thats faster than between the City Centre and Braehead
It depends on whether you are travelling east or west how much the 70 limits cover, but there are some decent stretches, particularly westbound, when not restricted by temporary roadworks!

alphabravo43

I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a bit at 60 or 70?

I took the 500 less than 4 weeks ago both ways, but there were roadworks to 40 for a good portion westbound, so we didn't really get much speed going.
Yes, under normal conditions the M8 westbound changes from 50 to 70 at the Govan junction with Helen Street and then back down to 60 between the Paisley Airport. And the same in reverse roughly, though the 40mph average speed cameras are a bit of a speed killer just now, I think the road works are there until the end of July going by the signs

Volvodart

Established Member
First Bus Glasgow plan to scrap night buses delayed

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23656361.first-bus-glasgow-plan-scrap-night-buses-delayed/

FIRST Bus have confirmed that it will be delaying the withdrawal of its Glasgow night bus services.

It comes after McGill’s Buses announced it was "very serious" about launching its own Glasgow night bus service.

First Bus will be delaying the withdrawal of the service until August 20, following a meeting with Glasgow City Council.

Duncan Cameron, managing director of First Bus Scotland, said: “This move is designed to provide more time for all partners – operators, politicians, public sector agencies and the hospitality sector – to review wider transport options late at night in the city.

“It also gives an opportunity for the people of Glasgow to get behind the night bus services as we maintain an open mind regarding future options in conjunction with stakeholders should passenger numbers increase as well as our driver numbers.

“It is important all stakeholders take learnings from the past six months and from the significant levels of discussion that have taken place this week.

"In Scotland, 75% of all public transport journeys are made by bus. It’s vital that when given the opportunity to engage on all bus matters, representatives from all partners stand up and input their views before a decision is finalised.”

Councillor Angus Millar, city convener for transport at Glasgow City Council, said:

“Glasgow City Council has been working constructively with First Glasgow and I welcome First’s agreement to extend night bus services for several weeks to allow for further engagement and exploration of key issues including patronage, routes and staff availability to take place with key partners.

“While the Council presently has no regulatory role in the bus sector, we can help facilitate further discussion around a sustainable future for night bus services with those regional and national agencies with statutory roles including SPT and Transport Scotland, key stakeholders from the evening economy and neighbouring local authorities.

“Alongside First we have also previously asked that the Scottish Government extend free bus travel for concessionary travel card holders including under-22s to night services and reiterate that call.

“The public interest in the future of night bus services makes clear the critical importance of bus to the travelling public and all stakeholders must work together on an ongoing basis to support improvements to the city’s bus network. In the meantime, all of us with an interest in the vibrancy and vitality of the evening economy must get together to look at the wider issues of late night public transport.”

EMU303

Last edited by a moderator:

stevenedin

Maybe FG genuinely want to see if they can make it work....... or perhaps they didn't expect (or like the idea of) McGills taking on the night services and potentially embarrassing FG and tentatively muscling in on their territory?
The thing is, if McGill’s get it right they could potentially win over passengers for daytime services and if further new daytime routes were launched, it would take away passengers from First but I’m not convinced McGill’s performance will be that great considering the mess of a service they have in the east.

The thing is, if McGill’s get it right they could potentially win over passengers for daytime services and if further new daytime routes were launched, it would take away passengers from First but I’m not convinced McGill’s performance will be that great considering the mess of a service they have in the east.
The night service weren't even great in the first place, Places like Springburn, Balornock and Barmulloch had the N57 axed a good few years ago, hardly anything to the North of the City.

roadierway77

Maybe First Glasgow genuinely want to see if they can make it work, or perhaps they didn't expect (or like the idea of) McGill's taking on the night services and potentially embarrassing FG and tentatively muscling in on their territory?
I'd certainly expect it to be the latter. First don't want McGill’s to start taking hold of non-contract services in Glasgow - they'll see it as somewhat of a threat to their dominance and thus they'll want to stop any further McGill’s expansion.

sannox

McGill's service in the west is nothing like Eastern Scottish tbf.

E400Lover101

33992 is dead. According to bustimes.org. What a place to break down, On the M6.

Someone please remove this and last post.

Last edited:

Buzby

For most of this week there has been no tracking on the 88 and variants X85 and X87, indeed 75% of my local buses - even their app and shelter displays are only showing the timetable. Conversely, 247 between Monklands Hospital to Kirkintilloch which previously only showed up in timetable mode (it’s a Canavan Travel service) now tracks when it didn’t before.

I wonder what’s happening?

Rory N

Some of the former Aberdeen E200s that are supposed to be working out of Dumbarton are working on Blantyre routes. Are these transfers?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Some of the former Aberdeen E200s that are supposed to be working out of Dumbarton are working on Blantyre routes. Are these transfers?
I saw one yesterday on the 201. I thought it was just Dumbarton that had them but it makes sense that Blantyre are seeing them too as most E200MMCs are there.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I saw one yesterday on the 201. I thought it was just Dumbarton that had them but it makes sense that Blantyre are seeing them too as most E200MMCs are there.
It was just Dumbarton but some have since been transferred over after just a couple weeks service there