• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First group driver online assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Hi
Took sje and verify test a while ago nothing to say I passed says completed successfully not sure if that's a pass?
If you take the tests does that mean your app passes the pre screen?
Some people have just had telephone interview invites others have rejections but no news on my application

Just wondering if people have experience of how this process works.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
Hi
Took sje and verify test a while ago nothing to say I passed says completed successfully not sure if that's a pass?
If you take the tests does that mean your app passes the pre screen?
Some people have just had telephone interview invites others have rejections but no news on my application

Just wondering if people have experience of how this process works.

Looking at your post logically if you complete anything successfully it can only be a pass

Silv1983

I did the SJT for First TPE a few days ago for driver. It said I completed it successfully, but I doubt it worked out there and then my score. Just sitting tight for now, i'm sure there were many many applications.

Nic nic

I did a sjt for fgw to be a shunter a few months back. All that message means is that you have filled it out in the correct manner your results ( pass or fail) Will be emailed to you.

beavercreek

Mr Silv are you about to give up your Four day working week :).

Good luck and hopefully welcome to FTPE.

DunfordBridge

When I applied for the driver role back in February, I completed the Situational Judgement Test and the Verify Checking Test on the Tuesday night and received an invitation for the telephone interview the very next day. Unfortunately, I was unable to progress beyond the interview.

MR Silv, are they still running the Verify Checking Test these days?

Silv1983

I've not heard of the Verify Checking Test before so guessing not? Not unless I get an email soon. Perhaps the system has changed slightly. When I applied for trainee driver a couple of years ago the online system was abismal. It seems to have had an overhaul judging from the newer, sleeker online application.

Not sure they do telephone interviews as it wasn't documented in the guidelines and "what happens next" part of the application.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I've not heard of the Verify Checking Test before so guessing not? Not unless I get an email soon. Perhaps the system has changed slightly. When I applied for trainee driver a couple of years ago the online system was abismal. It seems to have had an overhaul judging from the newer, sleeker online application.

Not sure they do telephone interviews as it wasn't documented in the guidelines and "what happens next" part of the application.

See if you think that when it comes to the checking test, if they do it that is! :p haha

red2005

When I applied for the driver role back in February, I completed the Situational Judgement Test and the Verify Checking Test on the Tuesday night and received an invitation for the telephone interview the very next day. Unfortunately, I was unable to progress beyond the interview.

MR Silv, are they still running the Verify Checking Test these days?

did u do the situational judgement assessment online then? I didn't have to do that until I got to the assessment centre! was it the one with 21 questions or is this a separate one to the one you do now in the assessment centre?

obviously every company is different but I thought the assessments where the same across the board now?

DunfordBridge

Hi red. The test was in fact an online test. I received an invitation by email after completion of the application form. Conversely, I have just applied with Southeastern and the first part of the application was a Situational Judgement Exercise, again to do with customer service. If I remember rightly, with Southeastern, you had to successfully complete the SJE before you could start the application form.

I take it you are thinking of the Situational Judgement Test that is used in conjunction with the Multimodal Interview as part if the stage 2 driver assessments. I have yet to take part in the new type of assessments.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It is my impression that these SJEs are being used to whittle the numbers down so the number of applications is more manageable.

red2005

Hi red. The test was in fact an online test. I received an invitation by email after completion of the application form. Conversely, I have just applied with Southeastern and the first part of the application was a Situational Judgement Exercise, again to do with customer service. If I remember rightly, with Southeastern, you had to successfully complete the SJE before you could start the application form.

I take it you are thinking of the Situational Judgement Test that is used in conjunction with the Multimodal Interview as part if the stage 2 driver assessments. I have yet to take part in the new type of assessments.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It is my impression that these SJEs are being used to whittle the numbers down so the number of applications is more manageable.

hiya mate!

oh right fair enough!

yes when I did it I was at the assessment centre doing it with that hazaed perception type test and the 2 hand test!.

yes I believe it is one way for them to narrow down the numbers and probably the only fair way of doing it I suppose but i'm sure u will be fine buddy! how do u think u did?

DunfordBridge

No pun intended, red2005, but my application for Scarborough driver earlier this year hit the buffers after the telephone interview, just coming to the end of my 6 month ban with First Group. I am guessing that my lack of customer service experience let me down as I learnt from a previous conductor application.

Still waiting to hear from Southeastern about my more recent driver application.

red2005

No pun intended, red2005, but my application for Scarborough driver earlier this year hit the buffers after the telephone interview, just coming to the end of my 6 month ban with First Group. I am guessing that my lack of customer service experience let me down as I learnt from a previous conductor application.

Still waiting to hear from Southeastern about my more recent driver application.

there is an awful lot of luck involved with these situational judgement things buddy and even so with the telephone interviews!

you could have more than one perfectly good sounding answer to what they are asking ( in the real world) and would be the right answers for other companies however if it's not what they are looking for on that day your stumped! and in the interview if the lady interviews you then you pass but if the man interviews you then u fail or vice versa! a lot of it is right time right place with these railway jobs mate and unfortunately customer service is a minefield. 99.9% of it is purely opinion.

you have just got to keep plodding on no matter what knock backs you get mate. if there is one thing I have noticed since getting the job all them years ago ;( is that they love perseverance! the people that do one after the first rejection are generally the ones who either don't want it enough or are just doing it for the money on offer.....perseverance shows them that you have a bit more in your locker than that!

WHEN you get to you're interview make sure that you do something that makes you stand out.....for example.....pay a visit to the depot you have applied to in your own time and ask the staff questions on the traction you will work....the routes you will sign and even about the local instructions that may be in place for that depot as despite being local instructions they could still be safety critical....this shows you have used your initiative and one of the questions I was asked was.....'what have you done to prepare for this interview' lol

you will be perfectly fine buddy

DunfordBridge

Thanks red2005, I have been applying solidly for about three years now, on and off for over a decade. Absolutely no intention of doing one. Have a bit of a laugh in the office sometimes but be good to be on a train.

I have actually visited the York LMD on a few occasions now and occasionally engage in conversations with the Transpennine crew so I must be doing something right. Never thought about enquiring about local instructions though.

red2005

keep going then buddy!! took me 7 years :D

that's a cracking start mate! yes lil extra's make the difference! it's all about making yourself standout positively given the numbers that apply ;)

I've recently gone through the process so if u ever need anything just drop me a PM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.